New Laptop / W2K

I need to get a notebook computer for my wife. She is very comfortable
with W2K (as am I) but all of the laptops seem to ship with XP. I have
never bought a name brand PC so I have always installed my own OS and
drivers. My question is, what kind of problems am I going to have
installing W2K on a laptop (an HP, Sony or ?) that already has XP
installed? Will I be able to "extract" the hardware drivers from the
bundled software that ships with the computer? Or would I be better
off to by a "non name brand" computer from an independent shop. These
computers seem to be more expensive than buying a "preconfigured" name
brand computer but it might be worth the extra dough if I can avoid a
lot of issues.
Thanx
DD
PS Sorry if this is a redundant question....I am new to this group.
"It's easy when you know how..."
Johnny Shines
28 answers Last reply
More about laptop

    Check with the manufacturer for drivers regarding the laptop you want
    to run Win 2k on. Alot of newer machines will not have drivers for
    this OS. (video and audio are the hard ones to get corretly installed
    with a non OEM os)

    ==============

    A little over a year ago I was in the market for a new laptop. BOTH
    Dell and IBM at that time would install Win2k (Professional Edition).
    However, I seem to recall that I may have had to stretch the truth just
    a tad and tell them that I was a "small business." --They never
    required verification on that.

    However, I did have to be quite persistent and almost "demand" that they
    give me Win2k. But the end result was that I won.

    Mahl

    David DeCristoforo <david@privacy.net> wrote:
    : I need to get a notebook computer for my wife. She is very comfortable
    : with W2K (as am I) but all of the laptops seem to ship with XP. I have
    : never bought a name brand PC so I have always installed my own OS and
    : drivers. My question is, what kind of problems am I going to have
    : installing W2K on a laptop (an HP, Sony or ?) that already has XP
    : installed? Will I be able to "extract" the hardware drivers from the
    : bundled software that ships with the computer? Or would I be better
    : off to by a "non name brand" computer from an independent shop. These
    : computers seem to be more expensive than buying a "preconfigured" name
    : brand computer but it might be worth the extra dough if I can avoid a
    : lot of issues.

    I'm not quite sure why you are going to all this trouble? XP is a
    very good OS, built on the same basic code stream as Windows NT and
    Windows 2000. It is a far cry from Windows 95/98/ME which was
    unstable and buggy.

    If you don't like the look of XP, you can change it to look like
    Windows 2000. Not sure why you and your wife would be uncomfortable
    with an XP machine after changing the look to the way you want it.

    If you need the "pro" features of Windows 2000, get XP Pro, which some
    laptops do come with. The average user doesn't need Pro, but some
    people do. After more than a year using my current laptop, I finally
    found a reason a few weeks ago where I would have liked XP Pro on my
    laptop insted of XP Home (trying to import a foreign disk in a USB
    enclosure that was dynamic).

    I think you will save yourself a lot of hassle (now and later) by not
    bothering to re-install Windows 2000 on a new laptop. XP actually has
    some cool features that 2000 doesn't have - like AutoPlay for USB
    devices. E.g. you plug your camera in and it pops up a window and
    helps you download the pics, etc. And future hardware and software
    you get for your laptop is much more likely to have good support for
    XP than for 2000.

    Andrew
    --
    ----> Portland, Oregon, USA <----

    >I'm not quite sure why you are going to all this trouble?

    Well, it's mostly because my wife is an idiot when it comes to
    computers (no offense,Hon) and I am her "tech support". She is very
    comfortable with W2K and the idea of changing even the desktop color
    sends the poor dear into a fit. So I am mostly concerned with having
    the new computer work EXACTLY like what she is used to. It's either
    that or spend half my life on the phone!

    > XP is avery good OS, built on the same basic code stream as Windows NT and
    >Windows 2000. It is a far cry from Windows 95/98/ME which was
    >unstable and buggy.

