Tags:
  • Power Supplies
  • Evo
  • Components
  • Product
Last response: in Components
May 25, 2010 3:32:16 AM

Hey guys,

I'm getting a new NZXT Tempest Evo tower. The interior should be nice and it has a viewing window so I'm thinking about placing the tower on my desk rather than my floor. However, I'm afraid an earthquake could easily top it over (I live in Southern California).

Are there quality "legs" I could attach to my tower or some kind of casing/stand that would widen the towers base and protect against it tipping over?

Thank you,
Daniel

More about : mid sized tower stand legs

a b ) Power supply
May 25, 2010 8:23:30 AM

Unless the earthquake registers 7.5 + on the Richter's scale, I assure you the case won't topple over. Even if it does, you can still try & hold it steady while the building shakes around you. Now you might be killed this way by falling debris. But look on the bright side - assuming you maintain a tight hold on the case even after you're dead, it might not topple at all!

:D  Seriously, though, there's no real danger; you're just being paranoid.
m
l
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
May 25, 2010 11:28:26 AM

+1 Ksampanna

Don't waste your money.
m
l
May 25, 2010 5:22:30 PM

ksampanna said:
Unless the earthquake registers 7.5 + on the Richter's scale, I assure you the case won't topple over. Even if it does, you can still try & hold it steady while the building shakes around you. Now you might be killed this way by falling debris. But look on the bright side - assuming you maintain a tight hold on the case even after you're dead, it might not topple at all!

A $1,600 rig may be just cause for such paranoia :-)

Seriously though, I'm sure a lot of people on this forum can sympathize with me: we build super specced rigs, drop a ton of cash into them, and simply want to keep it safe just like any other investment right?

That said, any recommendations (other than holding onto the case during earthquakes) would be much appreciated :) 
m
l
May 25, 2010 7:07:04 PM

ksampanna said:

PS - the last one was 7.0 on the Richter scale. So not so far off :sweat: 
m
l
May 25, 2010 7:10:56 PM

Collie147 said:
This is what you're looking for
http://cgi.ebay.com/Pedestal-Stabilizer-Base-Your-Tower...

They're called stabilizers, and they normally come with server racks, but you can get some for normal towers too.

This is a start. Thanks for posting - I wish there was a website with a number of these. Shockingly, Newegg is virtually devoid.
m
l
May 25, 2010 7:45:38 PM

You can easily make a bracket that connects to
one of the screw holes that attach the side panels.

Here's what came to mind immediately for me:

http://www.thehardwarehut.com/shelfbrackets.php

-or- this one:

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Prod...

The other end of the bracket can attached via lag screws
to a stud inside the wall, assuming there is a wall
behind your desk.

Or, if there is no wall behind your desk, then
connect this bracket to the desk e.g. down the
back side of the desk.

MRFS
m
l
May 25, 2010 8:06:39 PM

And you realize, of course, that as soon as you open the box your new part comes in it starts to depreciate. In fact when they take the part off the shelf to put in the box that is shipped to you it will be replaced with something that is bigger, better and faster. It would seem that you would want to be able to claim the loss on your insurance if even as short a time as 3 months has gone by since the time the machine was built. But hey, if you want to cling to your old technology through, literally, an act of God, you go boy.
m
l
Related resources
!