Does the phenom 965 be have any locked cores??

bigj1985

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2010
Hi i was just curious if anyone knew if the Phenom 2 x4 965 be had any locked cores on the die? I was just curious because I know there are other['s that can be unlocked from dual to quad so maybe you can unlock from quad to hexa-core. i think it is only with the new Thuban build from AMD you can go from x4 to x6 but what about the good old powerhouse 965?

randomkid

Distinguished

We are out of luck on that department... The Thuban X4 960T will not be released as linked by Herr_Koos. If you already got an AMD motherboard, chances are it will support the X6 so just get a true X6. 1055T if you are on budget or 1090T if you can afford it. But check your mobo CPU support list first.

loneninja

Distinguished

AMD has already confirmed there is no plan to release the 4 core Thuban to retail at this time because they need to make profit on their 6 core processors. Tomshardware also did a review of this 4 core Thuban called the X4 960T, they could only achieve a 3.6Ghz overclock when the extra cores were enabled, and also confirmed that ASrock is only seeing a 37% unlock rate. Even if this part hit retail, I would not waste my money on it, you'll only be saving about $25 at most from an actual 6 core once AMD launches their sub $200 6 core at 2.6Ghz.

bigj1985

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2010
Ok well thank you guys makes me a little sad but no big deal. I guess I would rather have a true 6 core neways when the time is right. they are so affordable for the price vs performance ratio neways it's no big deal. I know I will just be sticking with the 965 for awhile cause the thing is a beast already I cannot see a reason to have a 6 core now as I rarely use 4 cores to begin with. I just though it would be really kool to buy a 4 core cpu and make a little bios change and be runnin 6.

randomkid

Distinguished

I know the how the itch feels to see 6 cores running in Windows Task Manager. I myself have the unlocked X3 720 OC's at 3.6GHz and I don't there there will be performance gained from an X6 worth $200-$300. So sticking with it too while I can scratch the itch otherways.

bigj1985

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2010
:pt1cable: Ya for sure I am just going to wait for Bull dozer because when I see that the thuban really does not have much use at all for me. Sure it has 6 cores but it has the same amount of cache and no real performance increase over the Phenom 965 at all except when the 6 cores are actually used which is rarely so ii to to my 4ghz quad for now which is more than enough performance for me.

G

AH sorry i didnt get Something , you Guys say that Phenom 965 BE will have 2 Cores locked from begining ( in box ) ?? it means that we cant get PhenomII 4X 965 BE that be Fully Unlocked from first & we are in the Trouble of Unlocking it ?

What if we get right Mobo for it , can we see it Fully Unlocked ?

AH sorry i didnt get Something , you Guys say that Phenom 965 BE will have 2 Cores locked from begining ( in box ) ?? it means that we cant get PhenomII 4X 965 BE that be Fully Unlocked from first & we are in the Trouble of Unlocking it ?

What if we get right Mobo for it , can we see it Fully Unlocked ?

You misunderstood the original post. The question was whether the 965 has two additional locked cores that can change it from a 4 core to a 6 core. The answer is no. It always has 4 and only 4. Make sense?

G

Yes yes , i am not Blind i can see X4 . but when i see that others have an Issues with theire Phenom 965 BE on Cores ! then Doubt coming again !

If every one just be fine with Phenom 965 Be & report it as a Pure Quad core that never make Any problem or Core Locking , then why i should ask this lot !

G

Ok ok ,thanks a lot , i got enough about Phenom 965BE , Thanks for ALL ANSWERS !
dipankar2007 , dont laugh that lot !

Saint 19 , your answer was Simple & great ( just what i needed ! ) thanks a lot !