Solved

Help me to OC highly OCable RAM

To start off I have a 3570k OCed to 4.7Ghz with a Gigabyte UD3H MoBo. I just bought 16Gb of DDR3 Corsair Dominator Platinum, Dual Channel, 1866Mhz RAM. Which is some pretty awesome RAM. It's designed especially for overclocking, which is why I got it. And I'm hoping (since corsair says the IC's are "hand picked") to get at least 2133mhz out of it.

So how do I overclock this highly overclockable RAM? I know in my BIOS it has an option to change my RAM from say, 1866mhz, to say, 2133mhz. You'd obviously have to type in 2133 then it'll run at 2133? To me it seems too simple. So I figured I'd ask you guys. This is the only option I see available. I'm fairly knowledgeable about overclocking but I have never researched how to overclock RAM until today. And all I keep seeing is to up the BCLK. But on a 3570k that is not an option right? So what should I do? Just type in 2133 and it'll be overclocked? Please explain. I'm no idiot when it comes to stuff like this so I don't need a guide, but any and all information will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
16 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about help highly ocable
  1. if you have the option type it in to 2133 and make sure you have the correct voltage.
  2. Yeah you will have to adjust the voltage .

    you may have to alter the timings as well. your cas's and ras's and what have you! you are gonna want to research what those sticks are defaulted at, and capable of going to.
  3. Yeah, this is 200$ RAM. The best overclocking RAM Corsair has to offer so I'm sure since they are defaulted at 1866 they can go up to 2133. If they can't then IDK why they even list this RAM as "highly overclockable w/hand selected IC's". I figured there would be more info you guys could give me not just a one liner. Come on people you can do better than that. First guy that makes some sense gets my best answer! If that's even sought after.
  4. ok you want a better reply, give me some better info!

    1. what are your default\current timings on the ram?

    2. what is your default\current voltage on the ram?

    you can increase from 1866 to 2133, but you are going to have to adjust the timings and voltage. if you increase the speed, but have to loosen the timings(raise the number), there's not much of a gain. you need to increase (lower the number) timings while increasing the speed. or there is really no point.

    most ram has a max voltage. i hear 1.5v to be safe, but not uncommon to see up to 1.6v. as these sticks are "highly overclockable w/hand selected IC's" you should look to see what the max rated voltage is.

    good luck!
  5. Best answer
    ericjohn004 said:
    Yeah, this is 200$ RAM. The best overclocking RAM Corsair has to offer so I'm sure since they are defaulted at 1866 they can go up to 2133. If they can't then IDK why they even list this RAM as "highly overclockable w/hand selected IC's". I figured there would be more info you guys could give me not just a one liner. Come on people you can do better than that. First guy that makes some sense gets my best answer! If that's even sought after.


    Understand that RAM is pretty sensitive and even if they're hand-selected, the DIMMs are rated for 1866.
    They may or may not be able to reach 2133, and even if they are, only some of the DIMMs may be able to do so.
    OCing RAM is much more difficult than OCing a CPU.

    The best way to test these is to test one DIMM at a time, raising the RAM speed and loosen the timings a bit until you get to where you're happy and the system can boot.

    To raise the DIMM speed, you can either change the memory frequency (best way), or raise your BCLK.
    If you raise your base clock, be very careful as you're increasing the speed of everything on the system and anything more than very minor adjustments can cause instability.

    I'm curious as to why you would pay 200$ for that ram though.
    Ripjaws are some of the best RAM available, and their 16gb 2133 kit is only 100$.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231501
  6. Yeah you wasted about $130 on that $200 "overclockable RAM". Any research at all would have showed you that the integrated memory controller on the CPU gives you a huge performance boost of about 1% running anything faster than DDR3 1866 on an Ivy Bridge chip and that is only in certain apps. In gaming the difference is exactly 0. You are also very likely to make your CPU overclock unstable by trying to overclock both the CPU clock and IMC. Also any RAM over 1.5v voids the CPU warranty.

    The only thing that justifies high speed RAM with an Intel build is if you do professional video editing and encoding. That will show a small ~1-2% boost that will pay for it's self over time. Since you have an i5 I doubt that is the case.

