ASUS P7P55D-E Pro board only recognize 4gb of 8gb installed

Status
Not open for further replies.

bz2h

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2010
Hi I just built a new computer but i'm experiencing a weird phenomenon regarding the RAM available. I have installed 8gb of Kingston HyperX 1600MHz dual channel ram, but the bios says 4096Mb usable, and windows says 8Gb installed but 4Gb useable :(. I already checked in the msconfig-->boot for max memory and it's checked off, any ideas on what might be the prolem? thanks

Solution
The DIMM slots are apparently okay so the RAM is being detected to the MOBO itself, but since the RAM also requires the CPU which has a problem the RAM simply gets categorized as 'H/W Reserved.' Keep in mind there are numerous reasons, and the likely reason, in your case is the bent pin.

To answer 'why you have a bent pin' it happens for a variety of reason, but the top 2 are Mfg/production error and user error. If the pin is simply bent then you'll be fine and afterwards hopefully you won't give it a second thought.

Also, you could have incompatible RAM; if you list the EXACT part number(s) I will double check. Either look at the DIMM (RAM) itself or use CPUz {SPD tab} - http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html...

suat

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
RAM modules are difficult to install on this motherboard as there are only one locking clips on one side of the RAM slots. Therefore, make sure that you apply force on both upper edges of RAM sticks equally while seating them.

If this does not resolve the issue you are experiencing, enable D.O.C.P. in BIOS and try again. Then enable X.M.P. in BIOS and try again. Do not forget to save settings before you exit BIOS. Otherwise, changes will not take effect. You may also consider updating BIOS if you have not done so yet.

If all of the above attempts do not help, please be advised that some people resolved the issue by removing the CPU, checking the processor and the cpu socket for bent/uncontacting pins. Since the memory controller is in the CPU die, not separate as in older generation of Intel CPUs ( Northbridge-Southbridge thing ), CPU installation is critical.

Hope this helps.

suat

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
I do not think this is a main problem in Asus boards. I have P7P55D and Intel i7-860 CPU with 8 GB ( 4x 2 GB ) RAM. I have no problem at all.

The problem may lie in the voltage required to run RAM, though. My DRAM voltage requirement is 1.5 V. Therefore, I suggest people should choose RAM with low voltage specification.

If your OS is 32-bit then 4GB is all that can be addressed. Also considering that you have P55 then the next likely problem is a bent CPU pin. The bent CPU pin happens here almost daily. Also, if you have multiple partitions and/or one with a 32-bit OS. You can 'try' to clear CMOS. Memory limits - http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa366778(VS.85).aspx

Please post the following:
RM_7PRO6GB.gif

bz2h

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2010
Thanks for everyones reply!

Just to clearify, I do have windows 7 64 bit, and it says 4gb usable in bios, so the problem is not the OS.

And since windows does say 8gb installed, there shouldn't be a problem with RAM installation or bent CPU pin right? because wouldn't that just make the other 4gb undetectable?

And hellstorm, do you know how to enable the PAE from motherboard? I can't seem to find it on my users manual. thanks

ANS - No :( CPU pin 9/10 chance.

The 'reason' for the image above was to 'see' if 4GB+ is held in the Hardware Reserved. If it is and you did as I recommended and do not have partitions or have booted from a 32-bit OS then Suspect #1 is a bent CPU pin.

Unfortunately it is VERY {too} common.

One last item to look at before pulling your CPU, verify the following. If it looks like this -- shut her down and pull the CPU:
Boot_OPT.gif

BTW - I see this almost once a day. Read {find "i3/i5/i7 'Missing' Memory" towards the bottom -> http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/275856-30-gigabyte-guide

bz2h

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2010

okay......i see, it does say 4gb in hardware reserved. Do you know why the cpu bent pin would cause that? i thought that would just not allow the system to see it? how come windows can still detect the other 4 gb?

5179942833_91b899bc20.jpg

The DIMM slots are apparently okay so the RAM is being detected to the MOBO itself, but since the RAM also requires the CPU which has a problem the RAM simply gets categorized as 'H/W Reserved.' Keep in mind there are numerous reasons, and the likely reason, in your case is the bent pin.

To answer 'why you have a bent pin' it happens for a variety of reason, but the top 2 are Mfg/production error and user error. If the pin is simply bent then you'll be fine and afterwards hopefully you won't give it a second thought.

Also, you could have incompatible RAM; if you list the EXACT part number(s) I will double check. Either look at the DIMM (RAM) itself or use CPUz {SPD tab} - http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html
softwares-cpuz-05.jpg

Solution

bz2h

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2010
actually problem solved after reseating the RAM for the third time......I have no idea why though, maybe this mobo is picky about which module goes into which slot :S. Thanks for everyone's help though, especially jaquith! :)

@suat Deserves Best Answer :sol:

Yes, seating them properly is paramount! I am very happy the problem is resolved - huge load off! I tend not to repeat other posts other than to add or sometimes {^+1} agree.

Good Luck! :)

suat

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
Dear jaquith,

You are very kind and you have a very good sense of humor, as well. ( {^+1} agree )

I told you I very much enjoy reading your posts, so does everybody. bz2h proves my point { Best answer selected by bz2h }. Actually, you deserve it through the informative, illustrative and self-explanatory posts you offer to the forum participants.

Keep doing good work and take care.

Status
Not open for further replies.