Solved

Asus sabertooth x58 / asus p6x58d premium, time to post

Have my mobos narrowed down to go with my i7 950 to asus sabertooth x58 or asus p6x58d premium. Really, the sabertooth looks better to me in all respects but one. The p6x58d has 2 pci slots; the sabertooth has only one.

I'm coming from an asus p5wdh deluxe. Has been a fantastic board for years, but the PITA has always been time the board takes to post. Every time I boot up, I get to stare at the asus logo for forever. Real drag when installing / rebooting.

Question: on booting, approximately how long for each of these boards to post?
16 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about asus sabertooth asus p6x58d premium time post
  1. Welcome Back! :)

As a compromise look at the P6X58D-E. The Sabertooth has 8+2+2 vs P6X58D-E with 16+2 phase power and supports 3-WAY CF/SLI. Link http://usa.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=gFBKfNyhppW9tDbB

With SSD and P6X58D-E I have a FULL boot ~15 Seconds; Post time with screen-off ~<1 second.

Also, you can shorten the Post time by turning-off the Post Screen in the BIOS.
  2. Just read a review of p6x58d and they don't say how long the board takes but the review does say,

"The only downside to all these additional controllers is the long time that the P6X58D Premium takes to boot, especially if you don’t disable the incredibly annoying Express Gate Linux based operating system."

I don't know what they mean by "long time" but if it's anything like the p5wdh deluxe I've had, it's annoying to have a fast processor / mobo and have to wait forever for the thing to boot up.
  3. ^ I edited above.

Also, my rig is so stable I 'might' reboot once a week just because 'I feel' like it or if there's some Windows update that requires a reboot.

Yes, turn-off the Boot Screens...shaves 2-3 seconds.
  4. So, coming from a computer that is turned off, you power on and are at a Windows desktop in 15 seconds?

That's why I wish reviews wouldn't use terms like "long time." Compared to what I'm used to with the p5wdh deluxe, 15 seconds is not a long time at all.

I won't be using an SSD, I'll be using a WD Black 7200 rpm. Still digging around the web to find times for the Sabertooth x58, because I think that is the board I prefer. I don't have any use for the 3-way crossfire / sli.

I don't leave my computer on. It's more my image editing work station than anything, so I shut it down when I'm not using it.
  5. Boot time has everything to do with 'how much' data the HDD/HHD/SSD needs to Read, and next the time required to 'process' that data. The differences between the Sabertooth X58 and P6X58D-E would me immeasurable ~<1sec.

If there's a long boot time then there are other factors coming primary from the Devices and/or 'startup' data. In either case something is wrong if it takes >40 seconds to boot any X58 rig. And my first assumption an INIT failure/problem in the Devices/hardware.

The choice between Sabertooth X58 and P6X58D-E is 9/10 for the 16+2 phase power; OC, Stability, Device performance, and RAM. The $40 difference is a no brainier. If it a 'color' thing - give me pink-poker-dots and solid. Otherwise look at the EVGA X58 FTW3 132-GT-E768-KR - great gamer MOBO whereas either ASUS is a good gamer and great Office/Gamer.
  6. Really looking at post time more than boot time. I think that's right. Basically, from the time one pushes the "on" button to the time that OS starts to load. On the p5wdh deluxe, it's a good 25-30 seconds. Then my boot loader shows up on screen, and then windows starts to load.

The only advantage for me with the p6x58D is the extra PCI slot. Maybe. I absolutely have to have 1 pci slot for a scsi card. With the sabertooth, I won't have another pci slot. I also cannot identify an immediate need for one, so no biggie. None of the other stuff matters. The Sabertooth has a 5 yr. warranty and all the reviews emphasize excellent components. As this is a business machine first, that carries more weight. The money is not the difference maker for me. Colors don't matter either. A lot of reviews recommend the Sabertooth if you don't need any of the features, bells, whistles I don't use anyway.

Sounds like either board likely posts in a few seconds. I'll dig around on the web a bit more, probably a video review somewhere shows the real time of turning on. Just don't want the annoyance of a long wait like I've had with my old mobo.
  7. What do you think I use the P6X58D-E for?? ... Pseudo Workstations; I have 10 all identical see my "Everyday". I, my daughter more so than me, game only on EVGA w/3-WAY.

