Sign in with
Your question
Solved

RevoDrive TRIM?

Last response: in Storage
April 10, 2012 8:29:11 AM

I'm considering to buy a RevoDrive. But i've read something about some version not having TRIM. I don't know much about TRIM, but most people recommend me to take a SSD only if it has TRIM.

Can someone tell me if not having TRIM is enough to let me just get a normal SSD, and maybe if this version have TRIM?

OCZ RVD3-FHPX4-120G
http://www.alternate.nl/html/product/Solid_State_Drive_...

The site where i'm going to buy it, doesn't say if it has or not. But if I compare it to other SSD's, it says TRIM SUPPORT > No, but that might be that it just isn't filled in, and it automatically shows No?

Can someone help me out?

More about : revodrive trim

a c 99 G Storage
April 10, 2012 10:18:11 PM

If, and only if, you have a new motherboard, supporting SATA III, go for 2 x SSD in RAID 0. It'll be cheaper and faster and the RevoDrive.

Make sure your motherboard is listed as supported for the RevoDrive, too. And that you can boot from PCI-e drives.
m
l
Related resources
April 10, 2012 10:33:38 PM

i didnt think that that was supported with trim.... look at it another way 2 ssd 120 say wildfire drives or vertx 3 in raid 0 will more then out do a revo drive.. if you really want to get down and dirty just get 4 60 gb drives and put them in raid 0 your choice you wouldnt notice a difference either way .. because unless your transfering large files all the time ... 1 ssd drive with sata 3 would be more then enough .. i have a patriot wildfire drive and my windows 7 rating is 7.9
m
l
April 11, 2012 6:23:58 AM

I'm taking Sabertooth Z77 as mobo.
But what about the IOPS? Will RAID0 provide more IOPS?? I guess not..
m
l
April 11, 2012 6:27:15 AM

Btw, another site who sells it http://www.mycom.nl/Product/-/-/1195732 says that it does support TRIM, does that standardly mean there is TRIM on it.. or only on special machines or special OS? because i've read something about Windows not supporting TRIM on RevoDrives
m
l
April 11, 2012 6:48:23 AM

Actually raid 0 IOPS on mushkin chronos deluxe drives is faster than a revo gen 3 although not as fast a gen 4 which is up to gigabit speeds but your paying closer to 4k for one drive then. So basically you get "incredible random write up to 120,000 IOPS (4KB Aligned)" whereas the two mushkin chronos deluxe 60 gb drives will get you 180,000 IOPS so you tell me which one is faster?

Not only that your only paying 240$ for two drives instead of 400$ for that revo crap drive lol.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Or the 120gb edition non deluxe http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... for 125$ each with 90k IOPS.

Unless your getting a high end revodrive they are junk nowadays compared to what new SSD's can push out man. For example you would have to pay close to 900$ to notice a difference of 40k more IOPS than what you could get from those two SSD's in raid 0. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
April 11, 2012 7:33:13 AM

Oke, i see what u mean there.. But i don't fully get it..
If 1 Mushkin has 90.000 IOPS (Internal Operations Per Seconds) does it really mean that 2 Drives double the Operations? I mean... Don't both drives have to operate 90.000 per second then?

And some people tell me SSD in RAID0 isn't worth it.. due to delay or something??? can someone who knows what he's talking about tell me the pro's and con's of RAID0 :p 

Btw: My country: Mushkin deluxe 120 = €170 (x2 = €340) RevoDrive = €300
m
l
April 11, 2012 7:41:12 AM

Oh and is Mushkin 120 € vs Mushkin 120 Deluxe €170 Really only 10mb/s Read difference? i don't think 10mb/s is worth €50
m
l
a c 265 G Storage
April 11, 2012 10:49:58 AM

kemperkipie said:
Btw, another site who sells it http://www.mycom.nl/Product/-/-/1195732 says that it does support TRIM, does that standardly mean there is TRIM on it.. or only on special machines or special OS? because i've read something about Windows not supporting TRIM on RevoDrives

The Revo drive supports trim according to OCZ (see link above) just as long as the OS does like win 7.
m
l
April 11, 2012 10:55:20 AM

So if i just install Windows 7 Proffesional on it. it will have TRIM support? Can someone confirm that to end this thread?
m
l
April 11, 2012 6:17:01 PM

The difference in the deluxe vs non-deluxe is that it has a Toshiba NAND flash chip inside which are usually only found in about 6-7 high end 240gb and 400+gb SSD's because the Toshiba chips have a much longer lifespan than the other ones. About a 3 year increase in writecycles before it doesn't write anymore.
m
l

Best solution

a c 311 G Storage
April 11, 2012 7:03:47 PM

I need to clear up a misunderstanding.

