Katarina

Honorable
Jan 9, 2013
Hello, I have a Z77A-G45 mobo. When I got it, the mobo was on bios version 2.4, I have tried OC Genie with it and everything ran fine, the cpu clock speeds increased. Just yesterday I updated to 2.8 by loading the 2.8 off of MSI's website onto a flash drive and using m-flash to flash it. Everything seemed to go fine until today. I tried to change the settings back to OC genie but when I click the OC Genie botton inside the BIOS, nothing happens. Same with the eco button. For some reason, it doesn't let me change the mode out of standard mode. I have also noticed that on the Overclock panel in the BIOS, the mouse seems to flicker and lag a bit. I am not sure if this is a bug or because it has a bunch of info it is trying to update. Anyways, does anyone have any idea what would cause this? It is worrying me :(

Katarina

Honorable
Jan 9, 2013

Thanks for the info. I am going to have to conclude that it is probably just a bios issue and I think I can live without OC Genie. Okay so I started looking into overclocking my 3570k. I am using a Hyper 212+ cooler. I managed to get to 4.3 Ghz on stock voltage (1.128V) and it seems to be stable. After running prime 95 for a bit, I am getting to about ~60 C with a max of 63 C. (As reported by Hardware Monitor). I was wondering, should I try to up the voltage and go a bit farther? What are the benefits and dangers of modifying the voltage? For example, at stock voltage and 4.3Ghz, would my card last longer and/or perform worse then running at 4.3 with voltage upped to 1.2 or something. Also, should I leave intel's boost thing on or off? I tend to leave my computer on 24/7. Thanks

mlcaouette

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2011
Only raise voltage when you need to, if you're stable without a voltage bump that's excellent. To find out if going farther is worth it you need to run benches before OC and after to see what kind of increase you are getting. Keep in mind that raising voltages which raises the thermal output with it could decrease the lifespan of your chip, by how much I don't know.

Overclocking is typically only recommended when you need to or if you like it as a hobby.