Intel i7-950 idle temp

stevethedb

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2011
Okay so I just finished my first build. CPU is intel i7-950 with ...ahem...stock intel fan. In the BIOS hardware monitor my CPU temp is around 50*C at idle. Just wondering if this is normal and what is the max temp it can operate safely at?

Also I was wondering how to check the temp while the CPU is getting a workout.

Any info would be great. Thanks

For monitoring there is Coretemp http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/ is popular then there are realtemp, speedfan and others.
50°C is high unless your ambient is in the 40's! Make sure your Cooler is properly seated with the push pins firmly inserted.

stevethedb

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2011

Thanks for the info. By ambient temp are you talking about room temp, or case temp?

M room temp is around 22C. It's not crazy hot in here or anything. I'll give the cooler a once over and see if that helps.

TheTech214

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
I have a 950 with a cooler master V8 cpu cooler and the thermal paste that came with it. At idle I am at 39 c at the highest temp core. You seem very high, make sure your cpu cooler is on the mother board is put on correctly. If you can swing it look into aftermarket cpu coolers. If you do invset in one make sure to get Artic Silver thermal paste.

TRENDING THREADS