Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

PSU Cables Too Short?

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Silverstone
  • Power Supplies
  • Cable
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
Share
March 15, 2010 10:59:45 PM

I'm going to build a system using the Silverstone FT02 and read that some PSUs have SATA cables/connectors too short to reach the front of the case when using the preferred cable routing (it's long). I've been looking but haven't found any "extensions" or replacement cables, but maybe I don't know what to look for?

Note - the PSU I'm considering is the Seasonic X750 as I want something quiet.

Thanks all.

More about : psu cables short

a c 77 ) Power supply
March 15, 2010 11:06:41 PM

I have not heard of SATA cables being too short. I've heard of the 8-pin ATX PSU connector being too short to run behind the motherboard. They make an extension for that.

I have an Antec 1200 and my SATA cords are plenty long enough on my Corsair 850TX to do cable management.
m
0
l
March 15, 2010 11:24:05 PM

tecmo34 said:
I have not heard of SATA cables being too short. I've heard of the 8-pin ATX PSU connector being too short to run behind the motherboard. They make an extension for that.

I have an Antec 1200 and my SATA cords are plenty long enough on my Corsair 850TX to do cable management.


Thanks tecmo34. I read reviews that said the Corsair cables are pretty long. I'm really open to a PSU suggestion that would for me. I don't think I need 850W (i7-920, ati 5770, a couple of drives...). Do you think the 750W version of corsair would be a good fit given I'm looking for quiet operation?
m
0
l
Related resources
a c 77 ) Power supply
March 15, 2010 11:43:27 PM

Actually, you could get away with the Corsair 650TX or HX models. They have plenty of power for your build.
m
0
l
March 15, 2010 11:51:17 PM

Yep to the 650W. But I want to keep a little headroom for a possible future upgrade to my gpu setup. Like dual 5850 or 5870. Though that would likely be a while away.
m
0
l
a c 77 ) Power supply
March 15, 2010 11:58:31 PM

If you do plan on upgrading to a 5850 or 5870 dual cards, than you will want a Corsair 750TX/HX, an Antec EA-750 or an Antec TP-750.

You don't list your case thoughts/size but if you are open to it, the Antec 1200 & Antec CP-850 is a great combo deal... :) 
m
0
l
March 16, 2010 12:04:24 AM

tecmo34 said:
If you do plan on upgrading to a 5850 or 5870 dual cards, than you will want a Corsair 750TX/HX, an Antec EA-750 or an Antec TP-750.

You don't list your case thoughts/size but if you are open to it, the Antec 1200 & Antec CP-850 is a great combo deal... :) 


I'm getting the Silverstone FT02... probably ordering tonight or tomorrow.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I like the looks and it is supposed to be quiet. But it's got an unorthodox layout (rotated motherboard) and is kinda long (like 23") with the psu at the back, so I was worried about the cable lengths reaching all the way to the front.

I'll look at the Antec case though too... thanks for the suggestion.
m
0
l

Best solution

March 16, 2010 12:36:47 AM

jetpack said:
I'm going to build a system using the Silverstone FT02 and read that some PSUs have SATA cables/connectors too short to reach the front of the case when using the preferred cable routing (it's long). I've been looking but haven't found any "extensions" or replacement cables, but maybe I don't know what to look for?

Note - the PSU I'm considering is the Seasonic X750 as I want something quiet.

Thanks all.

I assume it will come with one of the CP05 hot-swappable adapters and that has a long enough connector that the length of the molex cable is a non issue (the one that comes installed on the FT02). On my FT01 I bought the remaining 6 and they are daisy chained and I only need one molex to power all 7.

As for the length of the cables on the X-750 There is one each of molex and sata that are from plug to the connectors (not including the actual connector just the wire length) a distance of 21.5" to the 1st with 6" between the next two which makes the last one 33.5" from the plug. there is also another pair that is 4" shorter which is 17.5" to 1st and 29.5" to the last.

It really looks to me that you should have no problem reaching your drives with the included cables.

Here is what my FT01 looks like. I like the size with having space for 7 HD's.



Share
March 16, 2010 1:51:42 AM

Ancient_1 said:


Here is what my FT01 looks like. I like the size with having space for 7 HD's.

http://webpages.charter.net/chew_toy/Ci7/casexb.jpg


Nice!

The FT02 is about 5" longer at about 24" deep. And the power supply gets mounted on its side so it's probably 20 inches straight shot to the drives plus whatever it takes to route behind the back...maybe 10". That means at least one of the cables should work.

BTW - do you like the PSU?

m
0
l
March 16, 2010 3:16:02 AM

I like it and if you are looking for quiet it will suit your needs fine. Last wek I did a OCCT power supply test and for about 45mins of it the fan didn't spin and when it finally did it was slow enough that I could almost see the individual blades. I also liked that the 8 pin connector was long enough to reach behind the MB tray. My M12D 8 pin was too short and the main axt cable too thick to fit behind so when I went to replace my 6+ year old Antec I decided to go with the X-750 in my main rig and move the M12D to my 2nd.
m
0
l
March 23, 2010 2:41:44 AM

Best answer selected by jetpack.
m
0
l
!