Sign in with
Your question

Fans with no speed control...

Last response: in Systems
March 16, 2010 11:56:32 PM

I'm building a new computer inside the Antec 300 case. What I'm aiming to do is add 3 extra 125mm fans (as well as the included 140mm and 125mm).

Since the additional fans do not have the capability of speed control, and will be running at full speed all the time, will they be extremely noisy? I'd rather not pay a whole lot more for fans with speed controls unless I have to; not to mention the fact that my motherboard only supports an additional 2 system fans. Noise isn't a massive issue, but at the same time I don't want my entire room to fill with a low buzzing sound :p . I've linked to the fans below.

The fans: 120mm 4-pin molex case fan.

More about : fans speed control

a b B Homebuilt system
March 17, 2010 12:33:32 AM

120's usually aren't terribly loud. They usually spin slower than 80's or 92's, so that helps. I have 3 CoolerMaster 120's within arms reach here running at full speed (1980RPM), and although they're not silent, they're not a nuisance either. If noise ends up being a big issue, you can always splice in a resistor to drop them to 6V/1/2 speed.
March 17, 2010 8:37:17 PM

jack_attack said:
120's usually aren't terribly loud. They usually spin slower than 80's or 92's, so that helps. I have 3 CoolerMaster 120's within arms reach here running at full speed (1980RPM), and although they're not silent, they're not a nuisance either. If noise ends up being a big issue, you can always splice in a resistor to drop them to 6V/1/2 speed.

Just the answer I needed - thanks. :) 
a b B Homebuilt system
March 18, 2010 12:28:18 AM

No problem, hope it helps.
!