Sign in with
Your question

Time for a new computer, or clever to wait?

Last response: in Systems
March 16, 2010 8:32:01 AM

Hello,
Two years ago I sold my computer, and got rid of my big passion - did this to get a life, and forget about WoW :-) ...
Now i'm matured and want to buy a new computer.
The question is: Is it the time now, or is it clever to wait a little? I see loads of news, and loads of new technologies, like SSD getting more and more profitable, and new AMD cpu's incomming..
What are peoples thoughts: Will there soon be a breakthrough here? :) 
March 16, 2010 8:50:08 AM

There will always be something bigger and better just off in the horizon. Deciding to buy/build now comes down to what you want. If you're worried about SSD prices, wait to buy the SSD, and build with just a regular HDD. As far as CPUs go, the intel socket 1366 is the future, right now, so I'd take that route.
March 16, 2010 10:15:36 AM

i feel it will be good if wait for the AMD bulldozer for the next year.
i feel it will make a huge leap.
the RAM prices are high for both DDR2 and DDR3.
for the SSD they should become more affordable .
for me i will wait.
dont forget GPU price war will come soon
fermi and ATI will have a new stuff too
Related resources
March 16, 2010 11:29:43 AM

If you want to buy in the next few months I think you'll be safe, I'm looking to buy a new PC in April and so far I don't think there's anything big out there coming so fast that would cut costs big time. The only component I have no clue about is the GFX card - any idea when the next gen cards will be out?
March 16, 2010 12:20:36 PM

Fermi will be announce in 26th
but you may need a couple of month to buy one
in that time Ati will be close to announce its next hd 6xxx series
a b B Homebuilt system
a b Ý World of Warcraft
March 16, 2010 12:37:16 PM

If you the type eyeing the bleeding edge of technology it seems now is always a bad time to rig up but if u just buy as per your needs it's really down to working out a budget that works for you really
March 16, 2010 12:54:44 PM

Usually I have the same opinion as you guys: That it's stupid to wait, since there always will be better, faster and stronger tomorrow!

But in this case I just got this feeling - you almost see new SSD's on a daily basic, and so on. So I just wanted you guys honest opinion: Are there something big comming?
Thanks for the replies so far! Guess i'll wait, since new CPU's and GPU's are comming in a near future - and as chechnyan says, there will probably be a price war :-)
!