3 HDD - 1 as OS & Apps - 2 as Raid 1?

kanis

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2007
I've been searching on Google and skimming the forums, but I figured I would ask since I can't seem to find the information or at least enter a query that gets me to the correct information.

What I would like to do is set up one drive as an OS & Application drive, and have two other drives set up as Raid 1 for storage (Photo's, Music, archives etc). Is this possible? Also can you have multiple sets of Raid 1 on one machine ( 5 drives = 1OS + 2 Raid 1 + 2 Raid 1)?

I've read that Raid 1 is slower than just a single drive or other raid configurations, but I thought that if I set up the storage files this way I would have more security if a drive fails. Am I wrong?

Lastly the two drives will be the same make/model/size but I'm thinking down the road when/if one fails can it be replaced by a different kind or does it have to be identical? This would limit the retrieval would it not?

Thanks for any clarification you may be able to provide.
Regards,
K

Solution
Also can you have multiple sets of Raid 1 on one machine ( 5 drives = 1OS + 2 Raid 1 + 2 Raid 1)?

Yes! You'll set the SATA ports to RAID in BIOS, then upon BIOS post, you'll go into RAID setup (<Ctrl>+<I>). You'll setup which array, what settings, it's name, and then choose the drives for that array.

As I have said many times before, RAID 1 is NOT a vaible backup. But, as you stated, it will "save" you in the event of drive failure.

As stated above, YES, the drive SHOULD be the make, model, size, and rpm. But don't HAVE to be. You'll be limited by the smallest, slowest drive.

tomatthe

Distinguished
How many drives and what type of raid can be used is based on the computer you are hooking them up to. Post what system, or motherboard you are using if you have that info.

Most prebuilt systems likely will not have a controller that supports multiple raid sets, but probably would support 1 OS drive and one Raid 1 set with 2 drives.

Raid 1 isn't a bad way to duplicate data, but you might want to think about just adding an external drive and having Windows backup the the drive nightly rather then getting into raid. If you already have drives you want to use you may want to look into buying just the enclosure and putting one of the drives you've already got into it.

It's not a requirement, but generally people use two drives that are at least the same space. If you use drives that are different size then the space of the raid set will only be that of the smaller sized drive.

kanis

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2007
I have the Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3. I could use an external USB drive for back up but everything I keep reading says that I would be better off setting up a raid 1.

I'm currently only using a single 1TB Caviar Black Western Digital HD, but wanted to know what was the best option before making the next purchase. I also have two external HDD's both USB and each 1TB, but I worry about their stability.

Thanks for the information thus far.

Also can you have multiple sets of Raid 1 on one machine ( 5 drives = 1OS + 2 Raid 1 + 2 Raid 1)?

Yes! You'll set the SATA ports to RAID in BIOS, then upon BIOS post, you'll go into RAID setup (<Ctrl>+<I>). You'll setup which array, what settings, it's name, and then choose the drives for that array.

As I have said many times before, RAID 1 is NOT a vaible backup. But, as you stated, it will "save" you in the event of drive failure.

As stated above, YES, the drive SHOULD be the make, model, size, and rpm. But don't HAVE to be. You'll be limited by the smallest, slowest drive.

Solution

kanis

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2007

Thanks for the information. I'm curious what you mean by not a viable back up choice, but I can save that question for another day.
One final question, can I set up one RAID 1 and add a second RAID 1 at a later date? Or does all of this need to be set up when installing Windows 7 over again?

tomatthe

Distinguished
Assuming your controller supports multiple raid sets you can setup another one whenever you add the new drives.

Not a viable backup basically meaning its in the same device, if that machine is stolen, destroyed etc the duplicate data in your raid set is useless as the machine is gone or completely destroyed. Backup what you really care about to a cloud service, and backup the rest within reason for what it would cost you to replace.