Can i run a ati radeon 5770 and phenom quad core 3.2ghz on a 500w

G

can i run a ati radeon 5770 and quad core phenom 3.2ghz on a 500w peak psu atx, or will it over heat and burn out i am planning on getting this case for the computer - http://www.pbtech.co.nz/index.php?page=41&s=CoolerMaster
if i need to get a better case please tell me , i would like to get a case with a psu for a price cut seince i have a $1,000 budget and i still need to find other parts. Or would getting a psu without the case and buying a 750w which would cost me a fair bit more and could make my other computer parts downgraded im not sure what to do. this is the one im thinking of getting Corsair 550W VX Series PSU Ultra-quiet 120mm double ball-bearing fan
thanks

ksampanna

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2010
can i run a ati radeon 5770 and quad core phenom 3.2ghz on a 500w peak psu atx, or will it over heat and burn out i am planning on getting this case for the computer - http://www.pbtech.co.nz/index.php?page=41&s=CoolerMaster
if i need to get a better case please tell me , i would like to get a case with a psu for a price cut seince i have a $1,000 budget and i still need to find other parts. Or would getting a psu without the case and buying a 750w which would cost me a fair bit more and could make my other computer parts downgraded im not sure what to do.
thanks

Well do get a decent 500W psu. After that, you just need a compatible case to fit it in, with all the other components.
In the specifications of the PSU, it should be mentioned "80+ certified", the current values on the +12 V rails should approximately add upto 40-45 A. This is for a 500W unit. If it satisfies all of this, it is decent enough.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
A brand name 500W would suffice, but I would suggest getting something like the corsair 550W (or 520w modular) - they're reasonably priced, and quite reliable. 650W is overkill unless you plan on cf, and even then I would expect 5770 cards not to stress the 550w psu excessively.

G

okay i didnt fully understand what you said due to me not studying much about psu but i will probs have to get a 520w+ and buy a seperate case thanks

It depends on the brand, the wattage on a PSU is not relevant as it varies a lot between manufacturers. What you want to do is, on sites like newegg, there is generally a picture of the sticker on the side of the PSU, if there isnt a picture of that sticker skip it and move on. You also want to make sure it doesnt have a little red voltage switch on the back(that indicates passive PFC) as that is an old design. You also want atleast a 5 year warranty on your PSU as it doesnt get outdated and a crappy PSU can potentially kill you whole system.

On that sticker you specifically want to look at the 12V rail, for a 500W PSU it should have ~40A on that rail. A nice 520W PSU is the new Seasonic S12II
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151094

G

thanks for the help man ill have to do some research about psu's because newegg is a U.S website and im from new zealand so yea shiping will cost me an arm and a leg but ill try get that psu in nz :) thanks