I look at the P6X58D-E as 'super-duty' and my employees do mission critical data testing and primarily use them as a 'dummy terminal' to the servers. I originally looked into HP Workstations, and for 1/2 {$1,600 vs $3,000+} the price I decided upon the build vs buy. Keep in mind my version of a small test is 400,000 core records being related to 800,000 + 650,000 + 120,000 records that PEGS ALL the CPU cores which stresses the CPU ~ Prime95. The servers do millions upon millions.

Yes, the warranty is nicer but the Sabertooth is too consumer for 'me.' We'll trade notes a few years from now...
  8. You've got me reconsidering, although I have gone back and forth between these 2 boards. I'm hanging around for a black friday killer deal. Already found the killer deal on the i7-950. $199 at Microcenter. Post or boot times don't look to be an issue. Still don't understand a reviewer thinking that boot time for the p6x58d as "long time." The "too consumer" tag may be about right for my experience level if that translates into a more "dummy proof" board.
  9. I've seen Microcenter's similar prices before on the i7 930 - I wish I was close to one, but... :( sadly NO! In 5 years they'll be using the i7's for decoupage.

Currently, the $230 price is about the cheapest; remember to factor in/out TAXES.

The only BIOS changes I did were (3) 1. CPU Fan = 100% {H50}, 2. Set the IDE -> RAID + RAID configuration, 3. Optional manually set all of the RAM Speed, CAS, and DRAM Voltage. I'd have to do the same on either MOBO...

From my years I've found the the best choice is to slightly overkill ($) and not run everything to full capacity; my rigs use excellent components and the only part that is stressed is the CPU.

CPU: i7 930 (2.8 MHz) ; affordable $::performance {I'd get the i7 950 today}
    MOBO: ASUS P6X58D-E ; excellent power for CPU
    RAM: 6GB (2GBx3) DDR3/1600MHz (Corsair Dominator TR3X6G1600C8D) ; excellent RAM running at rated and ideally CAS set
    FAN: Corsair H50 Push/Pull ; good cooling + easy to clean
    HDD1: 128 GB Kingston 2.5 inch SATA Gaming MLC SSD ; large enough for OS + Apps (Outlook indexes ~ instantly w/huge # emails) and large Apps open in 2-3 seconds.
    HDD2-3: (1TBx2) RAID 1 SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 32MB Cache 7200RPM HDD ; Redundancy of data + they all have network back-up
    VIDEO: ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB ; not for gaming but supports multiple monitors
    PSU: Corsair 750 Watts CMPSU-750TX ; Japanese capacitors + over/under & fault protection, and over sized to run at ideal 50%
    CASE: CoolerMaster 690 II Advanced ; cheap but with very good top/sides/ft & back and PSU @ bottom
    DVD: LG 22X DVD±/±RW + CD-R/RW Dual Layer ; only copy limited data
    OS: Windows 7 Professional (64-bit) ; required for networks and RAM > 4GB

Example:
    $1,200 5YRS = $20/mo ; $1.00/day {working days}
    $1,500 5YRS = $25/mo ; $1.25/day {time per day saved 10-15 minutes}; staff rate $39/hr or $9.75/ 1/4 hour
    Q - is $0.25 saved worth $9.75 expense.

I analyse EVERYTHING!
  10. Very helpful. Looks like the p6x58d-e is even more desirable than the more expensive p6x58d premium.

I've got to upgrade my graphics card also. I'm using an old radeon 1650 now. So, this build is primarily image editing, but I may do some gaming on it as well (all I do now is play chess). Would that radeon hd 5770 be ok for someone like me or is there another you would recommend? As long as it plays nice with my nec multisync p221w and x-rite spectraview calibration system. I will likely plug in another cheap monitor for gaming. Pretty much have everything else I need. Not going SSD yet.

That i7-950 is $199 at Microcenter. With tax in GA that's $213.

Very much appreciate the advice.
  11. I too do some Photoshop, but what 'I' do and what 'you' do may be completely different. The HD 5770 should be perfectly fine unless you make your living from photo editing; if so I'd look at a Pro GPU. Using a 'calibrator' I would assume 'Pro.'

