owlsparker

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2010
Hi - I currently have a Foxconn G31MX-K http://www.foxconnchannel.com/product/Motherboards/detail_overview.aspx?ID=en-us0000345 with an E3300 CPU but I am replacing this with an E8400 however I didn't get a replacement heatsink and fan. I would guess (although I haven't looked) that the hs+fan are the ones that came with the E3300.
My question is can I clean and re-use the sink and fan that are currently installed or is this a bad idea?
Many thanks in advance for your advice.

izzycortez

Distinguished
May 25, 2010
Ok Owlsparker its izzy and basically all i can say is looking at the review of the card E8400 and reviews on its heatsink by people i got a mixed result. So what i suggest to you is that you get a heatsink and fan or coolant. Just to specify i suggest you get this http://www.quietpc.com/gb-en-gbp/products/amdcooling/katana3 as i know you like to game and this is actually one of the good cooling systems for your pc. just to be safe id get it :D
___________________________________________________________________________________
You know its right when you read it twice
Dont argue with me or or.... this will happen

thKiluagolpeandoaGon.gif

Arethel

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2009
I'm running an E8400 that I overclocked quite a bit, so it's not exactly the coolest running thing in the world... Now that it's summertime I brought it back down to 3.6 Ghz, but during the winter I take it up to 4.2 Ghz. My chip has a nice copper mirror finish since I lapped it.

The Intel stock coolers aren't bad though, especially if you intend on running your chip stock. After all, it's not like Intel's going to sell a processor retail with an inadequate heatsink fan. It may only perform marginally, but it has to at least get the job done. I've got a whole box full of them. :) Looking at the box of now scrap aluminum sometimes makes me feel bad though.

Check this thread out:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/100258-8-sale-factory-sealed-zalman-cnps-9500a-heatsink
I'll throw in some thermal paste if you don't have any.

hundredislandsboy

Distinguished

I used an e8400 on a G31 mobo and the stock fan was fine since I didn't/couldn't overclock it on that mobo/chipset. Just use new thermal paste (thin layer) and you'll be okay. Monitor the temps, stress test with Prime95, and if it doesn't go past 65, 66-ish (can go higher but just to be safe) then you're okay.

owlsparker

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2010
Thank you all for your reply's and much appreciated advice. I swapped the cpu yesterday using the existing sink and fan and they seem fine temps are stable under full load.

owlsparker

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2010

Hi - I now seem to have another problem and wondered if you could help the bios wont update using the Foxconn bios updater it says there is some sort of windows license issue (I use windows 7 and yes it is genuine) and the cpu is running at 6x multiplier rather than 9x with no settings in the bios to change it. I've also tried to set bios back to defaults with no effect.
Any help greatly appreciated.

Arethel

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2009

That might be because the Foxconn BIOS updater utility is not compatible for use in Windows 7. I'm not familiar with it so I can't say for sure, but this happens quite often.

The CPU is running on a 6x multiplier because of speed step. When you run something that puts a load on the CPU, it'll go back up to 9x again. The setting in the BIOS to disable this feature is EIST. You should probably just leave it on though since you're not going to overclock. It'll keep your computer (and room) cooler.

What are you trying to set the BIOS back to?

If you still want to flash the BIOS and can't get that Foxconn windows based utility to work, try using a dos based utility. You can probably do it on a USB flash drive.

EDIT:

Foxconn's website is horrible. It's always so slow to load anything there. Anyway, read through this, it's from their website:
http://www.foxconnsupport.com/faq.aspx?faqid=F000000065

It has everything you will need there, along with three different methods. This way you won't have to run into any Windows compatibility issues. :)

hundredislandsboy

Distinguished
I doubt your CPU multiplier is stuck on multiplier of 6. Try to disable IEST in the BIOS.

If you can't disable IEST in the BIOS, use CPU-Z, the run Prime95, you'll see the multiplier go to 9. IEST automatically steps down the multiplier to save power when there's no load or only a little load on the CPU.

owlsparker

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2010
As usual guy's you are spot on - it was speed stepping.
Thank you once again and I'll try not to bother you with my noob questions again >.<

Arethel

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2009

I remembered right after posting, that there's a sticky regarding this, lol.

Anyway glad to help. Go have fun!