Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Does the phenom 965 be have any locked cores??

Last response: in CPUs
Share
a b à CPUs
May 25, 2010 11:02:27 AM

Hi i was just curious if anyone knew if the Phenom 2 x4 965 be had any locked cores on the die? I was just curious because I know there are other['s that can be unlocked from dual to quad so maybe you can unlock from quad to hexa-core. i think it is only with the new Thuban build from AMD you can go from x4 to x6 but what about the good old powerhouse 965?
a b à CPUs
May 25, 2010 11:07:39 AM

The Phenom II x4 965BE has only four cores at most. Thuban four cores, a product not yet on the market, will have two cores disabled and could potentially be unlocked, given the right mainboard and firmware.
a b à CPUs
May 25, 2010 11:09:52 AM

Sweet thanks man I wasnt expecting A reply so fast my question has been answered. Cool i am just gonna wait then until they come with the 4 core Thuban and unlock those bad boys.
Related resources
a b à CPUs
May 25, 2010 3:41:04 PM

bigj1985 said:
Sweet thanks man I wasnt expecting A reply so fast my question has been answered. Cool i am just gonna wait then until they come with the 4 core Thuban and unlock those bad boys.

We are out of luck on that department... The Thuban X4 960T will not be released as linked by Herr_Koos. If you already got an AMD motherboard, chances are it will support the X6 so just get a true X6. 1055T if you are on budget or 1090T if you can afford it. But check your mobo CPU support list first.
a c 83 à CPUs
May 25, 2010 6:33:52 PM

bigj1985 said:
Sweet thanks man I wasnt expecting A reply so fast my question has been answered. Cool i am just gonna wait then until they come with the 4 core Thuban and unlock those bad boys.



AMD has already confirmed there is no plan to release the 4 core Thuban to retail at this time because they need to make profit on their 6 core processors. Tomshardware also did a review of this 4 core Thuban called the X4 960T, they could only achieve a 3.6Ghz overclock when the extra cores were enabled, and also confirmed that ASrock is only seeing a 37% unlock rate. Even if this part hit retail, I would not waste my money on it, you'll only be saving about $25 at most from an actual 6 core once AMD launches their sub $200 6 core at 2.6Ghz.
a b à CPUs
May 26, 2010 4:40:33 PM

Ok well thank you guys makes me a little sad but no big deal. I guess I would rather have a true 6 core neways when the time is right. they are so affordable for the price vs performance ratio neways it's no big deal. I know I will just be sticking with the 965 for awhile cause the thing is a beast already I cannot see a reason to have a 6 core now as I rarely use 4 cores to begin with. I just though it would be really kool to buy a 4 core cpu and make a little bios change and be runnin 6.
a b à CPUs
May 26, 2010 11:35:57 PM

bigj1985 said:
Ok well thank you guys makes me a little sad but no big deal. I guess I would rather have a true 6 core neways when the time is right. they are so affordable for the price vs performance ratio neways it's no big deal. I know I will just be sticking with the 965 for awhile cause the thing is a beast already I cannot see a reason to have a 6 core now as I rarely use 4 cores to begin with. I just though it would be really kool to buy a 4 core cpu and make a little bios change and be runnin 6.

I know the how the itch feels to see 6 cores running in Windows Task Manager. I myself have the unlocked X3 720 OC's at 3.6GHz and I don't there there will be performance gained from an X6 worth $200-$300. So sticking with it too while I can scratch the itch otherways.
a b à CPUs
June 13, 2010 11:56:14 AM

:pt1cable:  Ya for sure I am just going to wait for Bull dozer because when I see that the thuban really does not have much use at all for me. Sure it has 6 cores but it has the same amount of cache and no real performance increase over the Phenom 965 at all except when the 6 cores are actually used which is rarely so ii to to my 4ghz quad for now which is more than enough performance for me.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
November 26, 2010 6:44:35 AM

AH sorry i didnt get Something , you Guys say that Phenom 965 BE will have 2 Cores locked from begining ( in box ) ?? it means that we cant get PhenomII 4X 965 BE that be Fully Unlocked from first & we are in the Trouble of Unlocking it ?

What if we get right Mobo for it , can we see it Fully Unlocked ?
a b à CPUs
November 26, 2010 10:42:29 AM

Quote:
AH sorry i didnt get Something , you Guys say that Phenom 965 BE will have 2 Cores locked from begining ( in box ) ?? it means that we cant get PhenomII 4X 965 BE that be Fully Unlocked from first & we are in the Trouble of Unlocking it ?

What if we get right Mobo for it , can we see it Fully Unlocked ?


You misunderstood the original post. The question was whether the 965 has two additional locked cores that can change it from a 4 core to a 6 core. The answer is no. It always has 4 and only 4. Make sense?
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
November 26, 2010 11:06:19 AM

Yes yes , i am not Blind i can see X4 . but when i see that others have an Issues with theire Phenom 965 BE on Cores ! then Doubt coming again !

If every one just be fine with Phenom 965 Be & report it as a Pure Quad core that never make Any problem or Core Locking , then why i should ask this lot !
a c 158 à CPUs
November 26, 2010 11:10:00 AM

The 965 is pure quad. Build with 4 cores and 6MB L3 Cache. What specific issues do you see?, because that CPU even can hit the 4GHz or more.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
November 26, 2010 12:41:40 PM

Ok ok ,thanks a lot , i got enough about Phenom 965BE , Thanks for ALL ANSWERS !
dipankar2007 , dont laugh that lot !


Saint 19 , your answer was Simple & great ( just what i needed ! ) thanks a lot !
a c 158 à CPUs
November 26, 2010 1:51:38 PM

Your welcome. Have fun ;) 
!