Ok, recently built my own pc so I refurbed and gave my old one to my other half as she had a p4, specs are as follows

msi-k9n6pgm2-v mobo with athlon 64x2 3600+ chip at 1.91 Ghz, not clocked at all
2 Gb of Ram, no name brand, ran memtest a few times and no errors
Club 4350 Ati graphics card, new unit
Samsung HD321KJ HDD new unit, new install of windows xp home
and a couple of 80mm fans added cause her pc doesnt live in the best of places.

I got it back up and running fine and once she put all her stuff on it she was happy with the improvement, however it occasionally randomly freezes up, she has to power off the unit after which it usually says 'hard drive? what hard drive? aint seen one Guv'nor'.
After several re-starts and convincing bios there is still a HDD plugged in it is ok again for a while,
So after another yet angry text I took it apart again, all leads are sat in place tight, nothing untoward I can see going on.
Its been ok for about a week now but last night off it went again.
Speedfan says one temp is -128' which is on a F71882f,
Im starting to think the chipsets had enough of life, any ideas?
Can post any figures etc needed, I work nights tho, so wont be til later this afternoon
Thanks in anticipation Guys n Gals

Does it also forget the date and time? Might be the motherboard CMOS battery.

Sorry, had just finished work when I posted :p
Psu is a 400w no-namer jsc, but its about 3 years younger than her 350w no-namer and I have replaced the 2032 battery, Drivers all up-to-date and Memtests ran for about 7 hours altogether,Booted ok this morning but I can only wait to see if its helped, Thought I'd ask on here for more ideas meantime, ty for the input guys :)

roonj

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2009
You didn't say where the hard drive came from or if you stripped it and repartioned it. Sometimes the partion table can be off 1 byte from one system to another. You might go to diskmgr and see what it says about the drive's partion table.
It may be neccessary to delete all partions then (reboot) and create a fresh partion table. I'm sure the drive is jumpered correctly with regards to sata1 vs sata2 drive selection and I'm thinking that board is sata2 but not sure.