What degree to get

uh_no

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
computer engineering......most of what you'll need to learn will be taught in grad classes...you need to focus on digital systems and computer microarchitecture...

DO you intent on being a chip designer..?? Coz in that case you'll be needing to study at the hardware level and i don't think computer engg. stream deals with that.. You'd need to learn VLSI and embedded electronics in that case..

ksampanna

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2010
Well there's no such degree like 'computer engineering'. You mean to say computer science.
And yes, designing chips means working in hardware @ the nanotech level, so comp science (which is mostly about software programming) won't be of any help here. I have a friend who did his BTech in Electrical engg & then got an Mtect in Solid State Science from MIT. Now he's working in Intel. So I'd say, you'll need degrees of the aforementioned sort to get into CPUs.

arterius2

Distinguished
May 11, 2010

You couldnt have been more WRONG, there is a 'computer engineering' degree, it's offered at many universities, for example: http://ece.uwaterloo.ca/Undergrad/Q/
Computer Science on the other-hand, deals with programming, algorithmic and computational theory - on a software level.

CPUs deal with integrated circuits, so I recommend either Electric Engineering or Computer Engineering.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
CPU engineers often come from electrical, mechanical, and computer engineering backgrounds. Another key area would be metalurgical engineering, especially with all of the "exotic" materials being designed and used today. Tailoring your degree, in any of these disciplines, to accomodate the path you seek is supportable at most colleges and universities that offer these degrees. Good luck!