how to reinstall audio codecs in xp?

November 30, 2004 2:51:51 PM

i uninstalled all but one of the audio codecs in windows xp (is why
really important?) as there was one it would not let me uninstall.

i cannot figure out how to reinstall them.

one posting said: control panel, add hardware, select "yes i've
already connected the hardware", and select audio codecs. however,
when i do this, it says "device is working fine" and only gives option
to start troubleshooter which is unfruitful.

i have downloaded and installed the available codec packs from
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/format/co...
but only one new codec shows up in the codecs window (sound and audio,
hardware, audio codecs, properties, properties) while there were about
8 or so to begin with.

(the reason i want to reinstall is to get a video to play in
wmplayer2.exe v6.4 with the voxware codec. it will play in
wmplayer2.exe v10 but i need it to play in 6.4. i get "operation
failed due to certification failure error=80040295" for which i can
only find, in essence: "you're screwed". i'm hoping that reinstalling
the old codecs will fix the problem as it did work before.)

there are other reasons i'd like to reinstall the base set of audio codecs as well.

thanks for any help.

More about : reinstall audio codecs

Anonymous
November 30, 2004 4:49:59 PM

How to Download Codecs Automatically in Windows Media Player for Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;291818

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.
Wes