Sign in with
Your question

Wdc wd20ears help

Last response: in Storage
April 11, 2012 3:11:08 PM

External drive dropped off desk. drive is visible in device manager but not under my computer. Drive is found in disk management, but shows 0 bytes. I opened and removed drive and used usb hook up to see if it could be read, results same as above. any ideas how to get info off of drive?

More about : wdc wd20ears

a c 324 G Storage
April 11, 2012 4:13:54 PM

You can try a file recovery program like Recuva (it's free), but there is a chance that drive components were damaged by the fall, particularly if it was running at the time.
m
l
April 11, 2012 4:15:18 PM

I think the read/write heads are probably out of line. I am thinking you may have to have the harddrive professionaly recovered, but I am not sure. I am almost, but not 100 percent sure, the harddrive is permanently damaged. Maybe one thing you can try is to switch the motherboard from another similar harddrive to this one and maybe you can try to recover the data that way.
m
l
Related resources
April 11, 2012 4:44:21 PM

Did try recuva. It saw drive, but did no recovery.

Interesting thought on switching motherboard, i will have to look into that
m
l
a c 324 G Storage
April 11, 2012 5:44:59 PM

kzimdars said:
Did try recuva. It saw drive, but did no recovery.

Interesting thought on switching motherboard, i will have to look into that

If Recuva only saw the drive but no files, another motherboard will make no difference. I would try another file recovery program next: http://www.easeus.com/datarecoverywizard/ (free to try, gotta pay if it will recover stuff), and if that doesn't work you would need professional recovery in a clean room.
m
l
April 11, 2012 8:10:18 PM

I will try the easeus when I get home from work and post results. thanks
m
l
!