Dirt 2 Benchmark pauses constantly

isamuelson

Distinguished
I downloaded the Dirt 2 Demo to run the benchmark. However, during the benchmarking, I notice that it constantly pauses, the screen goes black and then it comes back and then continues. It keeps doing this throughout the demo.

Is this normal? My system I'm testing has my GPU overclocked and the 4th core of my CPU is unlocked. I've ran numerous other benchmarks and stress tests (such as Prime95, 3dMark06 and Vantage, GTA IV Benchmark, RE5 benchmark) and they've all ran without failure. I wasn't sure if this could be a symptom of overclocking my GPU or unlocking the 4th core? Temperatures are normal for the GPU and CPU.

Thanks!

Solution
Dirt 2 is a pretty demanding game... not like Crysis demanding... but still demanding all the same. Are you sure your 3870 is up for it? I'm having a hard time finding any benchmarks on that game with your card.

rodney_ws

Splendid
Dec 29, 2005
Dirt 2 is a pretty demanding game... not like Crysis demanding... but still demanding all the same. Are you sure your 3870 is up for it? I'm having a hard time finding any benchmarks on that game with your card.

Solution

isamuelson

Distinguished

Maybe that's the issue. When it does go, it runs pretty smooth. It just hangs after going about 10-15 seconds, then the screen goes blank and then it comes back and it starts up again. Then, 10-15 seconds later, it hangs again, screen goes blank and then comes back. Repeat and rinse. :pt1cable:

However, the 3870 does pretty well with games like Fallout 3 on Hyper settings, GTA IV on just about everything (view distance is set to about 33 because after that, performance will take a hit), Dragon Age: Origin on full, Batman Arkham Asylum on full, etc. All these games are played at 1280x1024 because that's all my monitor allows.

From what I saw on Dirt 2, it looked great and when it does run without pausing, it is VERY smooth. So, I think my card can handle it, but maybe it can't, and that's why it's pausing. I had it set to high on everything at 1280x1024 (actually, it was already set that way when I went to the options).

I just wanted to run this benchmark/test to see how my new CPU was working out.

Not sure what drivers you have but there are some hotfix for dirt2 also