All done, my final verdict

Last response: in Video Games
Share
August 12, 2004 12:12:18 AM

Just finished T1, so that's all of 'em done (but
not in order (2 (twice!), 3, 1, and some FM's).

Once again I enjoyed it. The larger levels after
playing T:D S were refreshing, although I do think
alot of space was wasted with aimless walking around.
I've been playing my own sort of ghosting rules, only killing
non-humans.

I first discovered Thief about a year ago, and some may remember
I wasn't exactly impressed in the beginning, but have since changed
my mind. It's a fantastic series. I think each one brings something
new, but T2, for me is the best. I'm not exactly crazy on the supernatural
beasties, and thought the robots a touch more believable.
Storywise, I can see why T3 struggled to tie up loose ends, while trying
to still engage older fans, yet still provide a possibility for more games.

My favourite levels were,

T1: Escape
T2: Bank or Party
T3: Overlook
FM: Ominous Bequest or 7th Crystal

All in all, each game has great and not so great stuff. I have never
used scouting orbs, gas mines, sword/dagger or oil flasks, but like the idea
that
some people would, to play in a different style.
As you can see, I enjoy the "thievy" levels most, and I do think T3 suffered
for
not making the most of the climbing gloves and "wall flattening", and having
more
"secrets". I'll balance that by saying if T3 HAD contained an editor, I'd
have made
it the greatest all-time game.

Now, what to do next.......(twiddles thumbs)

More about : final verdict

Anonymous
August 12, 2004 4:11:11 AM

On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 20:12:18 +0000 (UTC), "Gez"
<gez.hartland@btinternet.com> wrote:

>Just finished T1, so that's all of 'em done (but
>not in order (2 (twice!), 3, 1, and some FM's).
>
>Once again I enjoyed it. The larger levels after
>playing T:D S were refreshing, although I do think
>alot of space was wasted with aimless walking around.
>I've been playing my own sort of ghosting rules, only killing
>non-humans.
>
>I first discovered Thief about a year ago, and some may remember
>I wasn't exactly impressed in the beginning, but have since changed
>my mind. It's a fantastic series. I think each one brings something
>new, but T2, for me is the best. I'm not exactly crazy on the supernatural
>beasties, and thought the robots a touch more believable.
>Storywise, I can see why T3 struggled to tie up loose ends, while trying
>to still engage older fans, yet still provide a possibility for more games.
>
>My favourite levels were,
>
>T1: Escape
>T2: Bank or Party
>T3: Overlook
>FM: Ominous Bequest or 7th Crystal
>
>All in all, each game has great and not so great stuff. I have never
>used scouting orbs, gas mines, sword/dagger or oil flasks, but like the idea
>that
>some people would, to play in a different style.
>As you can see, I enjoy the "thievy" levels most, and I do think T3 suffered
>for
>not making the most of the climbing gloves and "wall flattening", and having
>more
>"secrets". I'll balance that by saying if T3 HAD contained an editor, I'd
>have made
>it the greatest all-time game.
>
>Now, what to do next.......(twiddles thumbs)

Ultima! Fallout! Planescape: Torment! Arcanum!

--
Michael Cecil
http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/