Sign in with
Your question

Is my PSU powerful enough

Last response: in Systems
March 16, 2010 5:50:11 PM

Hi
Every now and then I get a blank screen when I boot up my pc but when i take out my GTX280. I reset the bios so it uses the onboard. Then plug in my GTX280 again it works fine again. Other than that the system runs fine. I download torrents over night. I played games like crysis on it. Not a hick up in sight.

Today it just randomly switched itself off. Also quite frequently when I switch it on it switches itself off then on again. I have phenom triple core M3NHT deluxe motherboard and a GTX280. I also have 2x 1gb ddr2, dvd and dvd writer and two sata hdds. A creative audigy sound card. My psu is rated 850W. Am I just over straining the PSU?

More about : psu powerful

a b B Homebuilt system
March 16, 2010 5:57:02 PM

what brand is that psu?
March 17, 2010 4:05:02 PM

Silver power SP-S850 It's rated at 850watts. But I've heard they can be over rated and you should only assume 70% of the rating.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
March 17, 2010 4:14:55 PM

get a new psu, preferably Corsair.

never even heard of Silver Power (probably because it sucks)

A 650w Corsiar will do. :D 
March 17, 2010 4:43:23 PM

Starges said:
get a new psu, preferably Corsair.

never even heard of Silver Power (probably because it sucks)

A 650w Corsiar will do. :D 

Thats pretty hastey and may not solve the problem at all.

To the OP, have you checked out a calculator for the power usage of your system.

A quick google search for something like PC power usage calculator should come up with something.

And considering that your PC runs ok during load like Crysis, I would be tempted to say it's not the PSU unless its some serious bargain bin stuff. You'll notice it doesn't pay to cut costs on a PSU when it blows up and takes out half your hardware.

Remember when I had a 600W PSU that cost me £25 a few years pack, plugged in my 8800GT and it actually caught fire... I had smoke coming out the back of my PC!

Took it apart later and there was some ash in a pile where a component was surrounded by a scorched circuitboard.
March 17, 2010 4:54:14 PM

Yes I used asus wattage calculator a while back. It's really weird. I see where you comming from.
March 18, 2010 9:39:56 AM

I think I've found the issue, my power supply has 3 12V rails and each of them has 20Amps output rating but my graphics card needs at least 40A at 550W
March 19, 2010 9:42:27 AM

The 40A recommendation is for the entire system. The card itself only uses about half of that. According to this, your PSU has 4 12v rails with up to 20A each and 63A total. That should be plenty for your setup.

There's a remote possibility that you may be running into some aggressive over-current protection. If you haven't already done so, try powering the graphics card using the 8-pin connector from the the first pci-e cable with the 6-pin pci-e connector from the second cable instead of using the 6-pin connector that's paired on the same cable as the 8-pin.

A bit of a longshot maybe, but the only other options are trying a different PSU or a different graphics card.
!