    I am with you here. This is why we use W2K

    >If you don't like the look of XP, you can change it to look like
    >Windows 2000. Not sure why you and your wife would be uncomfortable
    >with an XP machine after changing the look to the way you want it.

    This would be the big issue...can I make XP (pro) look and work
    EXACTLY like 2K? I have messed around with XP and, on the surface it
    looks like 2K with six or seven additional layers of crud between the
    user and the "meat" I have also boycotted XP in protest of the MS
    activation scheme but this would not be nearly as much of an issue on
    a laptop which would most likely never be altered.

    >I think you will save yourself a lot of hassle (now and later) by not
    >bothering to re-install Windows 2000 on a new laptop. XP actually has
    >some cool features that 2000 doesn't have - like AutoPlay for USB
    >devices. E.g. you plug your camera in and it pops up a window and
    >helps you download the pics, etc. And future hardware and software
    >you get for your laptop is much more likely to have good support for
    >XP than for 2000.

    Good points

    Thanx
    DD
    "It's easy when you know how..."
    Johnny Shines

    David DeCristoforo <david@privacy.net> wrote:
    : >I'm not quite sure why you are going to all this trouble?

    : Well, it's mostly because my wife is an idiot when it comes to
    : computers (no offense,Hon) and I am her "tech support". She is very
    : comfortable with W2K and the idea of changing even the desktop color
    : sends the poor dear into a fit. So I am mostly concerned with having
    : the new computer work EXACTLY like what she is used to. It's either
    : that or spend half my life on the phone!

    For what it's worth, I just did something similar by building a new
    computer for a relative. She lives long-distance and I shipped her a new
    computer with XP on it, replacing a dying Windows 98 computer. I
    spent time customizing the computer for her though the only thing I
    changed in XP's look was the Start menu - I changed it to the
    "classic" menu found on 98 (and 2000 basically).

    This relative is basically computer illiterate, too, so I was worried
    about that (asking her to cut-and-paste something is not all that
    clear to her!). So far, though, she has loved the new computer and had
    no real problems switching from 98 to XP. In fact, XP's handling of
    digital photos is far superior to any previous Windows OS. You plug
    in the camera and it automatically brings up a wizard to download
    them, email them, and even order prints. It's infinitely easier than
    in 2000 and 98.

    I think you'll be just fine with XP for your wife - trust me. Just
    spend some time customizing the look for her as I did and she'll be
    fine, and if she uses digital photography at all, she'll be much
    happier with it. Don't worry about the internal differences that
    she'll never even notice.

    : This would be the big issue...can I make XP (pro) look and work
    : EXACTLY like 2K? I have messed around with XP and, on the surface it
    : looks like 2K with six or seven additional layers of crud between the
    : user and the "meat" I have also boycotted XP in protest of the MS
    : activation scheme but this would not be nearly as much of an issue on
    : a laptop which would most likely never be altered.

    Plus, laptops with XP have the OS tied to the BIOS, I believe, so they
    don't have to be activated. Actually, I had the same beef with XP's
    activiation when I installed on that realtive's desktop recently, but
    honestly, activation was not as big a worry as everyone made it out to
    be. I think the bru-haha over activation was overblown.

    Andrew
    --
    ----> Portland, Oregon, USA <----

    >I think you'll be just fine with XP for your wife - trust me. Just
    >spend some time customizing the look for her as I did and she'll be
    >fine, and if she uses digital photography at all, she'll be much
    >happier with it. Don't worry about the internal differences that
    >she'll never even notice.
    >
    >: This would be the big issue...can I make XP (pro) look and work
    >: EXACTLY like 2K? I have messed around with XP and, on the surface it
    >: looks like 2K with six or seven additional layers of crud between the
    >: user and the "meat" I have also boycotted XP in protest of the MS
    >: activation scheme but this would not be nearly as much of an issue on
    >: a laptop which would most likely never be altered.

    OK...I'm convinced. Actually, this makes it a lot easier since I don't
    have to mess around with installing the OS.

