Sign in with
Your question

FX6100 Running 4 Cores Or 6 For Gaming

Last response: in Overclocking
January 20, 2013 11:42:45 PM

Hello I have a AMD Fx6100 running at 4Ghz stable on all 6 cores & a xfx 6870. I heard that if I disable 2 of the other cores on my cpu I would achieve better results in gaming... is this true?? Also by disabling 2 of the cores would I achieve a higher overclock? Thanks for taking the time to look :) 

Cheers! http://img.tomshardware.com/forum/uk/icones/smilies/kao...
a c 202 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
a c 129 K Overclocking
January 21, 2013 9:57:46 AM

You would not get inherently better performance in gaming BUT you can reach a higher OC (less cores=less heat generated).

So yes you can get better gaming performance since games can not use all 6 cores anyway.

m
l
Anonymous
April 29, 2013 9:39:47 AM

The most high end gaming nowadays only makes use of a maximum of 4 cores in a CPU. As a matter of fact, they only use a maximum of 8GB of RAM and 2GB of GDDR5 on a video card is futureproofing. To be quite honest, disabling some of the cores in the CPU is not really going to make a difference to gaming on your PC.
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
April 29, 2013 5:25:17 PM

Anonymous said:
The most high end gaming nowadays only makes use of a maximum of 4 cores in a CPU. As a matter of fact, they only use a maximum of 8GB of RAM and 2GB of GDDR5 on a video card is futureproofing. To be quite honest, disabling some of the cores in the CPU is not really going to make a difference to gaming on your PC.

No, there are many games now that are threaded for over 4 cores. BF3, FacrCry3, Tomb Raider, Crysis 3 and more. Older games typically do not.
m
l
a c 202 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
a c 129 K Overclocking
April 29, 2013 8:56:59 PM

chrisafp07 said:
Anonymous said:

No, there are many games now that are threaded for over 4 cores. BF3, FacrCry3, Tomb Raider, Crysis 3 and more. Older games typically do not.

Bullshit... Not of those use more than 4 threads... In Crysis 3 it is semi-threaded for 4+, but only barely, and not at all for AMD modules.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
April 30, 2013 2:02:12 PM

Novuake said:
chrisafp07 said:
Anonymous said:

Bullshit... Not of those use more than 4 threads... In Crysis 3 it is semi-threaded for 4+, but only barely, and not at all for AMD modules.

No need for profanity, relax big guy, and you are also wrong. Plenty of information to read out there concerning it.

Now to better things, for the OP. Battlefield 3 is the most efficient game for over 4 core use, I have tested all modules in my 8350 myself and it uses all 8, I also notice it only uses 4 cores during none multi-player gameplay. Something to take into consideration. Future content will also likely be highly threaded.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
April 30, 2013 2:02:13 PM

Novuake said:
chrisafp07 said:
Anonymous said:

No need for profanity, relax big guy, and you are also wrong. Plenty of information to read out there concerning it.

Now to better things, for the OP. Battlefield 3 is the most efficient game for over 4 core use, I have tested all modules in my 8350 myself and it uses all 8, I also notice it only uses 4 cores during none multi-player gameplay. Something to take into consideration. Future content will also likely be highly threaded.
m
l
Anonymous
June 6, 2013 3:13:59 AM

Actually, AMD 8000 series processors only have 4 cores but AMD says that they do. The AMD FX 8350 actually has 4 cores but 8 threads which AMD counts as cores. So, Battlefield 3 only used 4 of your actual cores.
m
l
a c 202 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
a c 129 K Overclocking
June 6, 2013 3:39:28 AM

Anonymous said:
Actually, AMD 8000 series processors only have 4 cores but AMD says that they do. The AMD FX 8350 actually has 4 cores but 8 threads which AMD counts as cores. So, Battlefield 3 only used 4 of your actual cores.

You have zero understanding of integer cores... They share only SOME resources...

Here : http://hexus.net/tech/tech-explained/cpu/32240-amd-fx-s...
m
l
Anonymous
June 7, 2013 3:07:52 AM

Okay... So they are cores but not completely proper ones, as in Intel processors.
m
l
a c 202 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
a c 129 K Overclocking
June 7, 2013 9:20:56 AM

Anonymous said:
Okay... So they are cores but not completely proper ones, as in Intel processors.

Intel has whats called hyperthreading in their 1155/1150 I7s. They are even less cores than AMD cores since they are virtual, BUT an intel core performs faster than an AMD core thanks to better IPC.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
June 7, 2013 12:31:41 PM

Anonymous said:

No they are, you are just using Intel architecture as a standalone example. They build differently and AMD cores use floating point modules to distribute load amongst cores. Intel's "cores" compared to AMD separate 8 cores perform better core for core.
m
l
!