TRIM is not an ssd feature or function. TRIM is a Microsoft Windows feature that was first introduced in Windows 7. It is a message from Windows to the ssd indicating data has been deleted. The ssd can then use that information to compliment it's own "garbage collection" process.

Garbage collection simply refers to the process of preparing data blocks and making them available for use. Garabage collection works with or without the Microsoft Windows TRIM feature.

There are some old ssd's that do not recognize the Windows TRIM Feature. In addition, there are some configurations such as RAID setups that do not recognize the Windows TRIM feature. In these situations garbage collection works very well without the Windows TRIM feature.

I wouldn't get too excited about IOPS. It is just another synthetic benchmark that has been abused by ssd manufacturers, especially OCZ. IOPS was originally developed to determine data storage needs for enterprise class servers. Unless you are a rocket scientist or own a global bank, 95,000 IOPS is total overkill. In a real world situation a typical desktop pc would very very rarely require more than 20,000 to 40,000 IOPS.

As others have already mentioned, PCI-e based ssd's aren't really that great for gamers, enthusiasts, and desktop use. They're performance is lacking. There are some incredible PCI-e based ssd's but they were designed for enterprise and scientific use. Prices for the really good ones start at $1,600.00 USD and go up from there. In addition, you would have to have the right components and configuration to support the ssd.
April 12, 2012 6:39:13 AM

So will it be better to buy that "OCZ RVD3-FHPX4-120G"
Or should I get: "2x Mushkin MKNSSDCR120GB-DX - RAID0"
Or maybe just: "1x Mushkin MKNSSDCR240GB-DX"

Since TRIM won't work in RAID0 as well?

And since u seem to know a lot about SSD, which is the most important Feature of an SSD, and why?
m
l
April 12, 2012 6:58:22 AM

I would go with the 1 big Mushkin over the 2 in raid 0 unless you absolutely need the speed for something like video rendering on the fly or something that requires close to gigabit throughput as possible. Even your internet will max out before you can even utilize 120mb write speeds on a hard drive. The 240gb Mushkin has 16 of those toshiba chips in them for a lifespan of about 5 years past the competition without the toshiba chips. The 120gb editions only have 8 so that will not have as long of a lifespan but they would be faster than a single 240gb drive.

Even a single drive of that speed will get you 7.9 Windows 7 score.
m
l
April 12, 2012 7:41:37 AM

So if i just need 120GB, i should take Mushkin 120GB Deluxe, for best performance. Instead of RevoDrive or any RAID setup?
I just want to speed up load times of games, windows etc.
m
l
April 12, 2012 2:44:16 PM

If you want to speed up load times and such a 120gb Mushkin deluxe would be plenty unless you wanted the headache of revodrive i would not recommend it. It is very picky about your motherboard settings and if your motherboard doesn't support hard drive booting from PCIE x4 then your SOL sort of until you can tinker with the settings to make it work.

A raid 0 would be more than enough speed but honestly you wouldn't even see a difference in raid 0 SSD's unless your heavily rendering/read/writing like crazy but then you would go through the drives anyway in a matter of months instead of years. The only time i would even say raid 0 SSD's would be for ones that are still sata II and you can get 2 120gb Sata II SSD's for cheaper than one Sata III 120gb SSD.
m
l
April 13, 2012 6:26:09 AM

But still, RAID0 does affect load times, doesn't it? I'm going to game with it, and want to boot PC as quick as possible, since i won't let my pc powered on all day..
I've done some research and will not take RevoDrive, because booting wil still be long due to some driver loadtimes or something..
m
l
April 13, 2012 8:45:56 PM

If your going to game with it i would still recommend no raid for money reasons but if money isn't an issue by all means go for raid 0 its just that you wouldn't see that big of a difference in load times already blazing fast since then your CPU would bottleneck the load times if hard drive is no longer the bottleneck of the system.
m
l
April 23, 2012 6:54:03 AM

Best answer selected by kemperkipie.
m
l
!