Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Can I have more than needed power supply.

Last response: in Components
May 26, 2010 12:05:35 PM

Hello everyone.

I almost need a corsair hx520 watt power supply but i am planning to buy a corsiar vx600 watt supply, because i have to replace my psu if i upgrade to a high end graphics card.
some questions

1.Is it safe to have more than needed psu.

2.Is hx series a good psu than the vx series.

thats all my questions.

thanks in advance

More about : needed power supply

Best solution

a b ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
May 26, 2010 1:23:43 PM

1. You can have as big a PSU as you want If you wanted to put a 1500 watt unit in there because you think you might need all that power one day it will be fine.

2.As for the different corsair makes hx,vx it dont matter because corsair is a solid PSU no matter which model you get one just comes with a few more bells and whistles. I would defintely get an hx though because its modular and it makes cable management a breeze if thats not something you really care about then get a vx model.
a b ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
May 26, 2010 1:25:54 PM

1. Yes. A computer will only draw as much power as it needs at any given time.
2. I've not heard anything bad about them.
m
l
Related resources
May 27, 2010 1:22:49 AM

Yes, we can (you can :p ).. Moreover, you should buy bigger, as it's needed (fo future upgrades).
m
l
a b ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
May 27, 2010 1:43:57 AM

When choosing your psu keep in mind all power using equipment. this includes fans, cold cathodes, front bay devices, etc. If your calculations did not include them then you might want to bump your figures up a tad higher.

Buying a larger power suppy will not hurt your pc or electricity bill. I am going to buy a 850-1000w to sli-proof my new build when i'm rated at around 520w with only a single gtx470. Future proofing is a good idea1

I cannot recall hearing anything bad about either psu. Check the reviews on newegg and other sites to help give you a better feel about it. Modular is always a plus as the cables can be rather hard to hide & organize.

Good Luck!
m
l
May 27, 2010 1:45:03 PM

ssddx said:
When choosing your psu keep in mind all power using equipment. this includes fans, cold cathodes, front bay devices, etc. If your calculations did not include them then you might want to bump your figures up a tad higher.

Buying a larger power suppy will not hurt your pc or electricity bill. I am going to buy a 850-1000w to sli-proof my new build when i'm rated at around 520w with only a single gtx470. Future proofing is a good idea1

I cannot recall hearing anything bad about either psu. Check the reviews on newegg and other sites to help give you a better feel about it. Modular is always a plus as the cables can be rather hard to hide & organize.

Good Luck!

Thank you very much,

if i install a lower psu(because of budget problem) and add another electrical devices how do i know the power supply is insufficient. DO the system shuts down?
m
l
a b ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
May 27, 2010 2:36:25 PM

ruffandruff said:
Thank you very much,

if i install a lower psu(because of budget problem) and add another electrical devices how do i know the power supply is insufficient. DO the system shuts down?

If you have a cheap PSU and its underpowered for your rig it could blow up and take your whole computer out with it. If you get a quality unit from Antec, Corsair, Seasonic the unit will most likely just shut down when it cant power your system.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
May 27, 2010 3:03:53 PM

ruffandruff said:
Thank you very much,

This is what happens:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JP8nFQYQW34

m
l
May 27, 2010 4:25:24 PM

saaiello said:
If you have a cheap PSU and its underpowered for your rig it could blow up and take your whole computer out with it. If you get a quality unit from Antec, Corsair, Seasonic the unit will most likely just shut down when it cant power your system.

just shut down the computer or the power supply. sorry for asking stupid questions i just want gain knowledge.

thanks
m
l
May 27, 2010 4:32:13 PM

saaiello said:
1. You can have as big a PSU as you want If you wanted to put a 1500 watt unit in there because you think you might need all that power one day it will be fine.

2.As for the different corsair makes hx,vx it dont matter because corsair is a solid PSU no matter which model you get one just comes with a few more bells and whistles. I would defintely get an hx though because its modular and it makes cable management a breeze if thats not something you really care about then get a vx model.

do the hx and vx from corsiar differ in performence, i mean quality.

and also which psu you would recommend from corsiar, antec etc

and also u r excellent in responding. i really apreciate it. going to select u as best answer
m
l
July 26, 2010 12:51:44 PM

Best answer selected by ruffandruff.
m
l
!