Sign in with
Your question

Powerful enough?

Last response: in Systems
March 16, 2010 3:35:52 PM

Hi,

I've just ordered a cheap system for my brother and I'm wondering about how I'm planning to power it.

Here are the details:

Ultra cheap WinPower 450 Watt 20A
ASRock G31M-GS
E7400@2.8Ghz
4Gb DDR2 800Mhz
500Gb 7200rpm

+

Palit GTS 250 512mb Green Edition

So I bought the no discrete GPU version as I didn't like the other options and thought I would get it separately myself. Stupidly only afterwards did I consider power issues. The 250 has two 6 pin inputs. The very basic PSU has a 24 pin a sata pin and 4 molexes. The card comes with a 2 molex to a 6 pin lead and I ordered another one, forgetting this leaves me with nothing for the optical drive. I do have a molex splitter.

What is the best way to make this work? Please don't say get a new PSU unless absolutely necessary as I have just spent up on this. :)  Info on consumption and lead configs etc is most welcome.

Thanks

More about : powerful

March 16, 2010 3:40:46 PM

I've never even heard of a winpower power supply.

*Cough* get a new psu *cough*

It's only a matter of time untill that ticking time bomb explodes.

*EDIT* Oh good lord is it made by HEC? Run awayyy
March 16, 2010 3:41:08 PM

Get a new PSU.

A quality 450W unit is not powerful enough for that card. And you didn't buy a quality unit, you bought a POS. You absolutely do not want to skimp on the PSU. You should feel lucky that you haven't had it explode and take everything with it.

Here's a high quality unit that's not too expensive: Antec Earthwatts 650W $75.
Related resources
March 16, 2010 3:52:28 PM

But even if it only outputs say 300 watts in reality then it should be more than enough I would think?

My main problem is how to link things up, like will a one molex plus one split molex be enough for one of two of the pci express 6 pin inputs?
March 16, 2010 3:54:38 PM

No your main problem is to hope that it doesn't explode when you press the power button.
March 16, 2010 3:59:05 PM

I didn't choose this PSU, it was part of a unit I had a very tight budget for.

I understand the benefits of a decent one as I have on my own rig, but aren't you exaggerating with a bit of tech snobbery here?
March 16, 2010 4:02:20 PM

Let me put it this way. That PSU will not provide enough power at a reliable rate for you to use that GPU. You'll also be lucky to not lose everything when it fails miserably.

Save yourself the hassle of having to replace everything and get a new PSU. Consider it a lesson learned at a cheap price. You could easily be looking at a $600-800 price tag for replacing everything. Instead, you're only looking at $75 for a quality unit that will be good for many years.

And no, whitefang is exaggerating. The PSU is the number one spot where people skimp, and it will always hurt you in the end. There is no such thing as a good build w/o a good PSU.
March 16, 2010 4:03:24 PM

If you some how manage to get the power supply unit hooked up to the system it wouldn't be worth it because it WILL end up dieing and could take some parts with it.

Save up $50-80 and buy a quality psu.
March 16, 2010 4:12:25 PM

Well I will do next month when I can afford it. For now I'm going to try it, as even on these forums I've read that with a reduced continuous rate for the PSU it should be able to handle it.

It's not a huge power draw, but I'd be interested in what that PSU is really capable of. It was sold with systems with 9800GTs and 4770s from where I purchased.

I was looking for advice with the leads, importantly with that split I mentioned.

Thanks
March 16, 2010 4:27:37 PM

Nice ad. I have a corsair myself.

But it is an ad. I won't be drawing that much power from it either.
March 16, 2010 4:34:58 PM

where is the 4770 power wise and the 9800 gt and look where is the gts 250
March 16, 2010 4:49:43 PM

the gts 250 is an older design then a gtx 260 thats why the gtx260 uses less power

and besides the gts 250 is just a 9800gtx with a slight overclock and a new sticker

just as the new ati 5 series are using much less power then the 4 series
March 16, 2010 4:50:48 PM

EDIT for above. That was for the whole system supposedly.
March 16, 2010 4:53:35 PM

Some were rebrands, some not with slight changes, but yeah.

Anyway, I don't think it will be a problem drawing 250 watts from even from that cheap excuse for a PSU.

I know it won't last, I know it's not ideal. But I think you guys are missing the points of my request, as I did say in the OP to please not say new PSU unless absolutely necessary.

Thanks
March 16, 2010 4:55:53 PM

Thanks for the link Delluser1.

Why wouldn't a continuous 300 watt with 20A not do it for you?
March 16, 2010 5:18:11 PM

Obs I just said I know it won't last, that isn't the issue. I can replace it very soon, but I spent what I had on this and want to get it working. It all arrives tomorrow.

What might the continuous supply of be? 250 watts seems to be ok?

Why does the card have 2 6 pins unlike other gts 250s even though it's a green edition?

Can I convert 2 molexes to a 6 pin and another the same but with a split to an optical that almost certainly will never be in use when the card is under load anyway?
March 16, 2010 8:20:25 PM

Suggesting new PSU: Absolutely necessary.

However, you could probably get 2 splitters, one combining 2 molex to 1 6 pin. And one splitting one molex into two molex. However, the power supply is obviously not made for this, so it will probably explode and the whole earth as we know it will be gone.
March 16, 2010 8:37:40 PM

whitefang said:
Suggesting new PSU: Absolutely necessary.

However, you could probably get 2 splitters, one combining 2 molex to 1 6 pin. And one splitting one molex into two molex. However, the power supply is obviously not made for this, so it will probably explode and the whole earth as we know it will be gone.

I'll let you know. :) 

What the hell, I'll try it and if it blows I'll replace the lot, and if not I'll just change the PSU next month.
March 16, 2010 8:59:07 PM

Ok let us know how it goes.
March 17, 2010 1:25:04 PM

I chickened out a bit and accepted a generic 650w PSU from a friend who had removed it from a case he'd bought. It's also a Win Power one.

The graphics card I've been sent is actually an "E-Green" which is factory downclocked a bit and only has one 6 pin input. I'd complain but it probably serves me better.

So I've been stress testing for a couple of hours now and all seems well initially.

I'm prepared to just laugh if it does blow. :) 
!