Sign in with
Your question

Need advice for first solo build, Installing Win7 Pro 64bit on SSD

Last response: in Systems
March 16, 2010 12:07:55 PM

Hello, I'm about to install Win7 Pro 64bit on my 30GB OCZ Vertex SSD. My build consists of an EVGA 113-M2-E113 AM2+/AM2 NVIDIA nForce 730a Chipset AMD Motherboard with a AMD Athlon X2 BE-2400 Brisbane 2.3GHz CPU. I've got a WD 640GB HDD that will hold my data and apps while I've also got a 1TB WD black HDD to hold media. I'm wondering what all 'tweaks' I can do with windows to avoid unnecessary read/writes to ensure good performance and a long life out of the SSD. One link I found here mentions moving the User Profile on to a traditional HDD and then I've heard things mentioned about moving page files or swap files(?) off the SSD as well. Anyways, if anyone can recommend any suggestions that they may have done to their own setups that have yielded positive results, I'd appreciate it. Keep in mind, this is my first solo build so I'm a bit of a 'noob' when it comes to tweaking or modding. This isn't a gaming machine. The most work that will be done on this machine is photo editing/managing and viewing HD media. Thanks again.
!