    And last you got ripped off by marketing hype. You basically bought old Corsair stock marketed as "overclocking RAM" when in fact you could have bought native DDR3 2133 for $100 or less as the above poster pointed out.

    Only AMD's APUs need the fastest, lowest latency RAM you can afford. The graphics benefit fom it.
  7. Sell the ram . Buy transcend axe ram 2400mhz 4gb ($53) @ transcend.com .My recamend is fill all slots dont see capacity. see mhz in board and ram.Reason mhz is the key to achive speed. if board support 1600mhz u insert 1333mhz its waste because not get full speed of ram slot. if board support 1333mhz u insert 1600mhz its also waste of money (1333mhz ram is cheaper than 1600mhz)also u not utilise full speed of ram. (2x4Gb=8Gb 1600mhz=3200mhz =3.2ghz) vs (2x8Gb=16Gb 1333mhz=2666mhz=2.6ghz).
    you tube video help u in oc (search mobo)
  8. hytecgowthaman said:
    Sell the ram . Buy transcend axe ram 2400mhz 4gb ($53) @ transcend.com .My recamend is fill all slots dont see capacity. see mhz in board and ram.Reason mhz is the key to achive speed. if board support 1600mhz u insert 1333mhz its waste because not get full speed of ram slot. if board support 1333mhz u insert 1600mhz its also waste of money (1333mhz ram is cheaper than 1600mhz)also u not utilise full speed of ram. (2x4Gb=8Gb 1600mhz=3200mhz =3.2ghz) vs (2x8Gb=16Gb 1333mhz=2666mhz=2.6ghz).
    you tube video help u in oc (search mobo)

    What. [:lutfij:2]
  9. amuffin said:
    What. [:lutfij:2]



    He thinks Transcend RAM is the only RAM on earth. Also in about 99% of his posts he just makes crap up. I really thought he got banned last year for posting incorrect information. I think it's the same guy with a slightly different SN. I know about half of it is his bad English but the other half is computer ignorance. I mean Henydiah barely speaks English but he actually understands computers so it evens out.
  10. anort3 said:
    He thinks Transcend RAM is the only RAM on earth. Also in about 99% of his posts he just makes crap up. I really thought he got banned last year for posting incorrect information. I think it's the same guy with a slightly different SN. I know about half of it is his bad English but the other half is computer ignorance. I mean Henydiah barely speaks English but he actually understands computers so it evens out.

    Yeah, we also got guys like diablo2/34life...

    What a fun day.
  11. I missed out on that one. :pt1cable:
  12. Well I did actually do a lot of research on this specific RAM. And every site I have ever read(and that's PLENTLY of them) has said that this specific RAM (Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866mhz) performs great and looks the absolute best and is high quality. I, personally want the best quality parts because my PC is of the best quality parts. And why should I get some 100$ RAM just cause there cheap when I don't feel they compliment my system the way these dominator platinums do. I wanted some expensive RAM to last me for a couple years that I could be proud of, so that's what I got. If you want to be cheap, that's fine, but it's just not my taste.

    Thanks for the intel arami sathei. I appreciate you.

    BTW my question was not at all about the quality of the RAM. It was specifically about how to overclock it. So all the other comments are irrelevant, to say the least.
  13. Best answer selected by ericjohn004.
  14. anort 3... your calling the best memory Corsair has to offer "old corsair RAM marketed as overclockable". I don't think you know at all what you are talking about. This RAM is hardly "old". Wake up and do some research and you might be able to figure things out.
  15. You keep on believing buddy. People like you are exactly why companies spend so much money on advertising. I'm sure one day a nice bridge wil show up for sale in Arizona. You should invest in that one too!

    Pro tip: RAM that runs at DDR3 2133 out of the box can overclock too...........so can DDR3 2400 and so can DDR3 2800. So how exactly does that make DDR3 1866 "the best"? And of course as I explained do some research on the IMC of Ivy Bidge CPUs and how performance increases about 1% from going faster than DDR3 1600. Not my fault you have a small epeen complex and no sense. Hurr expensive good, people say different wrong.
  16. i thoroughly enjoyed reading this post from top to bottom lmao.... kudos to everyone who starred in it
Ask a new question

Read More

Memory Overclocking Corsair Dominator RAM Product