Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

How do I clean a Corsair H70 Radiator?

Last response: in Overclocking
Share
January 19, 2013 2:05:15 AM

before anyone says anything, yes I read the sticky posts about cleaning and maintenance for the Corsair H series.

Okay, here is my problem though. Compressed air isn't getting the dust out of my radiator, and I have it in a push pull config so its very hard to access. I would really like to clean it without taking it out of my case because it took so long to get into there in the first place. Please tell me what I could do to clean in without taking it out, but if you see no other option then so be it. :( 
a c 324 K Overclocking
January 19, 2013 2:41:07 AM

Can you post a pic of the difficulty? I would think compressed air would be the best option other than pulling the rad and running it under water. Maybe there are other options, but none that come to mind.
Score
0
a c 176 K Overclocking
January 19, 2013 6:15:31 AM

Would just unscrew the fans from the rad, hold it inside the PC case and spray it, then re-mount. Wouldn't involve taking the CPU block off or anything overly complicated.

While in effect you will have just transferred the dust to the rest of the system, its easier to clean there.
Score
0
Related resources
a c 190 K Overclocking
January 19, 2013 8:19:59 AM

Fire, cleanse it with fire
:p 
Moto
Score
0
January 19, 2013 9:03:48 AM


OP you really didn't post enough info on how your rad is mounted though the point is sord of moot anyways. Either you take it off to clean it or use compressed air and get what you can. There's not really many options.
Score
0
January 19, 2013 4:37:28 PM

kingnoobe said:
OP you really didn't post enough info on how your rad is mounted though the point is sord of moot anyways. Either you take it off to clean it or use compressed air and get what you can. There's not really many options.


More information
It is a H70, so I only assumed people would think that it was mounted in the back of my computer and I said it was in a push pull config... so one fan on each side. Because of that push pull config, I cant simply take one fan off as the mounting screws hold the first fan to the case, the radiator to the first fan, and the last fan to the radiator, so I either take the whole thing out or leave the whole thing in.
Score
0
January 19, 2013 4:43:55 PM

manofchalk said:
Would just unscrew the fans from the rad, hold it inside the PC case and spray it, then re-mount. Wouldn't involve taking the CPU block off or anything overly complicated.

While in effect you will have just transferred the dust to the rest of the system, its easier to clean there.


The tubing that connects the CPU block to the radiator is very stiff and I fear of dropping it and breaking other components, as I wouldn't be able to replace them. But when I do blow compressed air through the radiator, no dust comes out at all, but I can see a layer of dust over the fins of the radiator, but I can also see straight through the radiator with no blockage. Does that mean it is clean? The temps I get go no higher than 45-50C when playing very intensive games (overclocks to 4.0Ghz) and it idles at 28-35C (which I think is irrelevant as my CPU down-clocks to 2.6Ghz when in idle)
Score
0
a c 190 K Overclocking
January 19, 2013 6:42:26 PM

Remove the whole rad/fan assembly as mentioned and you'll be able to peel off the layer of lint before blowing through with a can,
just try to move it as little as you need to and you'l be fine
Moto
Score
0
January 19, 2013 9:57:51 PM

Motopsychojdn said:
Remove the whole rad/fan assembly as mentioned and you'll be able to peel off the layer of lint before blowing through with a can,
just try to move it as little as you need to and you'l be fine
Moto


Ill try that tomorrow, unless do you think I could get tweezers and grab the lint through the fan blades, or would that be a bad idea?

also sorry for late replies, I've been pretty busy
Score
0

Best solution

a c 190 K Overclocking
January 19, 2013 10:25:01 PM

Bad idea, half-hearted attempt won't fully clean and you risk poking the fins which damages cooling
Do it properly and reap the benefits :-)
Moto
Share
January 21, 2013 12:29:13 PM

Motopsychojdn said:
Bad idea, half-hearted attempt won't fully clean and you risk poking the fins which damages cooling
Do it properly and reap the benefits :-)
Moto

Alright, I will try taking it out this afternoon when I get home.
Score
0
January 31, 2013 12:09:44 PM

Best answer selected by Pepto.
Score
0
a c 190 K Overclocking
January 31, 2013 12:45:30 PM

Thank you for B.a., all went well I assume?
Moto
Score
0
!