    >Plus, laptops with XP have the OS tied to the BIOS, I believe, so they
    >don't have to be activated. Actually, I had the same beef with XP's
    >activiation when I installed on that realtive's desktop recently, but
    >honestly, activation was not as big a worry as everyone made it out to
    >be. I think the bru-haha over activation was overblown.

    You may be right here too. It's just that I have a real problem with
    the concept. I have always felt that software should be licensed to
    the user, not the machine. But, that's just my iconoclastic side. I
    have always had a problem with licensing agreements too. I mean, if
    you went to buy a car and you were told that you had to pay for the
    car before you could even read the contract and that the car could not
    be driven until the contract had been signed and that you could not
    read the contract until you opened the door but once you opened the
    door, you could not return the car....whew...Well I know it's not
    really the same but it's still pretty heavy handed.

    Anyway, thanks to all for the good advice.

    DD
    "It's easy when you know how..."
    Johnny Shines

    "David DeCristoforo" <david@privacy.net> wrote in message
    > >I think you'll be just fine with XP for your wife - trust me. Just
    > >spend some time customizing the look for her as I did and she'll be
    > >fine, and if she uses digital photography at all, she'll be much
    > >happier with it. Don't worry about the internal differences that
    > >she'll never even notice.
    > >
    > >: This would be the big issue...can I make XP (pro) look and work
    > >: EXACTLY like 2K? I have messed around with XP and, on the surface it
    > >: looks like 2K with six or seven additional layers of crud between the
    > >: user and the "meat" I have also boycotted XP in protest of the MS
    > >: activation scheme but this would not be nearly as much of an issue on
    > >: a laptop which would most likely never be altered.
    >
    > OK...I'm convinced. Actually, this makes it a lot easier since I don't
    > have to mess around with installing the OS.
    > >
    > >Plus, laptops with XP have the OS tied to the BIOS, I believe, so they
    > >don't have to be activated. Actually, I had the same beef with XP's
    > >activiation when I installed on that realtive's desktop recently, but
    > >honestly, activation was not as big a worry as everyone made it out to
    > >be. I think the bru-haha over activation was overblown.
    >
    > You may be right here too. It's just that I have a real problem with
    > the concept. I have always felt that software should be licensed to
    > the user, not the machine. But, that's just my iconoclastic side. I
    > have always had a problem with licensing agreements too. I mean, if
    > you went to buy a car and you were told that you had to pay for the
    > car before you could even read the contract and that the car could not
    > be driven until the contract had been signed and that you could not
    > read the contract until you opened the door but once you opened the
    > door, you could not return the car....whew...Well I know it's not
    > really the same but it's still pretty heavy handed.

    Well, the problem is, have you ever bought a car, brought it home and made
    10 copies of it?

    I know you know the issue, just could not pass it up. :-)

    On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 16:29:55 -0400, "John Poutre" <jfp14news@cox.net>
    wrote:

    >"David DeCristoforo" <david@privacy.net> wrote in message
    >Well, the problem is, have you ever bought a car, brought it home and made
    >10 copies of it?
    >
    >I know you know the issue, just could not pass it up. :-)

    Gotcha...but then how hard is it to copy protect a CRROM?

    DD

    "It's easy when you know how..."
    Johnny Shines

    You really don't want to do that. XP is a better OS than 2K, and the
    drivers necessary to install 2K on any given notebook might not exist
    (although the odds are that they do, but it may take some effort to find
    them).

    The user interface to XP can be made so similar to 2000 that you will
    have to go into control panel to find out which OS it is. Between
    tweakui (which you need to download -- the XP version, of course) and
    the setting built into XP, just install XP and configure it to look like
    2000.

    It's 4 years newer (with SP2), and it really is a better OS.

    [However, all of the OEM installations of any OS seem to always have
    tons and tons of junk software that in most cases is better removed.]

