Sign in with
Your question

Graphics card

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 2, 2010 12:11:09 PM

Hello,
i waould like to know i am buying a new pc and what graphics card am i going to need to play most up to date games
im not really into shooters so would that matter thanks

More about : graphics card

a c 125 U Graphics card
March 2, 2010 12:20:14 PM

It would be helpful if you could list the rest of the components in the PC your buying, including the monitor that you will be using and don't forget the powersupply make and model
Also what is your budget for the graphics card?
March 2, 2010 12:48:40 PM

sorry my bad im looking to spend no more than £700 ideally
im also looking at an intel i5 750 processor and 4gb ram(is that enough) plus a decent hd monitor and ocz stealth extreme power supply
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
March 2, 2010 1:10:33 PM

Sounds good, what's your graphics budget?

Leaving that question aside, I could throw some darts towards the 5770 being a good candidate for your build. You could get a second one down the road and XFire them to get a nice boost. If you can spend a good 300's, then a 5850 would be a nice card to get.

Cheers!
a c 125 U Graphics card
March 2, 2010 1:19:44 PM
March 2, 2010 1:21:11 PM

Would I better off buying the 5770 first with the option of getting another 1 later if need be or just stumping up the cash for the 5850
a c 125 U Graphics card
March 2, 2010 1:21:52 PM

Would be great if you could afford a 1920 x 1080 monitor and a 5850 but that would put you well over your budget.

Yuka the OP is talking £ not $ he would need roughly £220 for a 5850 (not 300)
a c 271 U Graphics card
March 2, 2010 1:23:56 PM

Your post should be but the OP only asked about a graphics card, and you link to an expensive site that gets a slating for it's customer service and is out of stock on the card you link to.
a c 125 U Graphics card
March 2, 2010 1:31:50 PM

I was only suggesting some components to the OP, It doesn't really matter if some of the items are out of stock as they are just suggestions, besides we don't know when the OP is going to buy. I was actually trying to be helpful, I don't see you helping the OP in any way.

At OP: It would be a good idea for you to shop around to find the best deal, heres a few good sites that I know of:

Scan.co.uk
Ebuyer.co.uk
Aria.co.uk
Novatech.co.uk
Overclockers.co.uk
a b U Graphics card
March 2, 2010 1:33:10 PM

Thanks, fatal. I noticed it later, lol.

And bromleyspur, like fatal said, it might put you over your initial budget going with the 5850 from the start. Look for good deals regarding the 5770 (there should be some) and get the second one down the road; and obviously, get a XFire capable mobo :p 

Cheers!
a c 271 U Graphics card
March 2, 2010 1:39:06 PM

Rustyy117 said:
I was only suggesting some components to the OP, It doesn't really matter if some of the items are out of stock as they are just suggestions, besides we don't know when the OP is going to buy. I was actually trying to be helpful, I don't see you helping the OP in any way.

At OP: It would be a good idea for you to shop around to find the best deal, heres a few good sites that I know of:

Scan.co.uk
Ebuyer.co.uk
Aria.co.uk
Novatech.co.uk
Overclockers.co.uk

I notice you don't mention the GSOD issues, lets hope the OP does not run into them if they do follow your advice. ;) 
a b U Graphics card
March 2, 2010 3:58:27 PM

overclockers used to have a bad rep for customer service many years back - Really Really bad!

But they have sorted themselves out and usually treated me well over the years and are easy to talk to in my experience - I shop with them a lot.

For example:
The Good
I returned a faulty product + swapped it for a cheaper one. Then used the spare money towards a G15 mk1 KeyBoard (Years back lol ) but was about £5 short, but they just sent me one out and said not to worry about the extra money :D 

About 2 weeks ago my bro ordered a new system from them, was a delay in goods arriving, we called them (usually easy to do) and turned out the 5770 we chose was out of stock - thye upgraded him to a better one for about £5 worth free :) 
They Usually ship out fast! But keep an eye on the order tracking as their as their delayed due to out of stock item did not work right for this occasion...

The Bad
They sent me used Asus P5K Prem as a new purchase --- but was all pre-opened + internal bags etc Very obviously a return they just sent back out :fou: 

I notified them straight away - they would not send out replacement till they got it back (wanted for Xmas!!!) Did appologise though saying they are not aware of such things happening.
They refused to let me buy another one and on the old ones return refund me :( 

I should have used distance selling regs to force it to happen this way!

was 2 weeks B4 Xmas - so I decided to make a play with it and hope all was well...
All was not - gradually over months got more and more instability probs.
Standard RMA later was happy again -- 2 weeks on old PC.

Sometimes they are cheaper than others - but some parts you can sometimes save on elsewhere like www.aria.co.uk
Their prices are usually good, but check - as sometimes have seen them charge Way too much for the odd item!

Their selection is about the best about though and I will keep shopping there + on the whole think they are a good site to buy from :) 

(still not happy about that MB though :pfff:  )

a b U Graphics card
March 2, 2010 4:21:33 PM

I'd try for a bigger monitor as you will keep this for many years, like:

overclockers - BenQ G2420HDBL 24" Widescreen LED Monitor £150.99
if you don't need HDMI (£164.49 at aria atm...)

or

overclockers - BenQ V2410 Eco 24" Widescreen LED Monitor £184.99
if you need an HDMI port

Asus ATI Radeon HD 5770 CuCore £129.99
comes with nice OCing tools

My bro got the Saphire VaporX 5770 and has no GSOD issues at all.

On a 24" screen you will ideally be wanting a 5850 or to Xfire 2 5770's...
1 5770 will be fine for most games, but not at 4xAA and should handle high settings - with maybe one or 2 tweaks for some settings on a modern game.

The rest of the sugessted items look great to me :) 
a c 125 U Graphics card
March 2, 2010 4:52:35 PM

Mousemonkey said:
I notice you don't mention the GSOD issues, lets hope the OP does not run into them if they do follow your advice. ;) 

Well even if he does have issue's, he's got us here at Tom's to help him out :D 
a c 271 U Graphics card
March 2, 2010 7:41:07 PM

Rustyy117 said:
Well even if he does have issue's, he's got us here at Tom's to help him out :D 

The guys over at Hardocp have been more proactive at trying to sort out the GSOD issues than most posters on this forum from what I've seen. Kudos to Scotteq for first posting that link earlier by the way.
!