Sign in with
Your question

Need some help with picking my fans

Last response: in Overclocking
January 21, 2013 8:11:01 PM

Okay so I am in the process of building a computer case, and I currently have the skeleton made. I am going to be using 4 Alphacool NexXxoS ST30 Full Copper 360mm radiators on it, yes, 4. This case is going to be very different from just about anything I have ever seen and am very excited to keep working on it. However, I am at a loss on the fans I should use. According to a benchmarking test that I saw on these rads, they actually work very well in the 800-1200 RPM range. That being said, fans are definitely an area I am lacking in knowledge. I am looking for as silent as possible and will only be using a push setup on two of the rads and push pull on the other two.

So, any suggestions on what fans to use? Anything would be helpful because as I said, I really know very little in this regard.

Thanks!

More about : picking fans

a c 324 K Overclocking
January 21, 2013 8:13:51 PM

Quote:
I am going to be using 4 Alphacool NexXxoS ST30 Full Copper 360mm radiators on it, yes, 4

Why? Or is this a 'just because you can' type of thing? Just curious. With that much rad space, you could really pick any low speed fan you want as long as it falls within the characteristics you want.
January 21, 2013 10:04:46 PM

Quote:
Why? Or is this a 'just because you can' type of thing? Just curious. With that much rad space, you could really pick any low speed fan you want as long as it falls within the characteristics you want

Haha why ruin the fun? ;)  I'll be posting a log this summer on it. But that's the thing, I really don't know at all. I want them to have red LEDs and i was considering the Coolermaster Sickle Flow 120s because i have used them before and they were quiet at full speed, are these a solid choice with a fan controller and dropping speed a little? Sorry if i sound naive but I honestly am in this regard...
Related resources
January 21, 2013 10:52:48 PM

Wow that's a very useful chart! They don't look very good at all haha. Hmm...I suppose at the worst I could add my own LEDs...how are the APs and the other top five fans on that list in regards to noise? Or at 800-1200 RPM will that really matter?
January 21, 2013 11:20:31 PM

Well that list may have just answered all of my questions. Thank you very much! Do you have a link to a review such as that one that shows cooling at various rpms? Would be much appreciated!
a c 176 K Overclocking
January 21, 2013 11:45:02 PM

For that I think you will have to look up reviews on the individual radiator, not the fans.
January 22, 2013 12:43:40 AM

Quote:
For that I think you will have to look up reviews on the individual radiator, not the fans.

I suppose you're right, probably a better idea. Thanks again for all of your help!

Quote:
This product comes in Red Led version and is very quiet.
http://www.tech-kings.net/home/ind [...] &showall=1
I run 3 on my 360 rad

Wow, I really like those, I will be looking into them further. Thank you as well!
a c 324 K Overclocking
January 22, 2013 2:34:13 AM

So this thread is about fans and not necessarily why you are spending $350 on radiators alone?

I guess I don't follow the logic for this build.
January 22, 2013 3:23:51 AM

Well considering the title of the thread was "Need some help with picking my fans," yes, the thread is about fans...
a c 324 K Overclocking
January 22, 2013 3:27:26 AM

Yes, but I've been asking why the 4x 360 rads in use...what are you cooling and why are you going that route?
January 22, 2013 3:47:18 AM

Without showing you the design of the case, it wouldn't make much sense. Also, like you said, because I can really. Not to mention the quad 670s.
a c 324 K Overclocking
January 22, 2013 4:02:47 AM

670's don't pump out that much heat...they are fairly decent TDP cards, but I get the overkill idea. I was just trying to figure out the direction you were going in with the build.
January 22, 2013 1:05:55 PM

Yeah they actually do a pretty solid job, mine are the FTW Editions so they are on the 680 layout. I am just a large proprietor of overkill, and I have the ability to do it. I have the skills and tools required to fabricate any custom case designs I want and decided it was time for a long term project :) 
!