    David DeCristoforo wrote:
    > I need to get a notebook computer for my wife. She is very comfortable
    > with W2K (as am I) but all of the laptops seem to ship with XP. I have
    > never bought a name brand PC so I have always installed my own OS and
    > drivers. My question is, what kind of problems am I going to have
    > installing W2K on a laptop (an HP, Sony or ?) that already has XP
    > installed? Will I be able to "extract" the hardware drivers from the
    > bundled software that ships with the computer? Or would I be better
    > off to by a "non name brand" computer from an independent shop. These
    > computers seem to be more expensive than buying a "preconfigured" name
    > brand computer but it might be worth the extra dough if I can avoid a
    > lot of issues.
    > Thanx
    > DD
    > PS Sorry if this is a redundant question....I am new to this group.
    > "It's easy when you know how..."
    > Johnny Shines

    No, you may have gotten what you wanted -- e.g. 2000 instead of XP --,
    but the end result was that you lost. And the sad part is that since
    you have not used XP, you don't even know it.

    Mahlon Wagner wrote:

    > A little over a year ago I was in the market for a new laptop. BOTH
    > Dell and IBM at that time would install Win2k (Professional Edition).
    > However, I seem to recall that I may have had to stretch the truth just
    > a tad and tell them that I was a "small business." --They never
    > required verification on that.
    >
    > However, I did have to be quite persistent and almost "demand" that they
    > give me Win2k. But the end result was that I won.
    >
    > Mahl
    >
    > David DeCristoforo wrote:
    >
    >> I need to get a notebook computer for my wife. She is very comfortable
    >> with W2K (as am I) but all of the laptops seem to ship with XP. I have
    >> never bought a name brand PC so I have always installed my own OS and
    >> drivers. My question is, what kind of problems am I going to have
    >> installing W2K on a laptop (an HP, Sony or ?) that already has XP
    >> installed? Will I be able to "extract" the hardware drivers from the
    >> bundled software that ships with the computer? Or would I be better
    >> off to by a "non name brand" computer from an independent shop. These
    >> computers seem to be more expensive than buying a "preconfigured" name
    >> brand computer but it might be worth the extra dough if I can avoid a
    >> lot of issues.
    >> Thanx
    >> DD
    >> PS Sorry if this is a redundant question....I am new to this group.
    >> "It's easy when you know how..."
    >> Johnny Shines

    Really, David, XP is better than 2K in almost every way, and it's VERY
    highly configurable, although much of the configuration options are
    burried and many people don't know that they are there. You can make XP
    look and behave EXACTLY like 2000 if you want.

    [The biggest single thing that you can do is to right click on the start
    button, "Properties", select "Classic Start Menu", and customize it the
    way that you want (use the "customize" button -- you will see it). Then
    use Tweakui as well to set things the way that you want, be sure to
    select "classic search" for both Internet Explorer and Windows Explorer
    (2 different settings).]

    Barry Watzman <WatzmanNOSPAM@neo.rr.com> wrote:
    : No, you may have gotten what you wanted -- e.g. 2000 instead of XP --,
    : but the end result was that you lost. And the sad part is that since
    : you have not used XP, you don't even know it.

    If they were offering XP Home or Windows 2000, but not XP Pro, maybe
    he did get what he wanted. In some circumstances, I would make that
    choice, too.

    Andrew
    --
    ----> Portland, Oregon, USA <----

    >I need to get a notebook computer for my wife. She is very comfortable
    > with W2K (as am I) but all of the laptops seem to ship with XP. I have
    > never bought a name brand PC so I have always installed my own OS and
    > drivers. My question is, what kind of problems am I going to have
    > installing W2K on a laptop (an HP, Sony or ?) that already has XP
    > installed? Will I be able to "extract" the hardware drivers from the
    > bundled software that ships with the computer? Or would I be better
    > off to by a "non name brand" computer from an independent shop. These
    > computers seem to be more expensive than buying a "preconfigured" name
    > brand computer but it might be worth the extra dough if I can avoid a
    > lot of issues.
    > Thanx
    > DD
    > PS Sorry if this is a redundant question....I am new to this group.
    > "It's easy when you know how..."
    > Johnny Shines

    One of my friends had an Acer laptop and tried installing 2000 on it, Win
    2000 had most of the drivers, others like the chipset & video were generic,
    but the LAN drivers were more difficult, Acer didn't support 2000 at all;
    eventually he found the drivers after searching all over driver sites on the
    'net.

