Sign in with
Your question

Antec 300 + CM Hyper 212+ Airflow

Last response: in Components
May 25, 2010 7:47:07 PM

Hello there,

I currently have an Antec 300 with 2 additional Antec Tri-Cool fans in the front. The front two pull in air and the top and rear fans pull out air, I generally keep them all on low.

I am planning on upgrading my PC guts in the next month, and will be adding in a HSF. The Hyper 212+ allows for the addition of up to 2 fans, utilizing a push/pull method. My question is what orientation should I use for the new heatsink? Do I want the 212+ oriented vertically to expel air out of the top? Basic properties of heat tell me this is the most logical way.

If I do that, would there be any problems with having 2 fans on the heatsink? I dont want to create too much air flow into the top fan as that will only cause the hot air to fill the case, and not be removed.

If anyone has any experience with this setup, or a similar setup I would appreciate their insight. Thanks,

Nick
a b ) Power supply
May 25, 2010 8:06:16 PM

Well, I have the Antec 900 which could have similar airflow properties, but the 900 is much larger and less cramped. So even though appearances tell us they should be similar, that may not be the case.
I have experimented with several configurations, utilizing several different cooling solutions. To make a long story short, I am running a Thermalright Ultra 120 with push pull fans facing the rear exhaust. I am currently getting the best temps ever. (AMD X4 940 @ 3.5Ghz, 32C idle-46 load) I have tried the single fan-rear exhaust, single fan top exhaust and push pull top exhaust.
For whatever reason the push pull toward the rear of the case has produced the best temps.
However, if you have the time I recommend experimenting with both types of exhaust. I am not sure that a pull fan blowing toward an exhaust could cause heat build-up, but air flow is a funky beast. For instance, you could do things that seem counter-intuitive that would greatly benefit your system.

I do know that a positive or negative pressure system will help eliminate heat more quickly. Either the CFM's on the intake should be higher, or the CFM's on the exhaust should be higher. Having equal pressure on both sides of the case can cause dead spots where heat can build up.
I do recommend push-pull as it seems the best way to pull heat away from your CPU.
m
l
May 25, 2010 8:15:12 PM

Thanks for the quick response! Currently, I have negative pressure in the case, and theoretically cooler air is being drawn in from the side vent on my case.

I think you're right in that I am going to have to experiment, but I appreciate the advice, from you're experiences, it sounds like push pull is going to be a given, and that I just need to determine the direction.

Do you recommend upgrading the stock fans on the CM Hyper 212+ (or on any HSF for that matter) to something better? I read in some reviews a lot of people are replacing the stock fans with the new CM 90 cfm 19dBa fans, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

m
l
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
May 25, 2010 8:15:30 PM

BTW, I have two 120 tricools intake in front and one 120 rear exhaust, and the big daddy 200mm top blowhole. In addition, with my Tru I was unable to keep the 120mm side intake bracket on. In its place I added a 80mm tricool, mostly for looks but I believe it actually helping my temps.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
May 25, 2010 8:23:53 PM

Well, that cooler is mighty for its price. I would like to see reviews with the stock fans and with replacements to determine the value of adding more expensive fans. Check Frostytech.com maybe..

I have 2 yate loon fans on mine, they are motherboard controlled. The front one runs from 900-1100 rpm and the rear from 1500-1650 rpm. Why? Dunno, but it works great! Quiet too, for an overclocked gaming rig with NINE fans!

Oh yeah, all tricools run on low.
m
l
May 25, 2010 8:26:10 PM

Thanks, I'll check out frostytech and see if there is any info there. Where are the Yate Loon fans sold from? I didn't see them on Newegg, but I see a lot of people have them...what makes them so good?
m
l
!