Solved

PSU 36A – Is it enough for a GTX 260 maxcore 55

I have some concerns before attempting to install my new BFG GTX 260 OC maxcore 55. I kind of bought the card in a haste because there was a amazing deal i just could not afford to let go “out of stock”.

I just noticed in the system requirement that this card requires 38A on the +12V and a 525W PSU. I have a Enermax Liberty 620W PSU that has a combined output of 36A. The rest of my system is pretty standard: 3x72000 rpm HDD, 2xDVD-ROM, 4x120mm fans at 12000 rpm. Here are my concerns:

Does the missing 2 amps could cause problems. It is also written on the PSU spec. that it has a “Peak Power” of 680W. On the video card's box it says that the 38A recommendations are based on a Intel Core 2 Extreme QX9650 system; my processor is a quad core AMD Phenom 9950 BE 125W @ 3GHz (2.6GHz stock). I am not planing to OC my GTX 260 but if so not more than 10%.

The PSU have two dedicated PCI-E cable; one is 2+6 pines (PCI-E 2.0 i believe?) and the other is a 6 pines PCI-E. I suppose it is ok to use that 2+6 pines cable without the 2 additional detachable pines? (the card has two 6 pines connection).

Thanks a bunch for any help!

P.S: Sorry for my spelling
3 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about maxcore
  1. Best answer
    Im thinking you will be able to squeeze by here. The manufacturers recomondations are over estimated so you should be ok.

As for the 6 and 6+2 PCIE pins they are just PCIE pins, (no 2.0) the 2.0 refers to the PCIE slot that the card connects to the motherboard. Also the 6+2 PCIE pin is just an 8 pin but with added flexibility to be able to be used as a 6 pin.
  2. Thanks for the info paperfox!

Looks like things will not blow up after i put the new video card in!

Knock wood!
  3. Best answer selected by Rachpoil.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Gtx Graphics