Sign in with
Your question

Graphics card, should i, can i

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 3, 2010 4:13:46 AM

ok, here is my system specs

a amd 955 black, non over clocked apparently it doesn't matter which one i use both are 125watt.
i have a asus m4a785-m motherboard
a dvd drive, dont think that matters which one
i have 3 7200 hdds, non are green to my knowledge

i have 2 hdds attached to usb and poweradapters, and a few other usb things, if you want me to list i will but i dont know if they matter

and what is in my computer right now is a gforce 6800, cpuz says that its a ultra, but i always thought it was the one 1 under ultra.

i do believe that is everything in my computer.

now my power supply has 32amps on the 12 volt line. and it isnt a name brand but it was put in as a replacement by a computer place.

the graphics card i want is radon hd 5770. i wouldn't overclock it at all, but it says it needs 36amps, or 34 i forget, but i believe 36 amps.

i cant shake it out of my head that it will not work at lower.

and also, the reason im brining this up is that 2 of my harddrives are failing, and im going to replace them soon. i was wondering if i should upgrade than because ill be reinstalling windows and everything anyway, all my nvidia drivers will be gone and far easier for me to install than.

and finaly i have heard of if i have an onboard card, and a real graphics card, i can crossfire them and get more preformance or something? can someone explain that to me a bit?

More about : graphics card

March 3, 2010 6:59:33 AM

im going to add, that the only thing that is holding me back, if EVERYTHING else works, is the hard drive brand is Seagate's 1.5tb inturnal. its highly possible that i will be forced to buy another brand 2tb drive so i can backup data to something reliable.
March 3, 2010 12:35:30 PM

damn, if i need a new powesupply, than i wont bother. i can wait until either this one dies or windows craps out again.

and i was planning on ordering the new video card, and when the replacement hard drives came id have to reinstall windows anyway, so haveing a drive with no nvidia drives to uninstal would have been nice. but ill have to wait i guess.
Related resources
March 3, 2010 1:30:21 PM

tons and tons of bad experiances.

hell i put up with a bad video card driver conflict for close to a tear before windows crapped out and i had to reinstall, than the video drivers worked awsomely.

with me and tech, its more of an anything that can go wrong will go wrong.

internet
video
windows itself

anything that can go wrong will, and its usualy something minor that triggers it.

hell right now i have to wait close to a minute to start plying any video.

i have a phenom 955 but still takes almost a minute in any player before anything starts playing.

and are you sure about needing a new psu? i mean look at this http://www.spodesabode.com/archive/content/article/6800... and this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_Pentium_4_mi...

from what i can tell the p4 i had before, used 100watt of power, and the gforce, i push to the max most of the time, probably runs close to 100 watt too, and this setup im talking about was on a psu with i believe 18amps on the 12 volt.

i have close to double that amp now, with what is close to the same power useage i had before. i dont mean to doubt you, i just want to be damn sure before i scrap the idea altogether.
a c 172 U Graphics card
March 3, 2010 1:50:31 PM

What brand and model is your psu, take the side panel off and take a little look. I think you got enough power for a single 5770 and once managed to run a 8800gtx off a 475w enermax that was 5 years old. My game rig has a antec ea650 (ok I guess) while my wifi box has just a neo HE550. So with 32 amps on yours if a quality build then you should be ok.
March 3, 2010 10:45:06 PM

i didnt say the watt because that isnt what matters, its the amps on the 12 line.

its a powerup 550 watt powersupply. when my old motherboard died, i had no wat to know it was dead or how to even begin testing, so i had to take it to a computer shop.

the psu was dead ot as close to dead as it can get, and they replaced the psu i had with that and charged me 100$ for the pau alone, still pissed they couldn't have put something crusiar into it.
a b U Graphics card
March 4, 2010 11:21:51 AM

Quote:
I didn't ask for the watt, I asked for the make and model, which is more important than the watt or amps.

Generic psu's (like yours) exaggerate watts and amps and measure them at a different temperature than a quality psu would be measured.

The psu will work for your needs but $100, wow. It really pays to have a friend that knows computers if you don't. Next time ask around work or school, your likely to find someone who can help you out next time.

lmao here is his PSU

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

or so im guessing...
Power Up!
a c 172 U Graphics card
March 4, 2010 11:36:04 AM

ew el cheapo el crapo these are the units I avoid. Cheap units are usually over rated compared to their actual limit so I would replace that one before any issue come of it.
March 4, 2010 11:59:06 AM

Get a Corsair PSU that is over 600w. The Radeon HD 5770 requires 34A on the 12+ rail.

http://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=104805.0;all

Corsair power supplies are decent quality and still get good ratings so you would be safe if you got one. That's my recommendation anyway.
March 5, 2010 12:43:19 AM

Quote:
I didn't ask for the watt, I asked for the make and model, which is more important than the watt or amps.

Generic psu's (like yours) exaggerate watts and amps and measure them at a different temperature than a quality psu would be measured.

