Fn key stopped working

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
August 31, 2004 8:35:59 PM

I have a Sony Vaio PCG NV105 and the Fn key has stopped working. The rest of
the computer works fine. Is there a check box somewhere that may have been
activated to stop this key working. Any other suggestions (apart from
re-installing the initial software) welcome.
Thank you,
Bodster

More about : key stopped working

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 31, 2004 9:04:20 PM

The Bodster wrote:

> I have a Sony Vaio PCG NV105 and the Fn key has stopped working. The rest of
> the computer works fine. Is there a check box somewhere that may have been
> activated to stop this key working. Any other suggestions (apart from
> re-installing the initial software) welcome.
> Thank you,
> Bodster

Have you by any chance installed a Windows Update recently? Have you
checked this key in Safe Mode too? If it works in that mode, you will
know a piece of software loaded automatically with Windows is the cause
of conflict. You would then have to eliminate one by one all the
programs in Msconfig to identify the culprit.

Also, in Control panel, check for an unusual setting in Keyboard,
Hardware. Then, have you checked your system for a virus and spyware?

As a last resort, you might have to reinstall a driver from Sony. If it
is not possible to individually reinstall them from you CD, check Sony
support site for them.

Good luck
--
John Doue
Anonymous

"The Bodster" <stefanbodo@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
news:p N1Zc.152$Gj2.62@newsfe2-win.ntli.net...
|I have a Sony Vaio PCG NV105 and the Fn key has stopped working. The rest
of
| the computer works fine. Is there a check box somewhere that may have been
| activated to stop this key working. Any other suggestions (apart from
| re-installing the initial software) welcome.
| Thank you,
| Bodster

Hi Bodster -

Have you, by chance, uninstalled the Hotkey Utility? This is needed for the
Fn + Fx hotkeys proprietary to Sony Laptops to run.

If you've done a clean install of Windows, you will need to link to Sony's
support site and download/install the Sony Shared Library. Then you should
be able to use your Recovery CD set to install the Hotkey Utility. Other
nifty utilities from Sony you may wish to consider are the Sony Notebook
Setup (which is the only place on Vaio's to disable the touchpad... which is
nice to do if you have heavy wrists, like me, and prefer to use an external
mouse) and the PowerPanel Utility.

If you haven't done a clean install and you haven't uninstalled the Hotkey
Utility, check that there's a startup item in your registry (location:
HKLM/Software/Microsoft/Windows/Current Version/Run) for C:\Program
Files\Sony\Hotkey Utility\Hkserv.exe.

Jef
a b D Laptop
September 1, 2004 1:39:18 AM

"The Bodster" <stefanbodo@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
news:p N1Zc.152$Gj2.62@newsfe2-win.ntli.net...
>I have a Sony Vaio PCG NV105 and the Fn key has stopped working. The
>rest of
> the computer works fine. Is there a check box somewhere that may have
> been
> activated to stop this key working. Any other suggestions (apart from
> re-installing the initial software) welcome.
> Thank you,
> Bodster

On some laptops if you tap the function key either three or five times,
a menu will pop up for enabling/disabling the key, AIRC (which sometimes
is not much!).

a b D Laptop
September 3, 2004 12:02:12 AM

Cheers Jef,

I had somehow unchecked the Hotkey and the function key now works well.

Thank you so much, nice one,

Bodster
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
September 3, 2004 6:43:16 AM

| Cheers Jef,
|
| I had somehow unchecked the Hotkey and the function key now works well.
|
| Thank you so much, nice one,
|
| Bodster

Hi Bodster -

Happy to help.