    If you can't get 2K on a laptop then settle for XP, it does the job very
    well, and on classic mode it's much the same as 2000, though not identical
    (more "features")

    David DeCristoforo <david@privacy.net> wrote:
    >I need to get a notebook computer for my wife. She is very comfortable
    >with W2K (as am I) but all of the laptops seem to ship with XP.

    If you goto the Dell WWWebsite and follow the "Small business" track
    you can configure many laptops with Win2K, my Latitude D600 came with
    2K and an upgrade certificate for XP.

    However, most of my clients have XP, and there are some significant
    improvements, so after tweaking a bit and getting used to the
    differences (some of which are just different for the sake of being
    different), I'm coming to "not hate" XP. The system restore points
    have saved my bacon more than once, and viewing photos as thumbnails
    in the OS is nice. Just a thought. Get Pro rather than Home,
    though...

    David DeCristoforo wrote:

    > I need to get a notebook computer for my wife. She is very comfortable
    > with W2K (as am I) but all of the laptops seem to ship with XP. I have
    > never bought a name brand PC so I have always installed my own OS and
    > drivers. My question is, what kind of problems am I going to have
    > installing W2K on a laptop (an HP, Sony or ?) that already has XP
    > installed?

    Well, it might happen that some devices won't work or work as expected. And
    while XP knows Speedstep for W2k You need an additional update...

    > Will I be able to "extract" the hardware drivers from the
    > bundled software that ships with the computer?

    No.

    > Or would I be better
    > off to by a "non name brand" computer from an independent shop. These
    > computers seem to be more expensive than buying a "preconfigured" name
    > brand computer but it might be worth the extra dough if I can avoid a
    > lot of issues.

    Honestly, I don't understand Your problem. Within XP You simply switch to
    the standard Windows layout, and You and Your wife won't see any difference.
    I see absolutely no reason to go back to an older operating system that has
    less good support than XP...

    Benjamin

    David DeCristoforo wrote:
    > You may be right here too. It's just that I have a real problem with
    > the concept. I have always felt that software should be licensed to
    > the user, not the machine.

    The licensing for both Windows 2000 and XP has always been the same: retail
    copies are licensed to the user; OEM copies are tied to the specific machine
    they were sold with.

    In fact, the BIOS locking that Andrew mentioned has been used with Windows
    2000 as well as XP. Depending on what notebook you get, it will probably use
    BIOS locking instead of product activation, so you can change the hardware
    all you like and it will never trigger activation.

    BTW, when you go tweaking XP, be sure to turn on ClearType in the Display
    control panel, Appearance tab, Effects button. Also take some time to get
    familiar with some of the other new features in XP, such as System Restore
    which can be a lifesaver.

    -Mike

    > On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 16:29:55 -0400, "John Poutre" <jfp14news@cox.net>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>"David DeCristoforo" <david@privacy.net> wrote in message
    >>Well, the problem is, have you ever bought a car, brought it home and made
    >>10 copies of it?
    >>
    >>I know you know the issue, just could not pass it up. :-)
    >
    > Gotcha...but then how hard is it to copy protect a CRROM?
    >
    > DD

    *Very*

    I haven't come across a single copy protected CD where the copy protection
    actually works!

    >*Very*
    >
    >I haven't come across a single copy protected CD where the copy protection
    >actually works!

    Well it's tough! I've never ripped off software and neither have most
    people who buy it. You could argue this forever, but I still think I
    ought to own what I buy...call me "old school", "unrealistic" or
    whatever......

