Sign in with
Your question

New Gaming Rig Build , looking for some input

Last response: in Systems
Anonymous
a b 4 Gaming
March 16, 2010 2:30:53 AM

So I have been looking into making a new desktop gaming rig. So far I have come up with these which can be changed depending what comes out before next school year starts and now. Money isnt much of an issue however, I wouldn't like some outrageous priced parts.
motherboard: EVGA X58 3way SLI Classified
CPU: i7 930 (will be overclocking)
GPU: GeForce GTX 285 (x2 or x3)
RAM: 6GB (3x2GB) Munshkin DDR3 PC3-16000 with ascent heat sinks (will overclock some)
PSU: Enermax Galaxy 1200W or Enermax Revolution 85+ 1050W
HD: between intel X25-M or some OCZ SSD
Case: Lian Li PC-A77F

I still need to find a good gaming cooling kit so if anyone has any suggestions I'm open.

For the RAM I could go with G.Skill PC3-16000Tridents, G.SKill PC3-17066 or some Corsair Dominator GT2 PC3-18000

SSD any input be helpful, I know the intel's write speed is slower then the OCZ SSD but for gaming does write speed matter much or is it mostly in the read speed? I'll also obtain a 1TB or higher regular HDD for storage.

Also a quick question, would obtaining 1 large SSD over a couple smaller SSD put into RAID0 be benefical, or is there ot much of a difference.

More about : gaming rig build input

March 22, 2010 3:10:47 AM

May I suggest you get the the i7 920 instead? It's also very overclockable, and can lead to similar performance when this is done properly. As for your GPU, feel free to check out the recent article on the best graphics cards for your money.
a b 4 Gaming
March 22, 2010 3:15:41 PM

Completely disagree with r_manic. The i7-930 is a better CPU and is only a few bucks more expensive.

I'm just going to throw that build out. I'll explain with every piece I replace. I'm also assuming you have a massive budget.

CPU/Mobo: i7-930 and Asus P6X58D Premium $580

Same CPU. This motherboard is definitely better than the EVGA. EVGA boards are overpriced and don't offer very much in terms of features. This is a USB 3/SATA III board, and easily the highest quality one out there.

RAM: Mushkin Enahnced Redline 3x2 GB 1600 mhz CAS Latency 6 $210 after rebate.

Fastest sticks on the market. You don't need anything faster than 1600 mhz.

GPU: HD 5970 $700

Best video card out there. It is literally overkill for everything. You will only need one, and that will be likely to last you until you need an entirely new build. You do not want to touch nVidia right now, as all the best GPUs are made by ATI at the moment. Fermi may change that, but no benchmarks have been released yet.

SSD: Corsair Nova 128 GB $319

OCZ SSDs aren't that good. Here's a great one that isn't too expensive. If you really want to save some money, don't bother with a SSD yet. They don't do anything for gaming.

HDD: Seagate 7200.12 1 TB $90

One of the fastest HDDs out there. The fastest is $30 more for almost no difference.

PSU: OCZ Z Series 850W 80+ Gold $170 after rebate

Great high efficiency PSU. This would be enough to power two 5970s. 1kW is massive overkill.

Case: HAF 922 $90 after rebate

It's huge, and easily one of the best, if not THE best, case on the market. There is no reason to spend more than this, as you won't get anything more.

Optical (if needed): Cheap SATA DVD burner $24

HSF: Prolimatech Megahalems Rev.B $85 (with 2 fans)

The absolute best air cooler made. It's also massive and expensive.

Total: $2,268
!