What programs to fix Win registry errors?

cath1352

Honorable
Nov 23, 2012
I just downloaded a (free) Win-zip program which after running said I had 165 problems, so I press fix button & it fixed some with 149 remaining errors "high risk", but it would cost me to remove those... Can you explain to me why I should or shouldn't purchase such a program. I have a Gateway notebook with Windows XP, 1.60 GHz, 0.99 GB of RAM. Small not real fast, but fine (usually) for me. But has gotten real slow.
Also, if that download will not help my computer, can I remove it in "add/remove programs" area w/o leaving issues behind that doesn't get removed?? Thank you in advance for all helpful replies.

Hello and welcome to Tom's Hardware Forums.

Generally speaking, those utilities that claim to be able to fix Registry errors and speed up your PC don't actually do so. Some do more harm than good and others are just malware in disguise.

Uninstall it then go to http://www.piriform.com and download CCleaner. It's free and safe to use and you can run the cleaner to get rid of all the clutter that comes mainly from being on the Net. There's also a light Registry skimmer that takes out only entries which are no longer relevant. The programme offers you the chance to back up the Registry just in case and I suggest you accept that offer and note the name and location of the resulting file.