    > >*Very*
    >>
    >>I haven't come across a single copy protected CD where the copy protection
    >>actually works!
    >>

    > Well it's tough! I've never ripped off software and neither have most
    > people who buy it. You could argue this forever, but I still think I
    > ought to own what I buy...call me "old school", "unrealistic" or
    > whatever......

    I agree that when you buy software you should be able to use it on what you
    want (as long as that doesn't mean installing it on loads of PCs at once..),
    however OEM copies are tied to the machine because they're bought at much
    lower costs than the retail editions (AFAIK anyway)

    Should you buy a retail edition of XP as opposed to OEM, I think you can
    transfer it from PC to PC with no problem.

    >Should you buy a retail edition of XP as opposed to OEM, I think you can
    >transfer it from PC to PC with no problem.

    NOT! Once you activate the OS, it is linked to a "fingerprint" of the
    computer on which it is installed. If it was as you say, there would
    be no issue. The whole point of activation is to prevent you from
    installing the OS on more than one machine.

    | >Should you buy a retail edition of XP as opposed to OEM, I think you can
    | >transfer it from PC to PC with no problem.
    |
    | NOT! Once you activate the OS, it is linked to a "fingerprint" of the
    | computer on which it is installed. If it was as you say, there would
    | be no issue. The whole point of activation is to prevent you from
    | installing the OS on more than one machine.
    |
    | DD
    | "It's easy when you know how..."
    | Johnny Shines

    Hi David -

    My retail copy of Windows XP Professional Upgrade Edition has happily
    resided on three different computers since acquiring it - albeit not at the
    same time. All three installations have been activated well within the
    graces of Microsoft's Activation policies.

    After 120 days Microsoft clears the activation database, making it possible
    to install and activate on another machine without difficulty -- it'll
    activate right over the web.

    Less than 120 days, you are provided a toll-free phone number to call and
    explain your circumstances. In my most recent case, I had purchased a
    notebook system with a 2.2 GHz P4M chip and was very unhappy about the
    battery life and the heat the system generated. After 60 days, I replaced
    the original XP Home installation on it and sold it on eBay.
    Simultaneously, I purchased a Centrino-based system and clean installed the
    same copy of XP Pro. I called Microsoft, explained the circumstances and
    exchanged a series of activation codes with the operator. Five minutes
    later the same copy of XP Pro was activated on the new machine.

    OEM Editions of XP are generally married to the hardware they are originally
    installed upon. Retail Editions may only be installed on one system at a
    time according to the End User License Agreement, but may be transferred at
    any time to a completely different system - provided they only exist on one
    system at any given time.

    Jef

    On 31 Aug 2004 in comp.sys.laptops, David DeCristoforo wrote:

    > Well, it's mostly because my wife is an idiot when it comes to
    > computers (no offense,Hon) and I am her "tech support". She is very
    > comfortable with W2K and the idea of changing even the desktop color
    > sends the poor dear into a fit. So I am mostly concerned with having
    > the new computer work EXACTLY like what she is used to. It's either
    > that or spend half my life on the phone!

    Have her take a look at the Macs. Nice user interface, easy to use...
    My wife is also not all that tech-oriented, and she likes the Mac. I'm
    contemplating getting an iBook for her.

    Drifting off-topic: I just looked into the apple online store - the iMac
    G5 is a great looking machine:

    http://www.apple.com/imac/

    --
    Joe Makowiec
    http://makowiec.org/

    >Have her take a look at the Macs.

    Well this would work OK for me...I work on Macs all day. But it kind
    of defeats the idea of my old lady not having to learn a new system
    which was my whole point in the first place.

    DD

    "It's easy when you know how..."
    Johnny Shines

    David,

    For retail copies, the MS database is erased after 120 days (4 months).
    The intent, for retail copies, is to keep you from installing on more
    than one machine AT ONE TIME. They do allow you to move it. If you
    move it to another machine less than 4 months after it's installation,
    you may have to call them and beg.

