Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

What degree to get

Last response: in CPUs
May 25, 2010 2:21:27 AM

:hello:  Hey guys I would like to engineer CPU's for AMD and was wondering what degree I should get in that field?? Any ideas?? :D 

More about : degree

May 25, 2010 2:37:29 AM

computer engineering......most of what you'll need to learn will be taught in grad need to focus on digital systems and computer microarchitecture...
May 25, 2010 2:43:21 AM

Thanks so when i take classes i will go for digital systems and computer micoarchitecture
or go for the degree in computer engineering
Related resources
a c 81 à CPUs
May 25, 2010 3:18:35 AM

DO you intent on being a chip designer..?? Coz in that case you'll be needing to study at the hardware level and i don't think computer engg. stream deals with that.. You'd need to learn VLSI and embedded electronics in that case..
a b à CPUs
May 25, 2010 8:04:06 AM

Well there's no such degree like 'computer engineering'. You mean to say computer science.
And yes, designing chips means working in hardware @ the nanotech level, so comp science (which is mostly about software programming) won't be of any help here. I have a friend who did his BTech in Electrical engg & then got an Mtect in Solid State Science from MIT. Now he's working in Intel. So I'd say, you'll need degrees of the aforementioned sort to get into CPUs.
May 25, 2010 8:20:50 AM

ksampanna said:
Well there's no such degree like 'computer engineering'. You mean to say computer science.

You couldnt have been more WRONG, there is a 'computer engineering' degree, it's offered at many universities, for example:
Computer Science on the other-hand, deals with programming, algorithmic and computational theory - on a software level.

CPUs deal with integrated circuits, so I recommend either Electric Engineering or Computer Engineering.
a c 152 à CPUs
a b À AMD
May 25, 2010 5:58:51 PM

CPU engineers often come from electrical, mechanical, and computer engineering backgrounds. Another key area would be metalurgical engineering, especially with all of the "exotic" materials being designed and used today. Tailoring your degree, in any of these disciplines, to accomodate the path you seek is supportable at most colleges and universities that offer these degrees. Good luck!