1333Mhz ram vs 1066MHz ram paired with i3 330m

kochiB

Distinguished
May 26, 2010
my question is whether it is logical to pay more for the more speedy 1333 mhz ram than for the 1066mhz ddr3 . the i3 330m processor as per intel site doesnt not support 1333mhz .
the doubt comes from the place that i am confused which one to chose between the dell inspiron 15 and 15R series .
yes there are other differences which i will consider next.

also is it possible to replace the graphics card they are offering as per the website with a card of my choice , i mean does dell allow that ??

plasmastorm

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2008
Simple answer, Don't buy a dell. They are teh Ikea of the computer world.
Cheaply made, Cheaply built and poor quality.

you wont be upgrading the vga card in it cause you simply wont get a PSU powerful enough to handle better cards since that would cost dell money and it will not have a 4/6pin PCI-e connector.
Also you will most likely find that a dell PC case is physically too small to supprt the larger VGA cards out there.

So once again, simple answer, dont buy dell......

ksampanna

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2010
The danger of buying any pre-built OEM pc is the lack of upgrade options. Sure, they'll let you put additional HDDs & a bit more RAM, but in case of graphic cards & the like, it'll prove a headache. As already stated, if it is feasible for you to build your own pc, then definitely do so. You'l have plenty of upgrade options.

I just got the biostar TH55B HD board with i3 530 retail box cpu for $99.99 after rebate at frys in stores only. I highly recommend it. The board is free after rebate. It has 4 ram slots, dual video capable, and an hdmi port. Biostar even responded to my email tech question and I got my keyboard to start up the system from hybernate mode. Windows 7 found all the device drivers.

kochiB

Distinguished
May 26, 2010
thanks for ur inputs but guys , its not a desktop . am looking for a notebook , who would buy a branded one if it were a desktop ...
dell 15 and 15R are notebook series

Well im not sure why they thought Desktop when the cpu with "m" at the end of it meant mobile.

http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=47663

Anyways, for your questions,

o1die statement about the ram speed is still valid. There little noticeable difference between the 2.

the doubt comes from the place that i am confused which one to chose between the dell inspiron 15 and 15R series .

Can you lead me to this Inspiron 15r laptop? I found the inspiron 15 although I cant seem to find the 15r on dell website.

http://www.dell.com/us/en/home/notebooks/inspiron-1564/pd.aspx?refid=inspiron-1564&s=dhs&cs=19&~oid=us~en~29~laptop-inspiron-15_new_cto_3~~

also is it possible to replace the graphics card they are offering as per the website with a card of my choice , i mean does dell allow that ??

Well what are you meaning by this, Can you replace the graphic card down the road or choosing a gpu for a laptop before buying?

If it's the choosing gpus before buying, Well on some models of laptops they can, some others not, although if you do have an option of graphics cards, you normally limited by 3 choices and sometimes less.

In your case, You have 2 choices with the Inspiron 15.

For grapics, you can stick with the default ATI HD Mobile 4300 or for $270 more can get an Ati HD Mobile 5450 (that $270 also includes a faster core i5 520M but a smaller 320GB HD than the normall 500GB)

http://www.dell.com/content/topics/topic.aspx/global/products/ltd/en/us/dhs/inspiron_15_dndov31?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs

If you were meaning swaping card down the road, Well i dont think dell likes/supports that. There more of the fan of if you want to upgrade, you need to buy a whole new system than upgrading parts.

Although the question i should of ask at the beginning of this comment, What will you be using this laptop for and whats your budget?

If you tell us though 2 things we might be able to find you a better laptop for a better price than what your looking into currently.

Hope the info so far helped. :hello:

kochiB

Distinguished
May 26, 2010
hi warmon6 , thanks for ur reply as u seem to have worked quite hard for my question.

i would like to play few old games and also the ones that are going to come out in about 1.5 yrs or so .. coz i don't expect games to run on a mobile platform for older than that smoothly .

am from india and the dell laptops are in the dell india website ..
i used to play games 6 yrs back on my HP Pavilion and i upgraded that.
its current config is
p4 2.8 ghz HT
768 MB @400 mhz
nvidia geforce fx 5200 256mb

so u can understand i haven't played recent games for quite a few years now .. and am not free either to play games hard like i used to before .

i need a laptop which will help me play prince of persia - the one thats releasing soon as i am a POP fan ... and also some of the games that will be in the market in a years time ..
other than that only movies and net will suffice my purpose .. no heavy work either .

i knw that ATI HD 5470 512MB is not a good card but won't want a card which won't be able to run games about to release soon.

my budget is also tight around India Rupees 38K which is around $800 at current rates

too much am expecting in my budget , ain't I ??

thanks in adv :)

In more ways than one, i can totally understand you haven't been playing resent games. :lol:

My system specs:

2.8 ghz intel P4 Hyper-threaded cpu

Gigabyte -8IPE1000 Pro2 motherboard

2.5GB of ddr1 ram @266MHz

EVGA 256MB Geforeforce 6200 ddr2 AGP Video

160 GB sata WD drive, 80 GB IDE Seagate drive

Anyways,

i need a laptop which will help me play prince of persia - the one thats releasing soon as i am a POP fan ... and also some of the games that will be in the market in a years time ..
other than that only movies and net will suffice my purpose .. no heavy work either .

i knw that ATI HD 5470 512MB is not a good card but won't want a card which won't be able to run games about to release soon.

my budget is also tight around India Rupees 38K which is around $800 at current rates

too much am expecting in my budget , ain't I ??

thanks in adv :)

Well, it is a tight squeez with the budget but it's doable.

http://configure.ap.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?oc=t540506in8&c=in&l=en&s=dhs&cs=indhs1 Rs.36,900.00

surprisingly on dell's India web site , you have a little more better customizations options than us web site.

Have to sacrifice some video ram but it put it in your budget.

TRENDING THREADS