Overclock for Video Editing.

Theokondak

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2010
Greetings!Today, is a day off during my exams, and i thought that i could work a bit on looking how to overclock my PC.I looked over some threads in this forum, but my brain is already so full on numbers and information, that i was unable to understand them fairly enough and besides that, i want to overclock my PC on a diferent aproach than most people.I want my PC to be tuned for better video rendering and video editing in general.

So i decided to create a thread in order to ask you what should i do, and what should i care the most for.

My hardware is:
Mobo: Gigabyte Z68X-UD3P-B3 (firmware: )
RAM: 2x G.Skill f3-17000CL9-2GBXL
2x G.Skill f3-17000CL11-4GBXL
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2500K CPU @ 3.30GHz
Power Supply: XILENCE 550W

If you need any more info please let me know, i will be watching this post closely.

steddora

Honorable
Nov 13, 2012
Overclocking is overclocking whether it be for max framerates or better processor performance. So the first thing you need to list is what cooler you have.

When you're overclocking, you're going to be pressing more stress to the CPU and possibly adding more voltage creating even more heat. So you need to first and foremost have the proper cooling.

No the biggest thing when it comes to overclocking the K-series processors is making sure that you realize that they usually come stock with a VID that is actually higher than what the chip requires. My 2600K (which is nearly identical to your 2500k aside from the 2600k having hyper threading) was extremely over volting at stock auto voltage settings. So you need to look into that. I actually would have better temperatures at a 4.2Ghz overclock with under volting than I would at stock clocks with automatic voltage.

Stock voltage ranged from idle at 0.9v to 1.35v at load however it was completely stable at 0.85v at idle with 1.100v at load at stock frequency.

So... Cooling, Voltages, and making sure your paying attention to the temperatures. With the Hyper212+ with a pair of high performance fans on it I run at 4.4Ghz and run colder than I did at stock settings with the stock cooling at 1Ghz slower.

Google the following terms to learn about some of the settings you may encounter.

CPU Multiplier
Intel Turbo Boost Technology
LLC (Load Line Calibration)
Offset Voltage
CPU PLL voltage

And the last bit I can tell you. In my world, I don't like my Sandy Bridge chip to break 70C with IntelBurnTest. Using IntelBurnTest will show you temperatures that nothing you could ever do would cause. So IntelBurnTest will show you really bad instabilities and max temperatures. However it won't see small instabilities that may cause issues over time. So I suggest running Prime95 for at least 4 hours and would suggest a 24 hour run to find if your overclock is completely stable.

Remember to read, read, and then read some more before actively overclocking.

Theokondak

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2010
I am sorry i forgot to mention that.I have a prety good air cooler (a huge passive cooler with an 12" fan attached on it).Some time ago i used to have my CPU clocked to 4.4Ghz (a friend did the overclock for me).During summer my max temp was like 70C on 4.4Ghz, so my guess is that with my setup and my CPU clocked at 4.4GhZ i will never go over 70C and thats all that matter i guess.So you think that doing these tests will really matter?

Since i am not feeling that geeky about overclocking, i am not in the mood to do a huge research myself.I got so many things to do all day long, that usually when i am done, all i want to do is die in my bed :p

I will search for these terms though and get an idea.

Theokondak

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2010
Ok so, i've got some time to read some tutorials and to test my settings, and i managed to get my CPU to 4.4ghz with max temp 70C during IntelBurn Test.I tried to get him to 4.5GHZ but it will crush during the stress test.

My max Voltage is 1.416 and drops to 1.000 when idle at 1.6ghz.I've enabled LLC at 4.

I've managed to get my RAM to 1600mhz and 9-9-9-24 timings at 1.52v

Stress tests i've managed to complete without error was Intel Burn: Standard, Threads All and 10 times run.Should i go for more?Tried some video rendering without any problem.

Also, i would like to ask: A friend of mine, told me that the best kind of overclock i can do to my RAM is to try and decrease the timings instead of increasing its MHZ.Keep in mind that my consern is Video Editing, which means a lot of read/write.

If i missed somthing feel free to ask, or if i am doing something wrong feel free to give some suggestion.Its my very first time trying to overclock.