The psu will work for your needs but $100, wow. It really pays to have a friend that knows computers if you don't. Next time ask around work or school, your likely to find someone who can help you out next time.

i am the person that they go to for computer problems.

what happened was the psu died and the motherboard had a short to apparently.

because i was building my little brother computer, and not a whole lot of money, i swapped my psu for the one o got him. but the new psu didnt work, and i didnt have the money to test everything. so i gave it to the only tech shop in the area, where they screwed my on the motherboard cost, and the psu cost, and on top of not hooking everything up, charged me 200$ as there working fee.

after that, i decided never again, as any problem that is beyond my ability to figure out, means something serious broke.

BroHamBone said:
lmao here is his PSU

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

or so im guessing...
Power Up!

like i didnt have enough reason to be pissed at them already. god damnit, that is my psu. knowing this before hand i would have refused to pay that.

Canuck1 said:
Get a Corsair PSU that is over 600w. The Radeon HD 5770 requires 34A on the 12+ rail.

http://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=104805.0;all

Corsair power supplies are decent quality and still get good ratings so you would be safe if you got one. That's my recommendation anyway.

yea, i have next to no money, like 300$ with a 170$ graphics card, 40$ for hard drive replacement, and another 60 or so for for yet another psu... yea, that would leave me with all of 30$, and i honestly cant trust my computer to not screw up in a way that requires money.
March 5, 2010 12:49:05 AM

also, i would probably get a crusiar 550watt. because what i understand, the psu minimums they they give on a gpu take into account the rest of the system. and over all power cost is a concern for me, at least kind of is.
March 5, 2010 9:47:43 AM

i have a question.

i get the power requirements say 34amp, but here is the way i see it.

my psu has 32 amps which comes to 384 watts.

my cpu is 125
if i remember right a harddrive is 10
so 30
dvd drive, ill say 20
so that comes to 185watts of 12volt.

wiki said 18-108 for power consumption,

which now comes to 293 watts.

now if the link that i found for my gforce is to be trusted, it can take 125 watts which is more draw than the 5770.

i dont know what my motherboard takes, but the way that i see it, is that over all i will have more power for my computer with the 5770 using 18watts apposed to my gforce at 70 something at minimum draw. and at most, when i push my computer, i will have more power because at peak, my gforce apparently draws 125watts.

can someone tell me if the way i am seeing this is wrong? or am i leaveing something important out?
March 5, 2010 12:54:09 PM

sorry there, i missed that. i dont know how.

its just hard when i read 2 contradictory things, like it requires a 450psu, but than being told else ware that it also requires so many amps.

id love to be able to set this aside and know for a fact my computer is good enough to run it.
a c 172 U Graphics card
March 5, 2010 1:12:48 PM

alidan said:
also, i would probably get a crusiar 550watt. because what i understand, the psu minimums they they give on a gpu take into account the rest of the system. and over all power cost is a concern for me, at least kind of is.

o.O ? LOL What is that never herd of that brand. Just go out and get your self a NAME brand that most people get like Antec, Corsair, Enermax, Coolmaster, exct. So stop wasting your hard earned money on crappy units.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
March 5, 2010 1:44:29 PM

nforce4max said:
o.O ? LOL What is that never herd of that brand. Just go out and get your self a NAME brand that most people get like Antec, Corsair, Enermax, Coolmaster, exct. So stop wasting your hard earned money on crappy units.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Pretty sure he was being sarcastic, because the previous poster had misspelled corsair (he had type crusair).

Cheers.
March 5, 2010 5:15:37 PM

yea i cant spell. and i wasnt going to google search the name of a brand that everyone knows exactly what im talking about.

so just so im clear, the 5770 should run just fine barring any hardware failure on the graphics card, or incompatibility (is that even possible with a amd motherboard) or possible drive hick up?

and also, would anyone know where i can go to see drive caused errors made by amd? i really want to see what im getting myself into with the 5770 and xp
March 6, 2010 11:16:22 PM

well, every place i go to, that i can see good and bad reviews of the hd 5xxx series, i also find that it has problems on some motherboards, and sometimes the drivers them selves cause major errors (just repeteing what i read)
a c 172 U Graphics card
March 6, 2010 11:46:58 PM

alidan said:
well, every place i go to, that i can see good and bad reviews of the hd 5xxx series, i also find that it has problems on some motherboards, and sometimes the drivers them selves cause major errors (just repeteing what i read)

That is true however some of the problems should have been worked out by now however there are older cards that are time and tested.
March 6, 2010 11:55:05 PM

most bugs driver wise, should be worked out, but compatibility motherboard wise, isnt as easy to work out.

i really doubt an amd based motherboard would have any problems, but some how i keep getting *** on by technology.

so far i have had
5 xboxes break, and only 2 red ring.
1ps3 (red ring equivilant there)
1 wii (wont reconise dvds)
my old mother board had a short circut that no one was a ble to figure out what happened
an even older video card apparently crapped out, but showed no sighns in the computer that it was going bad
and the list goes on, many of the rest are times i installed new drivers, and somethign messed up.

just through experinace alone, i know that even though drive bugs are worked out for the most part, i need to see the 1 in a million chances.

and i know i have alot more spelling errors here, but my spell check isnt giveing me anything as replacemnets for them.
March 7, 2010 10:52:59 AM

yea, granted im never getting something over 200$ for surge protection, but i do have something that will protect me up to 250000$
!