Why such low framerates?

rliming

Distinguished
May 24, 2010
I have a bundle system that I bought from Tigerdirect about 2 years ago and it has never really got good framerates on any of my games around 30fps mostly. Its a Pentium D 925 3.0ghz cpu and 2 gig corsair ram on a XFX 680i LT SLi Board, I have a XFX 9800 GTX XXX video card and cant figure out if its the cpu or the video card, I also get the same framerates even with a 8500gt. Anyone got any answers would appreciate it.

Solution

Finaly found a support list of cpu's for your MB

http://www.xfxforce.com/en-us/products/motherboards/xseries/~/ecms.ashx/XFXCPUCompatibilityList-Intel.pdf

Although next question will be, Whats you're budget? I could recommend any cpu you see in the chard above, although if you cant afford it, we cant really give good answer.

Now with out a budget, i would recommend the Core 2 duo e7500 @2.9GHz

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115056

If you're wanting better, say a quad core, you need to go to someplace like ebay as core 2 quad q6xxx (only 65nm quad cores work with your MB) are not sold anymore.

Although i would...

Lopok

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2010
cpu is bottlenecking your system, the 9800 gtx is a pretty decent card, but the 8500 gt sucks really bad in gaming and if you swapped and you're still getting the same framerates, then is noticeable your cpu is bottlencking

It would if you could achieve 60+FPS consistently. If you get like 55FPS or something, it would cap it at 30FPS.

We really cannot give you a completely valid answer without knowing what games and what settings. If you are complaining about Crysis for example, well, that's the limit of all your hardware. If you are complaining about COD2, then we have an unusual problem.

As Lopok said, in most games today, your CPU will be the main bottleneck. And I am one to not really use the word bottleneck. It's a dual core based on the older netburst architecture. As such, it would be outperformed by a less than 2GHz Phenom II or core 2 duo. By quite a bit.

Now this is also dependent on which games and at what resolution. So we really need additional information on software.

rliming

Distinguished
May 24, 2010
I play nearly all games, WoW, CounterStrike Source, Team Fortress 2, Age of Conan, all of these games and any others I throw at it are capping out at around 30 fps. I have turned all V-Sync off, I mean I have been building machines for awhile and built my nephews box but this is just wierd?

popatim

Titan
that processor is more than enough for Wow, i play Wow on a PD805 just fine and 60fps (most areas) even on my old ati 3870, so if you're only seeing 30fps then you would have to be v-synched limited or the refresh rate on your monitor is set ungodly low at 30hz.

rliming

Distinguished
May 24, 2010
Well if anyone could look at the XFX website and they have a CPU list of what can be used for that board but I dont know what is best to get for what I do. I just want the games to run smooth with what I have until this xmas.

amnotanoobie

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2006

Reading up on the net....

If your screen could do 60Hz, but your system could only produce 31-59fps (and never 60fps) it would chop it down to 30fps. If your system could do 60fps minimum then it would chop down the fps to 60fps.

V-Sync seems to chop down to either 30fps, 60fps, 120fps, etc.

Finaly found a support list of cpu's for your MB

http://www.xfxforce.com/en-us/products/motherboards/xseries/~/ecms.ashx/XFXCPUCompatibilityList-Intel.pdf

Although next question will be, Whats you're budget? I could recommend any cpu you see in the chard above, although if you cant afford it, we cant really give good answer.

Now with out a budget, i would recommend the Core 2 duo e7500 @2.9GHz

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115056

If you're wanting better, say a quad core, you need to go to someplace like ebay as core 2 quad q6xxx (only 65nm quad cores work with your MB) are not sold anymore.

Although i would think the Core 2 duo will be enough for your need until you upgrade again.

Just make sure your bios is up to date.

Solution

LunarG

Distinguished
May 21, 2010

V-Sync normally caps your FPS to the same frequency as your refresh is currently set to in the monitor setting in Windows. With most LCD monitors, that is 60Hz.
This means, that if you cannot achieve 60 fps, you won't notice any difference with it turned on or off. If you can get above 60 fps, you'll be capped, never seeing the game go beyond 60 fps. Full name of "V-Sync" is "Synchronice to vertical refresh rate". If your screen is running at 60Hz, it means that it cannot physically display more than 60 pictures per second. Hence the 60fps cap. V-sync will not cap a game above (or below for that matter) 60Hz unless: 1. You screen is running a higher (or lower) vertical refresh rate or 2. You're using some forced settings/hacks.

rliming

Distinguished
May 24, 2010
Thanks Warmon, I dont really have a budget but am giving this machine to someone when I build the new one so I want them to be able to play a few games. If the e7500 is the best i can get I will go with that. Thx again.

amnotanoobie

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2006

If your system couldn't produce the consistent minimum 60fps on a 60Hz screen (which is the default and what I have), it would lock to 30fps. You should try it with some games and see for yourself (try it with fraps). Find some high settings on the games you have, wherein your PC couldn't produce 60fps, but never dip below 30fps.

With V-Sync on, you either get 30fps (unless you system just really couldn't draw up the game) or 60fps for 60Hz.

No problem.

There are better cpus for it (faster dual cores and some quads that are decent speed), but the price is starts to jump drastically from there.

LunarG

Distinguished
May 21, 2010

I have tried it for myself. I have tried many games where FPS is very variable, depending on what's going on on-screen. In many cases, minimum FPS drops below 60 fps, in some cases, even below 30 fps. V-sync is still set to 60. Perhaps they've changed this in some more modern First Person Shooters, which is a genre I have little to no interest in, and thus haven't played much for a number of years, but in the ones I've tried with, V-Sync is a constant 60Hz. The problem with disabling V-Synch is when your computer is capable of rendering more than the 60fps, due to the possibility of graphical artifacts, such as tearing.