Sign in with
Your question

How to apply icdiamond 7, question for users of it

Last response: in CPUs
May 25, 2010 1:29:09 AM

Well after reading all the threads im about to go pickup a tube of this tomorrow to apply on my new build.
Im reading different ways to apply it though, supposedly that some say to just put a pea size dot on processor then apply heatsink, others say you have to kind of heat up tube then apply a thin slide?? Then some say that it can clump up or create air pockets if not done right
What is the correct way to do it, ive only used as ceramique in the past with a small pea dot but if theres many ways this can go wrong its kind of making me want to reconsider using it.
Hopefully someone can clear this up for me
a c 133 à CPUs
May 25, 2010 1:46:55 AM

The way they recommend and the way I found worked best was put a pea size glob in the center of the processor. Now it is recommended that you let that pea size glob sit on the processor as is like that for 5 to 10 minutes before putting heat-sink back on I tried numerous methods and this was the way that yielded best results. When putting the heatsink back on give it a little bit of a half twist left to right while appling a little bit of pressure this will spread it pretty good and then the pressure from the holding clips will do the rest also as it heats up it will thin out a little more about an hour or two cure time with the computer on and you are good to go.

This is what I found to get the best results I tried spreading it but its just way to thick to spread with a card. I tried the 3 lines and that seemed to be the worst method for this product so do as I did and you will get the best results.
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 25, 2010 1:49:20 AM

Proper Application Method
http://innovationcooling.com/applicationinstructions.ht...

Quote:
Figure 1-Proper Application of an approximately 5.0-5.5 mm bead on center example on left utilizing a synthetic IHS. The primary reason we recommend a compression type spreading is that we have found that the best results are attained with a compression type spreading.

The grease spreads uniformly and minimizes the introduction of air bubbles in to the thermal interface joint, a potential cause of grease failure that will affect long term reliability which can be observed in the following examples

Quote:
Figure 2-Here we have the simulated IHS clamped between two slides with 50 psi force applied with the 5.0mm-5.5mm bead application spread pattern by compression.

Simulated mount was heated heated in an oven @ 100C for 20 min to flow the compound. Paste is smooth and even with no visible air pockets.

m
l
Related resources
May 25, 2010 2:20:01 AM

thanks! i will go ahead and use that method then, is it true though that this stuff can tear away amd logo or scratch it which can void warranty, or did this only happen to certain people
m
l
a c 133 à CPUs
May 25, 2010 2:30:42 AM

That only happens when you reapply the paste a bunch of times but this will happen with most thermal compounds when you clean the compound off it is kind of a mild abrasive so it could remove the Logo over numerous applications but it wont just do it applying a few times.
m
l
May 31, 2010 6:35:24 PM

Thanks i applied it but am to afraid to check if it was done right, because im assuming air could get into it after removing it from fan, and it was annoying getting fan on so for now i will assume it is fine!
m
l
June 15, 2010 5:07:27 PM

well applying thermal compound is driving me crazy, i was overclocking and noticed my temps were getting a little to hot so finnaly checked my cpu and only the middle section of the cpu was covered with compound. Applied it again and at idle my temps were hotter and noticed again its only covering the damn middle! I added a little bit more and booted up and it is a little colder then last time. but not as cold as it even was the first time. I have no idea how its even possible with the dot in the middle for the cpu to be covered completely. This is driving me crazy
Also when cleaning with 91% isopropyl my cpu appears to already have permanent stains on it from the goo part of my serial on chip is all grey and no matter how hard i scrub it doesnt come out.
On a weird note my idle cpu temps are warmer then first time i applied but my load is down a few c's
m
l
!