If your profession is tied to Photoshop:
    One of my guys uses both Premiere and Photoshop and 'has to' have his Mac Pro; it's cost is obscene. Otherwise I'd recommend a full fledged Xeon Workstation {ECC, Pro GPU, SSD}. Expected cost ~$2,000-$2,500+ if you build it.

Example simple rendering rig {I rarely post in the build section; too much of my time to do it right} - http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/294828-31-where-start
  12. I make my living as a pro photographer, but for my work there is no need for any too special GPU. Like I said, I've been using the radeon 1650 for a few years now and it's doing great. Big files and batch processing taking too long is getting to be my bottleneck. Color management is the key, and still being able to use my SCSI film scanner, and I'm covered there. There is a compatiblility list with my spectraview multi-sync so I'll just check that and get the GPU that can do some gaming, but also play nice with my monitor and calibrator.
  13. Best answer
    Trust this the 1st thing I did was to look-up the 'NEC SpectraView II' http://www.necdisplay.com/supportcenter/monitors/spectraview2/compatibility/ and the P221W-BK[-SV] monitor, but I noticed no specific mention of 'supported' GPUs.

The reasons for the 'Xeon' + 100% spec system is to avoid unforeseen problems. The Xeon + Pro GPU I KNOW will render faster {faster = $}. My company does process magazine quality separations for our clients. We do the lovely foreclosure data processing for three states and our clients are for the most part Institutional corporate clients, but they too want their glossy reports.

If you're processing RAW / TIFF images for single images, I noted the batch processing too, then the HD 5770 / FirePro, or ----> nVidia Quadro series GPUs. Photoshop CS5 and as I recall CS4 too offers added acceleration for nVidia over ATI {AMD} GPUs. Therefore I would recommend one of the following nVidia GPUs:

See - http://www.adobe.com/products/premiere/systemreqs/
    Supported NVIDIA graphics cards for GPU acceleration
    GeForce GTX 285 (Windows and Mac OS)
    GeForce GTX 470 (Windows)
    Quadro 4000 (Windows)
    Quadro 5000 (Windows)
    Quadro FX 3800 (Windows)
    Quadro FX 4800 (Windows and Mac OS)
    Quadro FX 5800 (Windows)
    Quadro CX

...just trying to help! :)
  14. Very helpful. Thanks to you I'm getting somewhere, and you already helped me avoid a mistake on a GPU purchase. Those Quadros are too rich for my blood, but if if I can pick your brain one more time, regarding GPU's. From the Adobe link, I see GE Force GTX 285 and GE Force GTX 470. So, I'm trying to determine which is "best" and then which actual card is best from these:

GTX 285:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125280&cm_re=geforce_gtx_285-_-14-125-280-_-Product

GTX 470:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121400&cm_re=geforce_gtx_470-_-14-121-400-_-Product

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814261073&cm_re=geforce_gtx_470-_-14-261-073-_-Product

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130549&cm_re=geforce_gtx_470-_-14-130-549-_-Product

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130550&cm_re=geforce_gtx_470-_-14-130-550-_-Product
  15. The GTX 285 is DirectX 10, and the others are DirectX 11, so it's already outdated.

EVGA Warranty - http://www.evga.com/support/warranty/
    Limited Lifetime: The EVGA limited lifetime warranty is only eligible for part numbers ending in: -A1, -A2, -A3, -A4, -AR, -AX, -CR, -CX, -DX, -FR, -FX, -SG, -SX. (with product registration 30 days from purchase)

EVGA 012-P3-1470-AR GeForce GTX 470 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130550 Yes, I did note the 0.25GB RAM difference which is an added benefit if you're running a 30" or Dual 20"+ monitors; EVGA 012-P3-1472-AR. Your call there...

Use MSI Afterburner {FREE} and OC the GPU, save $18 - http://event.msi.com/vga/afterburner/

Don't get me wrong I too like the ASUS, GPU's way more so than MOBO are more prone to failure.
  16. Best answer selected by roscolo.
Ask a new question

Read More

Asus Sabertooth Motherboards