Sign in with
Your question

Am I screwed??

Last response: in Storage
April 11, 2012 8:48:32 PM

Hi guys I received this hard drive today, good seller very fast shipping. But the drive went bad, after plugging it started to make a rare ticking sound, in a while I heard a spark sound. The PCB received damage is a Maxtor diamondmax 21. Is there a way to repair that? It is not the main chip nor the memory, its the other square chip, the damaged area is small. :??:  Thanx

More about : screwed

a c 99 G Storage
April 11, 2012 8:51:02 PM

Wow, older drive? Probably cost more to fix than but a new drive.

PCB boards are out there from $40.00.
500GB drives are down to $80, 1TB around $120.00.
m
l
April 11, 2012 9:11:16 PM

It's a 750 gb drive. 7200 rpm sata. Yeah its not that new but I would like to know if there is a way to make it work without having to replace the PCB. I haven tried to pluggin it again since. Don't know if it spins
m
l
Related resources
April 11, 2012 9:43:07 PM

Freinando, to answer your question, No.

Without the EXACT same PCB from the same model etc you will no longer be able to access that drive. Bear in mind, the 'tick' sounds like it was a hardware fault, in which case, replacing the PCB would be a waste of money.
m
l
April 11, 2012 10:03:03 PM

True but I have my doubts if I plugged it properly. I have read that bad connection can ruin a PCB.
m
l
April 11, 2012 10:05:30 PM

But thanks, it seems that I can't run this drive anymore. Ill be looking to sell it to get some money back, I bought it for less a PCB costs thats why I dont wanted to go that way
m
l
April 11, 2012 10:24:58 PM

lol.. you'll be looking to sell it... keep it away from me ;) 
m
l
April 11, 2012 10:25:04 PM

Given the low cost of new drives now, I am not sure you will get much (or anything) from it. Especially since the problem cannot be diagnosed properly to describe to a buyer.

You might be out of luck on this one. Did you buy it from a retail shipper or a person? You may be able to contact them. If it never worked they may replace it.

Sounds to me like you received a defective produce since it did not work upon install, to be honest. And if you do contact them say that it did not work when you plugged it in. Don't hmm and haw about "well, I may not have plugged it in right". Just contact them and find out what the options are since it did not work upon install.
m
l
a b G Storage
April 11, 2012 10:45:08 PM

Suck it up and move on - if you plugged it in the wrong way - you have nobody to blame but yourself - take responsibility and buy another HDD.
-Bruce
m
l
April 11, 2012 11:59:24 PM

dish_moose said:
Suck it up and move on - if you plugged it in the wrong way - you have nobody to blame but yourself - take responsibility and buy another HDD.
-Bruce

If he plugged it in wrong. It is very difficult to do this given that all the plugs (SATA) are directional and only fit one way.
m
l
!