Heatsink fan hitting ram

specialk916

Honorable
Oct 8, 2012
i have the COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103099 and the fan clips on the side and hits the heat sink of my corsair dominator ram stick, but just barely. it makes the ram sit at an angle and i worry the heatsink is receiving too much pressure too. not to mention the unnecessary vibrations the ram receives from the fan. because of this i decided to clip the fan on the other side of the heatsink. it is still pushing air through the heatsink although it is going in the wrong direction of my airflow going through the case.

I do have 4 200mm fans on my case so im not too concerned with it, but i am a bit of a perfectionist so i was wondering if there are any thinner fans i could mount to it. in retrospect i wish i would have gotten a closed loop water cooler, but hey, it is what it is.

jrayx

Honorable
Jun 9, 2012
I have an Hyper 212 plus, so if your fan is touching the heat sink of the RAM you can do two things:

Set the fan as pull (In the other side of the heatsink, whit the manufacturer sticker facing the rear exahust fan of your case)
CMhyper212plus_ruber.jpg

(You placed the fan wrong, with the blades facing the back of your case, put it the other way arround, with the blades facing the heatsink)
You won't get better temperatures with just a pull configuration, but It'll solve your ram clearance problem.

Another thing you could do is raise the fan a little (The mounting mechanism is based on those plastic clips, two on each side and the fan is height adjustable). Set the fan as push (Standard config) and mount the fan higher from the Ram Heatsink.
I don't know if I explained myself, but that may work for RAM with large heatsinks.

Edit: If you want I can post a picture with the Hyper 212+ fan raised a little from the ram.

specialk916

Honorable
Oct 8, 2012

thank you for your suggestions. i think having it just pull, even if its in the right direction, would not achieve as much cooling as pushing in the wrong direction. i have 2 200mm fans in the top of my case pulling out air so that helps. is there a way to change the direction of the clips? i hadnt even thought of that honestly. also i have the corsair dominator ram so the heatsink is pretty tall so sitting it above the ram would loose at least a half an inch of cooling:(

im sure its OK the way it is, but im just a bit of a perfectionist. my ideal option would be a thinner fan, i just havnt had any luck finding one.

jrayx

Honorable
Jun 9, 2012

Yes you can change the direction of the clips, they have an L Type and if it's the same as the Hyper 212 + you just have to remove some the anti vibration rubber, unscrew the bracket from the fan, and then turn the fan on the right position then place the plastic brackets and screw the fan to the brackets.

CMhyper212evo_rub.jpg

Yeah it's not ideal to put the fan above the corsair vengeance so you may loose some cooling. Search fans under 25 mm in width, I'll try to find good fans.

Edit: Look at some Scythe fans, they sell some slim fans, while they're not great it may work.