Dual processor motherboard

Yargnit

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2010
Only sever boards support dual processors. LGA1156 is a home socket, not a server socket, furthermore, the i5 655k (nor any i3/i5/i7) will don't support being using in a dual processor configuration.

If you want to run a dual processor board you'll have to either look to something in the server market, or like the EVGA SR2 http://www.evga.com/articles/00537/ at the extreme high end.

Either way, you'll be looking at a Xeon processor based off the LGA1366 socket. (The same socket the high end i7's use, but only the Xeon version of the chips will work in dual processor mode)

Short answer, none exist that meet your requirements because they are incompatable.

subairijas

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2010

Hai
Thanks you guided me right path.

Can you suggest me some good single socket mother board for XEON E5530.

Yargnit

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2010
Do you have the processor already?

The reason I ask is that if not your options would be a lot more open going with something like an i7 950 desktop processor and a standard motherboard.

This motherboard; ASUS P6T WS PRO LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Core i7 / Xeon Intel Motherboard is designed to work with Xeon chips, but you're adding significant cost by going the Xeon route without any real benefit if you only go with a single processor. (You do get ECC RAM support, but that's for a very specific usage scenario)

If you need dual processors, you can do it, with something like this:

Intel Xeon E5620 Westmere 2.4GHz 12MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 80W Quad-Core Server Processor BX80614E5620 x2

ASUS Z8PE-D12(ASMB4-IKVM) Dual LGA 1366 Intel 5520 Tylersburg SSI EEB 3.61 Dual Intel Xeon 5500 and 5600 Series w/ Remote Management Server Motherboard

You just have the added costs of an even more expensive motherboard, dual processors, and double the RAM.

FYI this isn't my area of expertise, so I an basically going off Newegg's limited server part selection to do my best since you asked.

What exactly are you going to be using this system for?

ancientscream

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2011
due to intels pricing model and artificial deliberate market segmentation and lack of competition, intel will not produce dual processor boards for i3/i5/i7 chips, though this be fully within the realm of possibility. This is so they can reserve the concept of 8 - 12 core machines for server level only, if they wanted intel could produce a dual processor i5 2500k, which could then evidentially be clocked at 5ghz yielding 40ghz in a single box/machine very usefull for render farms and those who currently need as much power as they can get, there is no reason apart from pricing models why this machine could not be built for under a grand, but technology companys want to make as much money as possible, so they drip feed change into the market at their own pace, because amd and intel together are not providing enough market competition to make such a machine possible, it would be more likely for amd to offer a cheap 12 core system than intel if it were to happen. though its probably possible to build a dual processor opteron system cheaper, once you look into pricing a dual processor xeon or opteron system you begin to realise a mac pro though expensive is a reasonably priced system compared to doing it yourself.

it would currently and probably for the near future be more cost effective when building a render farm to buy quad i5 2500k's and overclock them to 5ghz or single 6 core phenoms, than buy or build any 8 or 12 core systems, purely from a pounds per gigahertz render-farm perspective.

TRENDING THREADS