Sign in with
Your question

Why do I have to reset my wireless router every day?

Last response: in Wireless Networking
April 20, 2010 3:28:47 PM

This thread might differ from other in that I'm not looking to solve the problem (I pretty much gave-up :p ), but being an inquisitive mind, I want to understand WHAT is actually happening to cause that issue. I noticed many people seems to experience this kind of problem and part of me want to know why this is happening.

First thing first, I have a D-Link WBR-2310 Revision A with the latest non-beta firmware (1.05 dated 2008-09-10) with WPA2 security enabled. What is happening is that every day I would have to reset my router (unplug and replug, easier than reaching for the reset button) or all my wireless devices (GF's laptop, Wii and PS3), wouldn't have wireless access. The part I find strange is that none of the devices seems to think they are disconnected, it's just that none of the devices can connect to the internet, DLNA server or any other device on my network.

I know a decent share about wired networking (would need refreshing, but still), but not as much as I would like with wireless. I know the innards of Ethernet, IP (TCP/UDP), DHCP and all sorts of technical crap so don't spare me on any details you might have, worst case scenario I will have to google it up and learn something ... :p 

If you have any tests I could run to have a better idea of what is happening, it would also be great (ex: using wireshark).
Anonymous
July 11, 2010 9:47:06 PM

if u have all of those things all on one internet connection of course it is going to mess up all the devises are taking data from the same wireless connection my advise is to disconnect some of the devises that you are not using and when u want to connect them when you want to use them
July 11, 2010 10:23:18 PM

The thing is that I shut down all those devices when not in use and I can even reboot them without solving the problem; the router itself has to be rebooted. Moreover, I would find ridiculous if a router wouldn't be able to support 3 wireless devices especially when 2 out of the 3 do very little traffic.
Related resources
December 10, 2010 10:05:19 PM

I have that exact same router and I'm having the exact same problem. I wake up in the morning and I can get online, but when I get home from work the internet doesn't work but I'm connected to the network. It's so weird. I don't think I'm overloading the router or anything because They are off during the day while I'm out and I had all the same devices connected to another router before this one and didn't have trouble.

How common is overloading a router? Can you supply some links for more on this issue?
December 10, 2010 10:36:42 PM

I pretty much gave-up, I guess the problem might be the router dying, I ended-up buying a Wireless N router with gigabit ports; all my problems went away.

However, I'm still curious on what was happening, it's like the wireless AP in the router got disconnected from the router itself; wireless devices think they are still connected because the antennae is still working, but they are disconnected from everything else.
Anonymous
December 16, 2010 2:20:21 AM

same problem with Dlink dir655 wireless router. our laptops think they are connected, with 'excellent' signal strength, but no internet access (i assume wireless access to printer drops off too). happens seemingly randomly - sometimes in the middle of a session. reset the router and good to go. happens daily. getting annoying.
December 16, 2010 3:27:46 AM

Maybe the lease time was set too short and didn't renew after expiring.
December 16, 2010 12:15:17 PM

Even forcing DHCP renew with ipconfig doesn't solve the problem. However I can't remember if I was getting a new IP or if the renew just failed.
December 16, 2010 12:21:03 PM

How warm is the router? I've heard of problems with router radios overheating and dropping packets or IPs.

Do the machines maintain IP addresses with no connectivity? Or do they lose IPs altogether?
December 16, 2010 4:10:41 PM

Zenthar said:
Even forcing DHCP renew with ipconfig doesn't solve the problem. However I can't remember if I was getting a new IP or if the renew just failed.

I don't want to labor this thing to death, so I'll be brief.

I have a D-Link DIR-451 I use for portable use. It was doing what your router is doing until I changed it's lease time from 300 to 99999 minutes. Never a problem again.

Found in the Setup/Network Settings/DHCP server settings.
January 4, 2011 12:02:15 PM

My WBR-2310 was running 1.02 for two years without major issues, though it was a little slow. I decided to upgrade to the latest f/w to see if the performance would improve. After doing this, the router's wireless would lock up every 2 to 3 days, requiring a power cycle to fix it. After a couple weeks of this, I went back to 1.04. Now my WBR-2310 is stable. Avoid 1.05 - go back to 1.04 which is still available on the D-Link website.
March 5, 2012 12:46:02 PM

I had the problem with having to cycle my power after adding a wireless router to the system. I noticed my printer would periodically go offline, then come back online to the network. I turned the power to my printer off, and the problem has subsided. I just turn the printer on when I need to use it, and the network is stable. If I leave it on, it kills my internet. Weird.
March 29, 2012 10:36:06 PM

tigsounds said:
I don't want to labor this thing to death, so I'll be brief.

I have a D-Link DIR-451 I use for portable use. It was doing what your router is doing until I changed it's lease time from 300 to 99999 minutes. Never a problem again.

Found in the Setup/Network Settings/DHCP server settings.

I've also heard this is the best way to fix this problem... but I can't find anything that says DHCP server settings or lease time... I have an Atheros AR9285 802.11b/g/n WiFi Adapter
December 8, 2012 6:11:12 PM

I have a Linksys WRK54G. It is about 7 years old. It started dropping connetions 2 years ago, and I have had to reset it (unplug from power, wait 15 seconds, and plug it back in) two or more times per day, because it kept dropping connections.

I finally tried setting it from "mixed" to G-only (I have no 802.11a or 802.11b devices). That seems to have helped, a LOT. I still need to reset it, but only about once a week now, instead of 2 or 3 times per day.
December 26, 2012 4:47:48 PM

Check out NetReset1. website is www.netreset1.com. I can not explain why this happens but I had to power cycle my modem and router daily or my Internet would not work. I purcahsed NetReset1 and it power cycles the equipment daily for me. I have not manually power cycled my router or modem in over 6 months. Very good buy.
August 26, 2013 12:51:09 PM

it does that cuz its made in China
September 9, 2013 4:14:45 PM

I dont have the same router. The problem seems to be because the computer software (Windows) affects the way it should direct itself to the Wi-Fi network connection; which is unable to tell the router to `look left and right`. e.g. It is unable to tell the router to head to the Outside internet or the internal HOME Network.
I have windows 8 on four computers. Two are off most of the time. The network printer is wireless.
I use a buffallo hi-spec router. The router is not the problem. The problem is Windows (8).
My laptop is an i7 3D dynabook and I have to
September 9, 2013 4:16:21 PM

CONTINUED..........
My laptop is an i7 3D dynabook and I have to "Diagnose" network not working every time I try to print or use the internet when I start the laptop up.
The same goes for the Hand-built i7 Z87 Sabertooth Desktop running W8.

My solution is to suggest that a Microsoft executive shoud kidnap himself and hang himself off ropes over a small fire and stay there until he thinks up a fix; even if that means sharing some additional info with the router and Wi-fi manufactureres.
January 29, 2014 11:07:10 PM

I have a Xfinity cisco modem/ router and it does the same thing too..

my bet is that they have this set into it so you can't use it for hosting service instead of paying for a lot of hardware you don't need they just make it so you need to reset every so many hours or so, they are also keeping track of your usage, and can now control how much bandwidth you get from some sites.
!