Install OS on SSD or HDD with SRT?

holyindian

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2009
Hi all,

I think i am a bit confused. I was going through an article on Smart Response Technology, the SSD caching and all, and got a little bit confused. The article mentioned installing OS on the HDD, and enabling SRT for SSD Caching. I was under an impression that OS should be installed on the SSD for faster boot times and performance boost.
However the approach of installing OS on the HDD with SRT enabled for SSD is confusing to me. Whats good??

This is my first built, and i will be using Win 7 Ultimate 64bit for a i7 2600K CPU. For this, i brougth a Crucial M4 128GB SSD, was planning to install the OS on it. Now with this new srt thing in am kinda confused.

Also, I have another question a couple of weeks back, i was reading on another thread, couple of members were mentioning about using two SSD drives. Not sure what that was, i just manged to catch the drift, and did not pay much attention as i wasnt looking for a new built then. What is the benefits of using two SSD drives, if et all that is important.

Please guide.

Solution
In your case it would probably benefit you more to install the os directly on to the ssd and use a spindle hard drive as storage. Srt is meant to be used with smaller sized ssd (60gb or less). The srt will basically start remembering which programs you use the most and store them as cache on the ssd. When in windows you will not see the ssd as a separate drive as the srt will combine the hdd and ssd into ” one drive”. The other thing you where talking about is probably 2 ssd drives being used together in a RAID configuration.

Install the os on your ssd, along with your favorite and most used games and programs, you will gain far more benefit from this then using srt.

robertris2

Honorable
Mar 26, 2012
In your case it would probably benefit you more to install the os directly on to the ssd and use a spindle hard drive as storage. Srt is meant to be used with smaller sized ssd (60gb or less). The srt will basically start remembering which programs you use the most and store them as cache on the ssd. When in windows you will not see the ssd as a separate drive as the srt will combine the hdd and ssd into ” one drive”. The other thing you where talking about is probably 2 ssd drives being used together in a RAID configuration.

Install the os on your ssd, along with your favorite and most used games and programs, you will gain far more benefit from this then using srt.

Solution
The fastest is to install your OS on the SSD! SSD caching will speed up HDD but it is not nearly the gain that you see with running the SSD as OS and program drive. Smaller SSD's like 30-40GB would be the choice for cache drive!
Raid 0 on identical SSD would be fast.