Sign in with
Your question

FINAL thread i5 vs dual core best deal?

Last response: in CPUs
May 25, 2010 6:56:43 PM

$650 with taxes & shipping

Intel Core i5-430M processor
2.26GHz (with Turbo Boost Technology up to 2.53GHz)
4GB DDR3 system memory (8GB max)
250GB 7200rpm SATA hard drive

$520 with taxes & shipping

•Intel® Pentium® Processor T4300 (Dual Core)
(2.10GHz, 1MB L2 cache)
•4GB DDR2 system memory
•320GB 7200rpm SATA hard drive

$130 difference. Is just the cheaper simple one better when I'm not going all hard core on a computer? I don't need it for any type of gaming it is just for school, but I didn't want to buy a "crap" computer. The less expensive one does have 100 more GB and a "slower" processor. that is the only difference I see. So what is really worth the best deal?

I'm being silly and liking the $520 for the 100 point keyboard lol. But which keyboard is easier to type on a 100 point keyboard, or a "regular" laptop keyboard?
May 25, 2010 7:10:34 PM

I think you're better served with the i5 system
m
l
a c 131 à CPUs
May 25, 2010 8:07:14 PM

The T4300 would be enough for you. however, unlike most circumstances with buying notebooks, the performance difference is worth the extra $130.
m
l
Related resources
May 25, 2010 9:07:20 PM

Any more opinions are welcome! Just to add in, first laptop. The case.. now if it is a 15.6, would it be best to get a 16in case, or a 15 in one so its snug?
m
l
a c 146 à CPUs
May 25, 2010 10:31:59 PM

What will you be doing with your laptop at school?
For example people going into programming or graphic arts could use the horsepower of the i5. whereas basketweaving majors just want Facebook and IE will be fine with the T4400.

If you only care about it lasting then I would get the cheaper one and invest in an extended warranty, preferable one that covers drop damage. I'm a firm beleive in the rule that 'anything you carry will get dropped' and you'd be amazed at what they want to charge to replace your screen which is one of the first things to break in a drop.
m
l
May 25, 2010 11:49:02 PM

LOL that is a nice point. Well it will be an on-line program for part of the time. They had some specs which I had posted before, I know both the computers exceed it.

I will be needing it for a long while and typing quite a bit on it. My major involves typing, a lot of typing. Switching from different programs on the screen quite often and using Microsoft word, I already purchased microsoft word 2010. So that is covered.

Thanks you make a good point. Cuz hell I have a SINGLE core processor that is ANCIENTLY old and its fast as hell to me. So I may not need the most expensive top of the line fastest best laptop processor out there.
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 26, 2010 6:10:04 AM

Performance wise,the first one has a noticeably faster CPU and its worth the extra $
m
l
May 26, 2010 6:50:56 AM

It sounds like your needs should be well covered by either CPU to be honest. Word Processors aren't the most demanding applications in the computer world. Swapping between different programs is fast on any reasonably up-to-date dual core CPU, so I doubt there's really any good reason to spend more money on more power. To be quite honest, CPU's have long since reached the level of power, where they don't have to be replaced every year to have a fast system. My 2 1/2 year old Dell XPS laptop, with its C2D T7700, hardly feels any slower in general Windows applications than my i7-920 stationary computer does. In games, music software using large amounts of soft-synths, sound/video encoding, sure there's a difference, but for Word, Excel, Powerpoint or even Photoshop, the difference isn't that noticable. Will a C2D feel as fast in 2 years from now? Who knows, but my bet is that for everyday use, it'll still be good enough.
If the money isn't much of an issue, perhaps get the i5 for a bit more longevity, but if you could really do with saving some cash, go with the T4300
m
l
a c 203 à CPUs
May 26, 2010 1:43:31 PM

To me the keyboard / touchpad and screen are more important than the CPU and amount of RAM, size of hard disk. Having had bad experiences with previous laptops I'll never buy a laptop where I can't do a hands-on test - or at least read a good review that cover the characteristics of the parts that matter the most to me.
You can get a mouse to fix a wonky touchpad issue but if the keyboard drives you crazy or the LCD screen won't work well in your office, home office or class environment (usually due to glare on glossy screens) it won't be a pleasant experience.
One other advantage not mentioned of the i3/i5 models is the better video system. It's not important for productivity (work and classroom stuff) but it could be an issue after school, after work relaxing with HD video. Some of the GMA 4500 video chips struggle with decoding HD output. So the additional cost also included better video options.
m
l
a c 203 à CPUs
May 26, 2010 1:55:54 PM

Is it the HP G60t you're looking at? They have the GMA 4500HD as a $14 option which mostly solves the HD video issue. Recommended. And you'd be totally safe going with 3GB of RAM vs topping up to 4.

And the 'required reading' of a HP G60t review
m
l
!