FX6100 Running 4 Cores Or 6 For Gaming

G

The most high end gaming nowadays only makes use of a maximum of 4 cores in a CPU. As a matter of fact, they only use a maximum of 8GB of RAM and 2GB of GDDR5 on a video card is futureproofing. To be quite honest, disabling some of the cores in the CPU is not really going to make a difference to gaming on your PC.

chrisafp07

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2012

No, there are many games now that are threaded for over 4 cores. BF3, FacrCry3, Tomb Raider, Crysis 3 and more. Older games typically do not.

Bullshit... Not of those use more than 4 threads... In Crysis 3 it is semi-threaded for 4+, but only barely, and not at all for AMD modules.

chrisafp07

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2012

No need for profanity, relax big guy, and you are also wrong. Plenty of information to read out there concerning it.

Now to better things, for the OP. Battlefield 3 is the most efficient game for over 4 core use, I have tested all modules in my 8350 myself and it uses all 8, I also notice it only uses 4 cores during none multi-player gameplay. Something to take into consideration. Future content will also likely be highly threaded.

chrisafp07

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2012

No need for profanity, relax big guy, and you are also wrong. Plenty of information to read out there concerning it.

Now to better things, for the OP. Battlefield 3 is the most efficient game for over 4 core use, I have tested all modules in my 8350 myself and it uses all 8, I also notice it only uses 4 cores during none multi-player gameplay. Something to take into consideration. Future content will also likely be highly threaded.

G

Actually, AMD 8000 series processors only have 4 cores but AMD says that they do. The AMD FX 8350 actually has 4 cores but 8 threads which AMD counts as cores. So, Battlefield 3 only used 4 of your actual cores.

You have zero understanding of integer cores... They share only SOME resources...

Here : http://hexus.net/tech/tech-explained/cpu/32240-amd-fx-series/

Intel has whats called hyperthreading in their 1155/1150 I7s. They are even less cores than AMD cores since they are virtual, BUT an intel core performs faster than an AMD core thanks to better IPC.

chrisafp07

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2012

No they are, you are just using Intel architecture as a standalone example. They build differently and AMD cores use floating point modules to distribute load amongst cores. Intel's "cores" compared to AMD separate 8 cores perform better core for core.