codnan

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2010
hi there i have just recently built my first computer so a bit new to this but my mother in law has asked me to build her one she mainly uses it to go on the internet,email,and photo printing so dosent need amazing specs .....so i was wondering what everyone thought about this and what changes youd make

Corsair VX 450 / PSU / Power Supply Unit / 450W
COOLER MASTER Elite 341 PC Tower Case
AMD Athlon II X2 250 Socket AM3 3.0GHz 2MB L2
Gigabyte GA-MA78LM-S2
500GB Samsung HD502HJ Spinpoint F3,
Crucial 2GB DDR2 800MHz/PC2-6400 Ballistix
Samsung TS-H353 16x SATA DVD-
artic silver 5

£239 final price

thanks all for your help

False_Dmitry_II

Distinguished
Thing is, if she isn't likely to upgrade again in the next 2 years or so while the AM3 platform (and/or DDR3 in general) are active then it makes absolutely no difference.

In this case if you don't think she needs more than 2 gigs of RAM and that mobo/ram combination is cheaper then I say go for it.

You could even up it to an x3 if you wanted to delay need for anything else even more, but I doubt that it's called for.

tnsantosh

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2010
Your system looks more than good enuf! Like False_Dmitry said, if the system is not gonna be upgraded for 2 years or so, and if u r sure that its mainly for those purposes that are stated (NO GAMING!), just go ahead and buy it! U can save some bucks by not going for DDR3.

jack_attack

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2009
I think AM3 is going to stay around for a while, someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

He didn't list where he was getting parts, but the price difference to go to DDR3 is negligible from what I found.

False_Dmitry_II

Distinguished
It depends on how you define "a while". Alot of people buying systems like this, especially for their parents, probably mean that they're coming from P4 or socket A systems. If yer gonna hold onto something like that for that long then the difference between the two is highly irrelevant.

Also on newegg AM2+ boards are quite a bit cheaper for one of the same chipset.