BSOD caused by PSU?

enginex

Distinguished
May 24, 2010
I bought a PC about a month ago and put it together, not having a huge amount of knowledge about building computers. I mostly built it so I could play Team Fortress 2 at decent FPS.

Unfortunately, I've had problems the whole way through, the first of which was a hard drive failure (click of death), but now I'm experiencing sound loop crashes in TF2 (which runs at a good 100-200 fps when I manage to actually get IN game), to explorer.exe randomly freezing for a few minutes, to straight up BSOD (usually accompanying the sound loop). When I looked in my BIOS, it said my 3.3V rail was running 3.45V, but that my 5V was running as low as 4.3V and my 12V running 10.5-11V.

Could this be the source of my problems? Or is there another, more likely cause?

My specs are:
Raidmax Smilodon Black Case
Raidmax 500W PSU
AMD Athlon II X2 2.8gHz
Sparkle Nvidia GeForce 9500 GT
ASUS M4A785-M motherboard
2gb RAM
Windows 7 Home 32-bit

vvhocare5

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2008
Blue screens are never from a typical source. You need to look at the basics..

I would measure those voltages with a handheld volt meter to verify what is being reported. If the reading are the same then the PSU is a likely source. System operation would be a little erratic with those voltages.

Is this a new PSU? If yes, return it... If not go buy a nice new one.

There are a whole number of things that can cause a BSOD

Can you run Prime95 stable?

What are CPU temps? Sometimes the heatsink isnt installed properly (which can lead to BSOD) and overheats.

Good Luck

ram1009

Distinguished
I agree with measuring the voltages but be sure to measure them under load. If you get a new supply I suggest getting the highest wattage quality supply you can afford. Running a PSU near it's limit is NEVER a good idea. The few extra dollars for a good BIG supply are the cheapest insurance you will ever buy for your new build.

Blues screens are normally caused either by faulty memory or bad drivers (particularly video drivers). You could try and run a memory test program and try changing the video driver to either the latest version or an older version.
A faulty or under powered power supply can cause memory problems but try running the memory test program overnight first.