    For OEM copies, that is NOT their intent, but the actual implementation
    of the policy for OEM copies isn't clear. The situation for OEM copies
    is kind of a mess, since there is no definition of what constitutes "the
    computer". It also not clear if the database is cleared after 120 days
    for OEM copies or not.

    David DeCristoforo wrote:
    >>Should you buy a retail edition of XP as opposed to OEM, I think you can
    >>transfer it from PC to PC with no problem.
    >

    > NOT! Once you activate the OS, it is linked to a "fingerprint" of the
    > computer on which it is installed. If it was as you say, there would
    > be no issue. The whole point of activation is to prevent you from
    > installing the OS on more than one machine.
    >
    > DD
    > "It's easy when you know how..."
    > Johnny Shines

    you can tweak XP in 3 places to make it LOOK almost exactly like W2K. you
    might be able to do that and her not notice.

    <William P.N. Smith> wrote in message
    > David DeCristoforo <david@privacy.net> wrote:
    > >I need to get a notebook computer for my wife. She is very comfortable
    > >with W2K (as am I) but all of the laptops seem to ship with XP.
    >
    > If you goto the Dell WWWebsite and follow the "Small business" track
    > you can configure many laptops with Win2K, my Latitude D600 came with
    > 2K and an upgrade certificate for XP.
    >
    > However, most of my clients have XP, and there are some significant
    > improvements, so after tweaking a bit and getting used to the
    > differences (some of which are just different for the sake of being
    > different), I'm coming to "not hate" XP. The system restore points
    > have saved my bacon more than once, and viewing photos as thumbnails
    > in the OS is nice. Just a thought. Get Pro rather than Home,
    > though...

    On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 15:23:40 -0400, Barry Watzman wrote
    (in article <4134D0A8.8070107@neo.rr.com>):

    > Subject: Re: New Laptop / W2K
    > From: Barry Watzman <WatzmanNOSPAM@neo.rr.com>
    > Date: Yesterday 3:23 PM
    > Newsgroups: comp.sys.laptops
    >
    > No, you may have gotten what you wanted -- e.g. 2000 instead of XP --,
    > but the end result was that you lost. And the sad part is that since
    > you have not used XP, you don't even know it.

    I love how some folks get upset when someone else has the audacity to want
    something different than they think best.

    <sigh>

    Hello David,

    I am actually go through the process at the moment with an IBM thinkpad. IBM
    has made it quite easy.
    First thing to do is create the recovery CDs(about 6 or 7 CDs worth)

    1. install Windows 2k without reformatting
    2. use the sw_installer program the comes with the laptop. You can also
    download it from the IBM website
    This program searches two locations on the drive(drivers, and
    IBMtools) for drivers and utilities to install

    and that seems to be about it.

    If you decide that you want to reformat the drive, then make a copy of the
    drivers and IBMtools directory onto a CD and use this.

    cheers

    rob

    "David DeCristoforo" <david@privacy.net> wrote in message
    > I need to get a notebook computer for my wife. She is very comfortable
    > with W2K (as am I) but all of the laptops seem to ship with XP. I have
    > never bought a name brand PC so I have always installed my own OS and
    > drivers. My question is, what kind of problems am I going to have
    > installing W2K on a laptop (an HP, Sony or ?) that already has XP
    > installed? Will I be able to "extract" the hardware drivers from the
    > bundled software that ships with the computer? Or would I be better
    > off to by a "non name brand" computer from an independent shop. These
    > computers seem to be more expensive than buying a "preconfigured" name
    > brand computer but it might be worth the extra dough if I can avoid a
    > lot of issues.
    > Thanx
    > DD
    > PS Sorry if this is a redundant question....I am new to this group.
    > "It's easy when you know how..."
    > Johnny Shines

    Tweak Ui is a Strong Tool to Change XP Settings like XSpy or
    Antispy.Do not Download the XP-Antispy Software from the Sides,It
    Contains Dialers and Trojans.The Domain ist Selled by a Dialer
    Company.

Laptops Computer