Replaced motherboard can i reinstall hard drives without loosing data

purdy64

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2010
Hello,
I have a HP m9500t that the motherboard died on. The one used was a Asus IPIBL-LB. Same as Benicia-GL8E. I removed the two harddrives and installed a blank HD. Shipped to HP for the repair - out of warranty of course. What I am hopeing to do is when I get it back to remove new HD and reinstall old HD's without loosing anything. Will this be possible? The OS is Vista Ultimate 64 Bit

purdy64

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2010
Iff there are issues with the bios and drivers. Could I reload drivers from some utility program for the correct one(s). What HP wanted was to install new MB and reformat HD's. It was agreed upon that I remove HD's and install a blank HD. Thus keeping all files,programs etc...

tecmo34

Administrator
Your best bet would be go into Safe Mode and use a program like DriveSweeper. You would want to remove all previous motherboard drivers and re-install the new drivers upon re-boot.

If issues still there, I would boot into the Windows Disk and do a repair, which should fix any "master boot" issues.

I would suggest having ALL the drivers for the 'new' MOBO ready and install them when you first boot; place them on a CD/DVD. I assume you don't have the complexity of a RAID, and you'll probably boot fine with your Device Manager full of {!} and/or {?} which you'll need to update. Insert the CD/DVD and update.

The process should be straight forward; putting Good vibes out there for you!