Sign in with
Your question

Dual Boot --> BSOD at StartUP

Last response: in Windows 7
December 22, 2009 12:28:54 PM

Hello Friends.

I have a problem when I install Windows 7 + XP in different machines. I do this:

1º HDD --> Partition 1 60 GB || Partition 2 60 GB || Partition 3 The rest of the disk || Partition 4 (40 GB)
NTFS NTFS NTFS FAT32

2º Install windows in partition 1.

3º Restore an image of XP in partition 2 and change "boot.ini" to start in second partition.

4º Install GAG.

Everything seems to be ok, but sometimes I get a BSOD on startup with both: Windows 7 and XP.

When I get a BSOD I restart the computer and it usually works.

Any idea?

I have passed MemTest86 and I have no errors.

The error code is 0x0000007B ( ...., ...., ...., ...)

More about : dual boot bsod startup

a c 215 $ Windows 7
December 22, 2009 12:33:59 PM

Either there is a problem with the partitions that XP and 7 are installed to (more likely to be the MFT itself on both partitions), or your hard drive is failing. For the MFT issue, run chkdsk on both affected partitions. If it turns up nothing, download and burn the Ultimate Boot CD (www.ultimatebootcd.com) and run some of the included hard drive diagnostic tools.
m
l
December 22, 2009 12:41:33 PM

The_Prophecy said:
Either there is a problem with the partitions that XP and 7 are installed to (more likely to be the MFT itself on both partitions), or your hard drive is failing. For the MFT issue, run chkdsk on both affected partitions. If it turns up nothing, download and burn the Ultimate Boot CD (www.ultimatebootcd.com) and run some of the included hard drive diagnostic tools.

Ufff, a hardware problem ?

This is happening to me on two different computers:

1.- One Desktop --> Asus p5kc + intel q6600
2.- One laptop

Two hard disks with the same trouble ?

And... I can use Windows 7 ... I start up like 30 times with Windows 7 only and It works. The same with XP. The problem comes when I put the two O.S's at time.

I usually install Windows 7 (64 bits Pro) in the first one partition and XP on the second.

:-(
m
l
Related resources
a c 215 $ Windows 7
December 22, 2009 12:50:21 PM

You only appeared to mention the partition structure of one machine above. How is the hard drive(s) in your second computer set up?

Edit: THe 7B blue screen is INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE. Typically, the most common cause of this bug check is a bad hard drive. Getting the same bug check on both systems is unlikely, but not impossible.
m
l
December 22, 2009 1:06:01 PM

The_Prophecy said:
You only appeared to mention the partition structure of one machine above. How is the hard drive(s) in your second computer set up?

Edit: THe 7B blue screen is INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE. Typically, the most common cause of this bug check is a bad hard drive. Getting the same bug check on both systems is unlikely, but not impossible.

Hi.

Thank you for your help.

On the second computer the HD has a similar structure:

P1 NTFS (System1) - P2 NTFS (System 2) - P3 NTFS (Data) - P4 FAT32 (BackUp)

Only changes the size of the partitions. But they're similar... 50, 50 , 300, 50 aprox.

I'm downloading the Ultimate Boot CD.

Now I'll try:

a) Tools of Ultimate Boot CD
b) Change the HD.

Another Idea?

The error code is always (i belive) 0x0000007 I don't remember if is always 07 or 07B, I belive that not always appears the "B" letter. I'll take photographs.

m
l
a c 215 $ Windows 7
December 22, 2009 1:07:58 PM

0x07 is INVALID_SOFTWARE_INTERRUPT. I doubt this one is appearing, but will wait to see those photos you're planning on taking.
m
l
December 22, 2009 1:25:55 PM

The_Prophecy said:
0x07 is INVALID_SOFTWARE_INTERRUPT. I doubt this one is appearing, but will wait to see those photos you're planning on taking.

I wanted to say... that the error code ends with 07 + LETTER. I don't get 0x07, I get 0x000000007

Here is the photo.

Click to enlarge.
m
l
a c 215 $ Windows 7
December 22, 2009 1:30:26 PM

Yup... that's INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE. For lack of a better explanation at this point, start updating things like chipset drivers...

One thing I have been wondering, is why you need XP on either system in the first place... if you need to run a 16 bit app, or some other old program that doesn't work in 7 and isn't actively being developed, why not set up one instance of Windows 7, and run Windows XP mode inside of it?
m
l
December 22, 2009 1:35:37 PM

The_Prophecy said:
Yup... that's INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE. For lack of a better explanation at this point, start updating things like chipset drivers...

One thing I have been wondering, is why you need XP on either system in the first place... if you need to run a 16 bit app, or some other old program that doesn't work in 7 and isn't actively being developed, why not set up one instance of Windows 7, and run Windows XP mode inside of it?

Hello.

This error is happening only when I put the dual boot. (And sometimes, not always). Both system are clean installations, with good drivers. (Both systems works 100 % without dual boot).

I think that something is crashing my MBR or ... I don't know what !!!! Oh my god !!!! Why ? Why ? !!!

m
l
a c 215 $ Windows 7
December 22, 2009 1:44:32 PM

... And I'm asking why you need the dual boot anyway. First, it's obviously causing you significant issues. Second, dual booting 7 and XP is only really necessary in rare instances. As I already said, you can get away with running Windows XP Mode from within Windows 7.

It only takes 10 minutes to set up, and will probably save you a lot of headaches (the prospect of no more blue screens I would think might be very tempting). If you think the MBR is the root cause of the issue, try booting from the Windows 7 disk and enter the command line after getting into the integrated repair tools. Repair the MBR from there and see if it sorts the problem.

Failing that, if you are sure that the drivers are good, that the hard ward is good, then all I can really suggest is that you adjust how the operating systems (and partitions for that matter) are set up.
m
l
December 22, 2009 1:54:23 PM

Where I can read how to repair the MBR with the tool of the recovery CD ?

m
l
a c 215 $ Windows 7
December 22, 2009 2:19:34 PM

type fixmbr /? at the command line for a list of arguments. Descriptions of what each command does will be beside the command.
m
l
!