mdasgupta389

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2010
Hey everyone,
I just recently set up an HTPC with an HD4670 gfx card. I originally just wanted the gfx card to play games but recently got an hdtv so I figured I might as well set up an htpc. All I figured I had to do was get an DVI to component cable. However, having connected the cable to the tv I see nothing happening. No online guide goes over how to get the gfx card to stop transmitting over vga and instead switch to dvi. How do I go about doing this? Please dont reply "It should do it automatically". It hasnt for me, so please offer solutions. Thanks a lot! You guys are lifesavers.

Mainak

Solution
Although a monitor or a TV is NOT part of your computer, oddly enough graphics cards make use of monitor "drivers" to set themselves up. Check the website of your vid card maker or ATI for a driver to use with an HD TV like you have. Install that driver. Then go into Video Properties and try setting its output to the signal your TV wants to have - like 720p, or 1080p, etc.

mdasgupta389

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2010
the tv input is set to component as it should be. Believe me Ive gone over the basic stuff. One thing that a friend suggested is that the tv should be set to receive an hd signal. What does that even mean? Is there any way for me to force monitor detection?

jack_attack

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2009
Heh, just checking.

Have you tried running the DVI cable to a known working monitor? It could be something as silly as a bad cable. Might be an HDCP issue, but that's not my strong point.

I'd start weeding out problems that way first. If you get signal on a different LCD, it's your other output, if not, then it's cable or GPU.

mdasgupta389

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2010
I dont have a monitor with a component input sadly. Lets assume that its not a faulty cable or gpu for now. If we run out of solutions then we'll assume the problem is with the cable. In the meanwhile, the monitor has detected itself twice and is duplicating the display...on itself. Any tips on how to get rid of a second extraneous display?

mdasgupta389

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2010
I cant post a pic but basically when I hit identify I get a giant 1/2 on the same monitor. Im trying to force catalyst control center to detect my tv but it wont do it. I thought this would be a plug and play day =[

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Although a monitor or a TV is NOT part of your computer, oddly enough graphics cards make use of monitor "drivers" to set themselves up. Check the website of your vid card maker or ATI for a driver to use with an HD TV like you have. Install that driver. Then go into Video Properties and try setting its output to the signal your TV wants to have - like 720p, or 1080p, etc.

Solution